Coyote Den near Whitetails

I have been hunting a new piece of private this year. Haven’t had much luck. I had a lot of summer pics but when the season started I wasn’t seeing much of anything. We got a good snow yesterday and did some scouting. I didn’t see hardly any tracks where I was hunting so I decided to check elsewhere. Found an area with some giant rubs, a lot of tracks and some beds. Found a good tree and open area to hunt ( which is harder than it sounds since the timber is very Young and lots of undergrowth). I continued to scout. We had only had snow on the ground for 12 hours at the time and I came upon an area where it looked like dogs were penned up. Their were so many coyote tracks that they had packed the snow down like you would see in a dog kennel. Their were 8 or so trails all converging to a ditch line where I assume their den is. This arena is 100 or so yards from where I plan to hang my stand. How do you think this will affect my hunting. Obviously deer still use the area I wanna hunt. Because of the sing I’ve seen. Any opinions out there.

Michael54

WKR
In western pa when a coyote shows up the deer poof instantly as soon as they get a whiff of it. Might wanna set up near the den with a call and a varmint rifle before ohios rifle season starts. If its a den try to shoot the mother first so the pups stick around.

Man same thing has happened to me, middle TN and had deer everywhere this summer and early fall on camera. Now deer are gone and all I get on camera is coyotes. I think I know where the den is as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Do you think snare traps would work. Thought about trapping one right outside there den and leaving it to let them see it dead there. Maybe scare them off.

Michael54

WKR
Do you think snare traps would work. Thought about trapping one right outside there den and leaving it to let them see it dead there. Maybe scare them off.
Ive never had luck with snares. There is other methods but i'm not sure of the legality of them and don't feel comfortable asking pgc. The last thing i need is them thinking im doing something i shouldn't be. And i definitely don't know the rules in ohio. You do need to get them gone however.

You definitely dont want to leave a bunch of xylitol filled meatballs outside the den, that would certainly be illegal. They probably shouldnt sell big bags of xylitol in the health food / natural hippy dippy sections of grocery stores where a guy can buy it with cash instead of having to buy it on amazon with a card.

Last edited:
Kill the yotes. Don’t know the trapping regs there but would be worth figuring out. My buddy learned to trap last season and killed 40 song dogs on the lease! In the good old days poison was the most successful means to get rid of them (and wolves) . Sounds like xylitol would be sweet 😆

Last edited:
Definitely work on killing the yotes. Hunting them can be lots of fun.

But I wouldn't let them pressure you from not hunting deer. I highly doubt those yotes just moved into the area recently. Most likely your deer just moved bedding areas due to weather conditions. Mature deer know how to avoid coyotes. Hunt your deer as normal. If a yote shows up....boom boom.

JR Lewis

FNG
I've successfully hunted whitetail near an established coyote den - hunt it - you may get a bonus...

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
A pack of coyotes isn't going to be scared of a dead one in a snare or trap. They are going to eat it. Like others have said, I'd be hunting deer like normal and not worry too much about the dogs until after the season and then I'd be going after them.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Coyotes are not denned this time of year, just FYI. Therefore, depending on several factors, they may or may not stick around.

First off, whitetails have very different habits and habitat preferences throughout the year. You can have them on camera all summer and then they tend to disappear around the end of September because their food source is shifting.

Whitetail have to deal with coyotes every day of their lives pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. If you have deer sign and a good stand location, hunt it and don’t worry about the coyote tracks. If you see a coyote while you’re hunting and shoot it, retrieve it and get it out of the area immediately. A dead coyote on the ground will deter deer more than live coyotes running around the brush.

If you want your coyotes gone and don’t have the skill set yourself, get on one of the trapping forums and find someone local to assist you.

Poser

WKR
My experience has been that Whitetails and coyotes live in proximity to each other. Deer live in the woods, coyotes also live in the woods. I’ve watched bedded deer remain bedded and still as statues as coyotes regularly traveled downwind along an overgrown fence line and in and out of a hole in the fence throughout the day. In places with a lot of coyotes, a deer can’t ever really be far away from them. The deer just avoid putting themselves in direct scenarios where they encounter coyotes.

Of course, localized behavior can vary, sometimes greatly, from one area to another, depending on factors such as overall pressure, how long coyotes have been in the area, etc.

jmez

WKR
Out here the deer don't pay much attention to them. I watched 4 coyotes hunting moles in an alfalfa field last weekend where several deer were out grazing. The deer would occasionally look up at them.

I see and or hear coyotes every time I go deer hunting. Mostly out on the hay fields where the deer feed.

Snares are very effective on coyotes. They are cheap and easy to set. A dead coyote in one won't scare the others away. A good way to catch 2 of them is to reset a snare where you just caught one. Trapping them is slot of work and you should to check your traps every 24 hrs, most states have laws as such.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Ok then what the hell would you call a ditch that 7 or 8 of them are hanging out in.
Sorry, I wasn’t trying to get your hackles up. I was just letting you know that they are not necessarily tied to that spot. (They only “den” when raising pups... once pups are old enough they do not occupy a hole, and are therefore somewhat nomadic...).
They could’ve killed something and fed on it there, bedded up for the day (they’ll pace around the vicinity a bit before re-bedding), subadult siblings screwing around, intersecting travel corridors where they are marking a scent post, etc

I’m having problems with coyotes on a farm I hunt. I can go pull my cards and 70% of my pictures are coyotes. I’m not trying to put any more pressure on that place than I have to as that’s where my target buck is living. After season I’m going to try and trap some, call some whatever I have to do to kill a few.