Coyote Howling November through January

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone on here can shed some light on here for calling coyotes with coyote vocal sounds almost exclusively using hand calls/reeds on stands November through January. How do you respond after you get a pack to serenade or you get one or two to howl back? What’s your next progression? Do you have the most luck howling and getting responses at first light, last light, or at night? If you want to share a story related to this topic, please post it. I’d love to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tawood

FNG
When I hunt in northern lower peninsula Michigan, I’ve always used a howl just as a locator. I hunt yotes on public land over the winter, and they tend to be scarce in the area I frequent, so the howl/response helps me locate a dog and point me in the direction to set up. Then I switch to injured prey type calls.
Ive had pretty good luck with the Knight and Hale hecklin howler. Admittedly I’ve only tried a couple of different brands of howl calls though.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
When I hunt in northern lower peninsula Michigan, I’ve always used a howl just as a locator. I hunt yotes on public land over the winter, and they tend to be scarce in the area I frequent, so the howl/response helps me locate a dog and point me in the direction to set up. Then I switch to injured prey type calls.
Ive had pretty good luck with the Knight and Hale hecklin howler. Admittedly I’ve only tried a couple of different brands of howl calls though.

That’s a great point! You can’t kill coyotes where there aren’t any. During archery I will go night bugling for bulls to try and locate them for the next morning’s hunt if my typical spots are drawing blanks. Never occurred to me to do that with coyotes.

If it's a group/pair that answers I will cut them off and try to mimic them. If they answer right away to that, I will switch to pup distress.

I usually try to howl a few times to start every stand and sound like a very friendly, lonely coyote. Not uncommon to not get a response until my second howl of the stand though. I usually don't worry if I don't get a response in the daytime, it's cool when they do, but most come in silently to check things out.

I get the most responses at night (I expect responses at every stand at night, but I call differently at night), early morning or evening is probably a toss up.

Some fun public land stories for motivation - I got a response from a pair a mile north, on an evening stand (answered every howl, but never moved in an hour - but really didn't expect them to cross the road to come in). First day that the wind was good I snuck in about 300-500 yards away from where I had herd them. Answered my first howl and charged in when I cut them off. Didn't have time to do anything else.

Favorite stand of all time - First time I took my wife out, when she had a gun in hand. Snuck in to a wide open snow covered field, along a creek bottom about mid morning. On the second howl they responded from the creek right in front of us (they did the thing where it sounds like there are 20 angry coyotes in there). Cut them off, they were more pissed now, then did some pup distress. Watching those three coyotes run straight to us, across the flat wide open field was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Second favorite stand - My buddy hadn't been calling in years (moved away for work) and called me up wanting to go. First spot walking in I could see three coyotes about 1000 yards away messing around (snow cover). Had him sneak about 75 yards in front of me. I howled, they answered, I cut them off they started running straight for us. Took them a few minutes to work their way across this swampy flat bottom, so I gave them some pup distress to keep them running. He shot two of the three at about 25 yards.

Now I'm excited for the season! Hope to do a lot of calling in the next couple of months.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
If it's a group/pair that answers I will cut them off and try to mimic them. If they answer right away to that, I will switch to pup distress.

I usually try to howl a few times to start every stand and sound like a very friendly, lonely coyote. Not uncommon to not get a response until my second howl of the stand though. I usually don't worry if I don't get a response in the daytime, it's cool when they do, but most come in silently to check things out.

I get the most responses at night (I expect responses at every stand at night, but I call differently at night), early morning or evening is probably a toss up.

Some fun public land stories for motivation - I got a response from a pair a mile north, on an evening stand (answered every howl, but never moved in an hour - but really didn't expect them to cross the road to come in). First day that the wind was good I snuck in about 300-500 yards away from where I had herd them. Answered my first howl and charged in when I cut them off. Didn't have time to do anything else.

Favorite stand of all time - First time I took my wife out, when she had a gun in hand. Snuck in to a wide open snow covered field, along a creek bottom about mid morning. On the second howl they responded from the creek right in front of us (they did the thing where it sounds like there are 20 angry coyotes in there). Cut them off, they were more pissed now, then did some pup distress. Watching those three coyotes run straight to us, across the flat wide open field was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Second favorite stand - My buddy hadn't been calling in years (moved away for work) and called me up wanting to go. First spot walking in I could see three coyotes about 1000 yards away messing around (snow cover). Had him sneak about 75 yards in front of me. I howled, they answered, I cut them off they started running straight for us. Took them a few minutes to work their way across this swampy flat bottom, so I gave them some pup distress to keep them running. He shot two of the three at about 25 yards.

Now I'm excited for the season! Hope to do a lot of calling in the next couple of months.

Those are all great scenarios and something else to try out in the field. Thank you!

Dirtbag

WKR
I start howling In January. I always start with invitational/interrogation howls. If I get a response, I'll send another invitation and wait. Many times thats all it takes. If I get more vocalizations I either mimic what they are doing or go into Kiyis. It isn't until end of February where you'll start to get a lot of challenge howls back, and if you get that challenge them as well or go to Kiyis.

The biggest mistake people make is getting impatient and howling too much and not waiting long enough. I have killed a lot of coyotes with a single howl and they'll come in to investigate 25 to 35 minutes later.

Do you guys deer hunt or you just coyote hunt during deer season? Does this affect your deer hunting?

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys deer hunt or you just coyote hunt during deer season? Does this affect your deer hunting?

When I’m out deer hunting, I’m not trying to do any calling for predators with predator sounds. If I see a coyote while I’m out deer hunting, I’ll try and call him closer with quiet little mouse squeaks.