Cow vs Bull meat.

Fullfan

WKR
Killed a bull and a cow several years ago within a week of each other. I though the cow was better eating. Both were mature animals.

Most cows are older than the bulls here in CO so from an age standpoint, bulls can be better.

Many years I shoot one of each, the taste is the same, one could be a bit “chewy” vs the other.

Fat amounts are more due to habitat than sex. Age may also be a factor. No different than people and other animals.

The 2 big mature dry cows we shot this year in CO were very lean. The youngish bulls (5 points) I shot the previous 2 years were also very lean. Both taste great.

Fredrik E

FNG
With everything done right when passing the Elk for instead, i cant taste the difference between Cow or Bull

Pokoki

FNG
The two elk I've taken during archery hunts in September showed very little fat. One older cow and the other was a smaller satellite bull.

Holocene

WKR
I've shot a handful of Roosevelt elk bulls on the Oregon coast -- from spikes to very mature bulls. All tasted lights out delicious. The spike was quite young and had pale, veal colored flesh. The older bull had dark flesh, but after some aging was still flavorful. All archery bulls.

Last month, I shot a cow in a late season rifle hunt in Nevada. So far, she has tasted a little bit "elkier" than my previous animals. My wife acknowledged the difference as well.

Looking ahead, I'm curious to track taste variance in Rocky vs. Rosie as I start hunting more out of state.

My guess is that habitat and animal to animal variance has something to do with it. I noticed the same variance in the pile of deer I shot in South Carolina back in the 2000s. Overall great eating, but a few tasted more "deery" than the others.

JakeSCH

WKR
Fat amounts are more due to habitat than sex. Age may also be a factor. No different than people and other animals.

+1

Food and drought conditions will play a bigger role. If I had pick, it would be a bull that has been rutting hard on a drought year...that guy should be lean.

Deadfall

WKR
I've shot a handful of Roosevelt elk bulls on the Oregon coast -- from spikes to very mature bulls. All tasted lights out delicious. The spike was quite young and had pale, veal colored flesh. The older bull had dark flesh, but after some aging was still flavorful. All archery bulls.

Last month, I shot a cow in a late season rifle hunt in Nevada. So far, she has tasted a little bit "elkier" than my previous animals. My wife acknowledged the difference as well.

Looking ahead, I'm curious to track taste variance in Rocky vs. Rosie as I start hunting more out of state.

My guess is that habitat and animal to animal variance has something to do with it. I noticed the same variance in the pile of deer I shot in South Carolina back in the 2000s. Overall great eating, but a few tasted more "deery" than the others.
Prairy animals will be more gamey then hill creatures.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I find the fat and white membrane give the meat the game taste you often hear people talk about. I always trim off as much as possible of both from meat. Then If I think it may need fat for flavor I will use bacon, very little bacon. As for bull or cow, it depends on several factors, most of which have already been mentioned in previous post in this thread. The main thing that make Elk tough is over cooking. 130-140 degrees tops, let sit for 10 minutes.