Cow vs Bull meat.

OP
Short Track
I'm tried of the adding fat arguments. Backstraps cook fine without fat. Burgers cook fine without adding fat. I eat wild game because I want lean healthy meat. If I wanted fat, I'd eat bacon and mcdonalds.

Deadfall

WKR
On a live animal, fat acts as lubricant of sorts for muscles. If a living animal has no fat, the body sucks nutrients from muscle. Hence making the meat tougher then bark.
Nothing can live without some fat. Wild game fat isn't full of drugs making it the healthiest form of meat.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I didn’t care if it is cow or bull, it is lean and healthy meat , the problem is finding it and kill it!

Historically I've found bulls to be a bit gamier than cows, but age certainly plays a role. Fat seems to be about the same and depends on moisture/feed the preceding season.

Wrench

WKR
You'll never eat a leaner piece of elk than a late November / December breeding age class bull. Rut activities are hell on them.

I can't tell any difference or now have old cow, young bull, and 3-4 year old bull and when cooking can't tell any difference. Elk is the best meat IMHO!
Been enjoying the meat off the bull in my profile pic since Sep. No strong taste whatsoever, and he was a dinosaur with teeth worn down and missing from age. To add a little fat and to enhance flavor of steaks on the grill I brush with a mixture of 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup soy sauce, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. That mix is great on beef and deer as well and is very easy for my aging COVID brain to remember. :)

Someone already mentioned it, but processing as well as the circumstances of the kill will impact the flavor of the meat. A stressed animal (think deer drive) or one that was wounded and tracked for a ways may have stronger flavors due to lactic acid buid-up in the meat.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Been enjoying the meat off the bull in my profile pic since Sep. No strong taste whatsoever, and he was a dinosaur with teeth worn down and missing from age. To add a little fat and to enhance flavor of steaks on the grill I brush with a mixture of 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup soy sauce, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. That mix is great on beef and deer as well and is very easy for my aging COVID brain to remember. :)

Someone already mentioned it, but processing as well as the circumstances of the kill will impact the flavor of the meat. A stressed animal (think deer drive) or one that was wounded and tracked for a ways may have stronger flavors due to lactic acid buid-up in the meat.
Try Brown sugar, cooking sherry, and garlic. Pretty awesome combo on a steak.

BDWMT

FNG
Age and diet are the biggest factors. Equivalent age and diet is equivalent meat quality in my experience.