Coyote calling & Wind

JeffP_Or

WKR
What does everyone do differently when calling coyotes in windy conditions? Quick search turned up a few mentions but not a lot of direct info.

By windy, I am talking about 20mph+. I hunt some areas of high desert; mostly in the spring when calves have been turned out and pronghorn are fawning and sage grouse are nesting/fledging. I have such poor luck in the wind - and a miserable time getting blown around with 20+mph sustained and 30+ mph gusts, that I no longer make the drive. This year in paricular though, that has resulted in me not getting out. Frustrating. I've bit the bullet twice - endured 3-days of 25-35 mph buffeting wind the first time and 2-days of 20-25 mph the second. Saw 4 coyotes total - two were stumble on while changing stands; two came to water; none were on the call(s).

From what I know, I do the following:
  • Look for draws or tree protected areas; idea is a pocket with less wind impact.
  • Crank up the call; I start somewhat quieter still but go to top levels quickly - levels I never use in 10-15 mph winds.
  • Call a bit longer; same premise as louder calling - just keep after it and give them more time to commit.
  • Just sit on waterholes waiting for them to arbitrarily wander in [works okay with it being super dry this year].
Anything else? Mind you, this is public/BLM land that probably gets a good amount of pressure winter and spring [among all other times].

I have found that the few times dogs have come in windy conditions, they don't rely on sense of smell as much and just come right in.

Thoughts? Opinions? Techniques?

WCB

WKR
Call loud and get close to where you think they are. Honestly unless I'm in a tournament I rarely ever call in much over a sustained 15mph wind. gusting to 30mph? 20mph gusting to 30? If the sun is out and good snow cover (Dakotas) I'll drive and spot them layed up on fence lines, rock piles, back side of ridges sunning themselves. Then sneak in and shoot them or call directly to that specific dog.

If I have to call I get in close to cover and go through a normal calling sequence with a little more volume. I also decrease the distance between my setups. If it is good cover or broken country I may just get up and walk 1/4mile over a ridge or down a draw and call again.

Dirtbag

WKR
I really try to get my other obligations squared away on windy days so I can be sure I can hunt on the more calm days.
With that said, its pretty rare you don't have some wind in the west. On days I do hunt in bad wind I really focus on on very specific spots. Windrows, cattail marshes, brushy fence lines and deep ravines. I focus on calling to bedding areas and bedded coyotes that I can sneak in closer to, so I can be sure they can hear it. I try to get close enough to where I'm confident they can hear it even if I don't call at full volume. Typically at most a couple hundred yards. You'd be surprised as to how capable their hearing is. I think much of it is not that they cant hear it, its just they don't care to deal with the wind if they have had a decent meal already. I came to this conclusion as I noticed I call in way more mange/young coyotes(hungry) in wind than I do healthier adult coyotes.

Yotehntr

FNG
I'm in Tennessee... if there's a 10 mph wind I'm staying at the house. With the cover (tree's etc) they'll go down wind and I'll never see them...

I don't even bother trying in windy conditions anymore. Mostly a waste of time. Might set up near a watering hole late in the afternoon but watch and do not call.

OP
JeffP_Or

JeffP_Or

WKR
I don't even bother trying in windy conditions anymore. Mostly a waste of time.
This is my problem as well - especially since I'm driving 5 hours to get to camp! I do enjoy getting out though so want to make sure I have some options to try that might shift my success.

I do learn a bit more each time so am getting a good picture of pockets to use when it gets tough.

I also decrease the distance between my setups. If it is good cover or broken country I may just get up and walk 1/4mile over a ridge or down a draw and call again.
I like this option and have been trying that too. Thanks.