coyote calling question

ams

WKR
Today I used a yote diaphragm in an attempt to mimic yote howls/ distress/barks etc. After about 10 minutes I heard multiple yotes responding with short howls and barks about 4-500 yards away in a gully. They never showed themselves. I followed with some yote distress calls but nothing. This is my first time ever using a call and third time yote hunting so i wasnt sure which call would be best to get them to come in. Any advice?

littlebuf

Banned
using a mouth call and coyote sounds you really need to know what your doing.if they were barking at you it was an alert.maybe they knew you weren't a coyote and maybe they were just letting you know they were there and didnt want you around as another yote.if its the later there would have to be a more aggressive alpha in the group and it helps if its breeding season.if ti is the first scenario (probably the case at least after you started in on them) then its about hopeless once theyve busted you.ive only ever got two coyotes after being busted and that was because they barked at me long enough for me to get around and get a shot. next time you locate a group by coyote vocals stop.no more howling.be quite for a few minutes and then start in with some distress calls.sometimes if the set up is right ill even move a little ways from where i got the response and start in with the prey sounds.that strategy can be pretty productive.

OP
A

ams

WKR
Littlebuf,
Thank you for the help! I'm so new at this i was really happy just to hear some noise. I know a lot of this is trial, error, and adjust but i didnt even consider trying to move around them. I will remember this next time and pick up a rabbit distress call.