Coyote Meat

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I will try it someday when I kill one that ain’t worth selling but ain’t all mangy either. Most things Iv decided to try that most wont have come out very good.

I don't think I can get past the smell of them. Same with bobcats. I eat all kinds of things, but I don't know that I could stand the smell past the skinning enough to get it to a plate.

If someone else prepared it I'd definitely try it. Might change my mind about it as well.

Off top of my head I have tried skunk and eaten snapping turtle a lot.

Read1t48

WKR
The journals of Lewis and Clark suggest that they and their men preferred both wild and domestic dogs over almost any other species of game. I am sure those dogs in the plains were very closely related to the coyote. And I believe their journals also discussed eating coyote

Baron85

WKR
My wife, 2 kids and myself have tried coyote. I try to make it a point to try things atleast once. It honestly wasn’t bad. We used the rear leg and back strap and made some into strips and cooked on cast iron skillet with onions and bell peppers to make fajitas and also put some in a smoker. The taste wasn’t bad but the mental game was tough. My kids and I ate leftovers the next day.

I would not choose coyote over a nice juicy steak but it is definitely not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. My opinion is try it atleast once.

TreyPound

FNG
Coyote Soup

Coyote Hind quarter
cooking oil
2 cups red wine
3 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
spices
2 cabbage heads, chopped
8 potates, chopped

Cut meat into chunks and brown in oil. Add wine, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and your other favorite spices. Cook for 30 minutes. Add cabbage and potatoes. Cook until tender. Serve with hot biscuits or corn bread.

Makes a hearty meal out on the open range.

I eaten "some" mountain lion a few times, not much difference in their lifestyle or eating habits that I can imagine (unless of course you're speaking of cougars on the "left coast"
I cooked up a beautiful piece of badger backstrap at the campfire once, I got it to about an inch from my lips, couldn't get past that "skunky" quality though …..