Coyote Hunting Scope .223rem

Dust1n

FNG
What’s everyone recommending for a coyote scope for a .223rem
Max shot will be 500yards (Steel target)
I’m torn between the leupold VXF 4-12x40 CDS
Or
Get a scope that offers BDC
Not looking to spend a whole bunch of money but I’d like it lastbwithout getting knocked out of zero

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Primary arms makes scopes with circles in the reticle for ranging pigs and coyotes, might be worth checking out.

I’ve been looking at the Trijicon Credo for my new coyote rifle. I’m leaning towards the 2.5-15x56.

68Plexi

WKR
I know Nikon doesn't make them anymore but I hav a P223 on my AR for coyotes. BDC is simple, but it also has an exposed turret for long range adjustment. Cheap if you can find one used. Glass is acceptable.

Leupold renamed their LR Duplex the “Creedmoor” reticle and reintroduced it in the 4-12x40 VXF. I have one on my 223. Zero at 200, first dot has me on at 300, second at 400. Makes for a quick system. I used the LR Duplex quite a bit. I always thought it was a really useful reticle for the 0-400 yard hunter. Of course, the scope has to be jacked all the way up to have the dots work right.

BLJ

WKR

I have one of these on my 5.56 with the AHMC reticle. They also offer a BDC and a mil hash in the same scope. I have the 2-12 version on my 308.

I purchased both from Cameralnd. I recommend calling them and seeing what they have. A lot of times they'll have returns or open box stuff at a discount.

GWHunter

FNG
My dad just bought a Swampfox 1-10. Mounted on his AR for general shooting out to 500-600 and coyote hunting I we both like it alot.

I would grab one of the Burris scopes. I’ve got one with the e1 reticle it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s everyone recommending for a coyote scope for a .223rem
Max shot will be 500yards (Steel target)
I’m torn between the leupold VXF 4-12x40 CDS
Or
Get a scope that offers BDC
Not looking to spend a whole bunch of money but I’d like it lastbwithout getting knocked out of zero
I think that the VXF 4-12x40 would be a great choice. If I were to buy a new scope for my long range AR I’d love to have a CDS turret with a zero stop (not sure if this scope has a zero stop). You should be able to set up for MPBR out to 250 (guessing) and dial beyond that.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Over on OpticsPlanet I bought a scope combo package that had 3-5x50mm Veracity... and they include as a bonus a FullField 4.5-14x44. The FullField has a simple reticle that's basically just tick marks along both axis in the reticles at each MOA.

So for that you'd just run a Ballistics table in your favorite ballistics app (I'vejust been using Nikon's Spot-On app) and instead of inches, just have it show the units in MOA for your caliber and load. Then memorize what the MOA's are for each of the common distances you'll need, such as 25yd increments out to 300yd or 500yd.