Coyote Meat

I shot a coyote in March and wanted to try eating one at least once.

I fried up a piece of the backstrap and honestly, other than being a tad more iron-y than most of the venison I've had it really wasn't that different. I just finished making breakfast sausage (4:1 coyote to pork fat) out of the rest of it, and other than having to ride a line between cooking long enough to avoid trichinosis and not cooking so long they dry out they're pretty good.

Has anybody else tried it? What did you think?

Reactions: wyo

Anozira

WKR
I shot a coyote in March and wanted to try eating one at least once.

I fried up a piece of the backstrap and honestly, other than being a tad more iron-y than most of the venison I've had it really wasn't that different. I just finished making breakfast sausage (4:1 coyote to pork fat) out of the rest of it, and other than having to ride a line between cooking long enough to avoid trichinosis and not cooking so long they dry out they're pretty good.

Has anybody else tried it? What did you think?

I give you props for doing what others seem to turn their nose up at. I have only been coyote hunting a handful of times and have yet to call one in but often wondered what I was going to do with it when the time came. You make me want to try it. I think I would be open to the idea depending on the circumstances and as long as it seems healthy and disease ridden.

OP
Boxerboxer
I give you props for doing what others seem to turn their nose up at. I have only been coyote hunting a handful of times and have yet to call one in but often wondered what I was going to do with it when the time came. You make me want to try it. I think I would be open to the idea depending on the circumstances and as long as it seems healthy and disease ridden.
I want to be careful not to make this about how I'm all noble for eating coyote. I don't care if anyone else eats the coyotes they kill, it's just one of those things where I was unwilling to accept without question the conventional line that they're not worth eating, repeated most often by people with no first hand experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
My mom went to a church wild game feed, a guy brought coyote stir fry and labeled it as such. She thought he was joking and took some. As soon as she bit it she was like oh yeah, that’s coyote. She said it wasn’t unpleasant just the thought of it was

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
Boxerboxer
My mom went to a church wild game feed, a guy brought coyote stir fry and labeled it as such. She thought he was joking and took some. As soon as she bit it she was like oh yeah, that’s coyote. She said it wasn’t unpleasant just the thought of it was

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.
Haha, yeah. I offered some sausage to the hunters in the office and while I did get 4 takers there were several guys who said coyote was just too dog-adjacent.

I spent time in China as a kid and went to school with a girl whose dad owned a farm that breeds St Bernards with some smaller (and I assume tastier) breed of dog to sell to restaurants and markets. Maybe that's why dog-adjacency doesn't bother me.

Folks here in South Louisiana eat armadillo, opossum, and nutria, so coyote might be a step up from those, however I have never tried any of them. Not really looking forward to it either, but thanks for your thoughts on it.
I have eaten alligator, which was a little chewy but not bad.

OP
Boxerboxer
Folks here in South Louisiana eat armadillo, opossum, and nutria, so coyote might be a step up from those, however I have never tried any of them. Not really looking forward to it either, but thanks for your thoughts on it.
I have eaten alligator, which was a little chewy but not bad.
You're spot on about croc. Kinda like chewy fish.

mcr-85

WKR
I've never ate one or even entertained the thought of it. I've killed a bunch and they all get thrown out after skinning or left where killed. The only thing that I've seen eat on a coyote, besides bugs, is a Golden Eagle. I've had them get after a few that have been snared.

Pro953

WKR
Interesting. Good on you for trying and deciding yourself.

For some reason I thought the point of avoiding canine family was due to some illnesses that can cross over to people. Same reason wolves were on the No-no list. Maybe like so many of these things is a mix of rumor and bad info that comes with stuff like this.

Not sure I will be filling the freezer with coyote anytime soon but I am glad to see some stereotypical ideas being broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
I've no problem with others wanting to eat coyote. Just not for me. Not sure I can articulate it. They stink, you can't kill one without it pissing and defecating all over itself. Kinda like bears I guess, which I do eat. Guys that have skun and been around a lot of bears, tend not to eat them.

OP
Boxerboxer
I've no problem with others wanting to eat coyote. Just not for me. Not sure I can articulate it. They stink, you can't kill one without it pissing and defecating all over itself. Kinda like bears I guess, which I do eat. Guys that have skun and been around a lot of bears, tend not to eat them.
Interesting. Did not have the issue with bodily fluids on this guy, but of course this is the only one I've ever done. I didn't find it to smell significantly different from the other mammals I've taken (rabbit, deer, squirrel), but it was also shot in sub-zero weather in MN, so perhaps regional diet or temperature is a factor. I would be less excited about saving meat if my experience had been the same as yours.

jspradley

WKR
The general consensus from people who have actually tried it and put effort into cooking it seems to be "Eh... it's alright.. it's meat"

I'd eat a country coyote if I had a chance, no doubt.

As far as them being nasty, ALL mammals are nasty. Elk and deer piss all over themselves and pigs roll around in shit...

Wrench

WKR
I'd feel like a giant dick. I kill a ton of yotes, that's how I get to be friends with bald eagles. The Eagles LOVE to eat yotes.

Wheels

WKR
I shot 2 coyotes while deer hunting mid November last year and piled them up on the back side of my pond dam. Nothing touched them for 6 months, so I will not be eating coyote.

I shot one once and kept the backstaps after skinning. Made fajitas out of it. I don’t remember it being bad at all. My buddy and I had no problem eating it.