Coyote kill and cook

TheGDog

WKR
Coyote's not bad. Can have a bit of an aroma that ya might need to first kill with a marinade and good attention to detail when butchering to ensure you've removed all the vicera and silver-skin/tendons. Mostly the vicera. The Vicera sheathing over their muscles.. that isht stinks.

Stalker69

WKR
You got me ! I watched it to actually see you cook it and eat it. I kept thinking no way, then when you were in the kitchen with the pan, I thought damn he is going to try it. Got me Pretty good man! I’ve eaten a lot and I mean a lot of weird stuff but never a coyote.

TheGDog

WKR
Ah... you saw that vid I made, hehe, nice.

In that video I just quickly cut up some chunks and simply put them in Corn Oil. I was really just cooking that for my dogs, but they wouldn't take it. And some guys were daring me to eat some, so I did. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't do it by cooking it in Corn Oil. That made it sit real heavy in my stomach. But like I said I was actually making it for the dogs.

Usually with the trimmings from the Deer, they're all about it. And that same stuff with Deer is um... we'll say similar in stinkyness, but not as strong, and they freaking love it, but it'd make you or me gag and barf. The vicera and silver skin and tendon sheathing.. when you just throw that into a pan with nothing else... it's ick... but they LOVE it! But yeah... with the coyote, seems like they somehow knew it was a canid, I'm guessing.

When I get another one I'm going to try some of the steps I used recently on a Shoveler duck that didn't smell good at all. Turned out pretty good. First putting the pieces in water and salt to draw-out the blood. Several times. Still had some smell so I put it in another fresh change of water and sprinkled a lot of crushed red pepper flake into the water. Back into the fridge to give it time to draw out more blood and kill that scent.

Then when broiling some chicken, the typical brush-on type of seasonings I'd do for them I just went ahead and put the same on the duck. Figure when do a coyote again I'd do a similar process.

Last edited:

RCB

WKR
Haven't tried coyote so can't comment on that. But I will say... I feel like there's this (natural?) tendency for folks to assume that any unusual meat they haven't eaten is gross. Usually the response is in the form of "my uncle told me that his friend had some once and it was terrible!", or something similarly removed. I could be totally wrong, but my assumption at this point is that pretty much any meat slow cooked for 4 hours with plenty of veggies, herbs, and spices is going to taste about the same - though I don't have enough experience to confirm that yet! I seem to recall a meateater podcast that made the same argument: you could throw a house cat in the slow cooker; after a while it all just tastes like... meat. Would like to hear about cases where this didn't work out...

OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
oint is that pretty much any meat slow cooked for 4 hours with plenty of veggies, herbs, and spices is going to taste about the same - though I don't have enough experience to confirm that yet! I seem to recall a meateater podcast that made the same argument: you could throw a house cat in the slow cooker; after a while it all just tastes like... meat. Would like to hear about cases where this didn't work out..
I hear ya. I'm part biochemist so at the molecular level it's all amino acids. That being said, that sucker stunk. My tastebuds are closely tied to my olfactory senses, so it was a definite no for me.

TheGDog

WKR
I seem to recall a meateater podcast that made the same argument: you could throw a house cat in the slow cooker; after a while it all just tastes like... meat. Would like to hear about cases where this didn't work out...

The Bobcat I made in the slow cooker was darn good actually!

TheGDog

WKR
I hear ya. I'm part biochemist so at the molecular level it's all amino acids. That being said, that sucker stunk. My tastebuds are closely tied to my olfactory senses, so it was a definite no for me.
Hrmm... sounds like with your background in biochem you might be able to acertain what compound in it's flesh or viscera are perhaps responsible for us humans not liking the coyote meat scent after freshly skinning them?

Bbushnell

FNG
Great video, Seems more thought out for sure than MeatEaters attempt at eating coyote but I’ll still pass.

I have always wondered what coyote tasted like, but never ate it because I never had to.

you read in the history of the pioneers where they were out of food, and the snakes were everywhere and the wolves were following them and eating the dead. Why not eat the snakes and wolves? I have yet to read about any of them eating them. Just thought I'd share that....

FLATHEAD

WKR
The few yotes I've killed smelled so bad I really didnt even want to touch them.
I might would try some but I dont think I could get past the processing.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I would not eat a dog based on my own dogs habits lol. If starving sure.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro