Coyote pack options

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Let's talk coyote hunting packs. I'm looking for another option for packing two guns (rifle/ shot gun) and my kit. What do you guys use?
Distance from truck is usually less than 1 mile, And often head back to truck between stands. ( rarely hike from one stand to the next but it does happen on occasion.
I run 4 different setups depending on when and where I'm hunting.
Generally I carry
Foxpro caller
Med kit
Batteries
Hand calls
Stadium seat
Mojo decoy ( sometimes)
Full body decoy ( sometimes)
Hand calls
Binos
Range finder
Extra shells
Shooting sticks
Rifle
Shotgun( sometimes)
Kill suit
Drag

My current pack systems

5 gallon pail w lid ( fit with shoulder straps for back pack style carry)
I use this during winter with in deep snow. Or any time I need to be up higher. The pail acts as a seat and gets me high enough to see.
Down side is it's really tough to carry two guns with this setup

Stadium seat bag
I installed zippers on both sides as well as shoulder straps.
This is my run and gun system. Zipped up the seat creates a bag that I toss a few items into and go.

Full pack
Gunslinger ll
This system works great for hauling two guns and its easy to carry longer distances ( one in scabbard one strapped on the side.
Downside to this pack is there is no good way of carrying a seat.

My main coyote pack is a turkey vest with build in stadium seat. The pockets in front carry all my kit and there's room in the big pouch in back to haul my full decoy or extra coat or whatever. I have attached two gun bearers ( one on each side) for hauling guns but since it's a vest not a pack out first fasten to my body tight enough to keep the guns from swinging around a bit. It also pulls on my shoulders as there is no hip belt to distribute the weight.
I live in northern alberta and more often than not snow shoes are also needed so sometimes they get slung on the pack as well.
I'm looking for options for a double gun pack that can accommodate a stadium seat and the bits of gear I need to haul. Any ideas?

My Coyote hunting pack is a Badlands Superday pack.

I carry just about every item you listed although I always bring the scattergun with me and strap it to the pack. My main calling rifle is an AR and I simply carry that on a shoulder sling.

Plenty of extra room in the pack for everything else that you might need.

OP
O

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
My Coyote hunting pack is a Badlands Superday pack.

I carry just about every item you listed although I always bring the scattergun with me and strap it to the pack. My main calling rifle is an AR and I simply carry that on a shoulder sling.

Plenty of extra room in the pack for everything else that you might need.

Do you carry your seat inside your pack? My seat base is about 16"x16" and is 2.5" thick so it won't roll up.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I second the exo pack idea. I have the original skelton frame with the 3500 bag. I carry a rifle with scope in one of the side pockets. It also works well for a muzzleloader for iron sights. It would be easy to carry two guns, one in each side pocket. It would be pretty easy to fit the rest of your gear, sans bucket in the pack. If you were dead set on carrying the bucket you could probably strap it on the outside of the pack in the center using the middle compression strap. It middle strap isnt long enough it'd be pretty easy to rig up an extension long enough to go around the 5 gallon bucket.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I use an X3 lodrag and made straps to put my padded stadium seat on the outside of the pack. Clips on and off real easy. I take two guns, but always carry one because I've jumped a ton of coyotes walking to stands.

coyoteman

FNG
I love my gunrunner. I strap my stadium seat down to my pack and away I go. I don't mess around with trying to carry decoys though and most times I'm only packing the rifle.

WCB

WKR
I just use my Stone Glacier pack...could attach two gun carry systems (one on each side) or a good sling for the rifle over the shoulder and put the shotgun in the pack with the barrel sticking out. Also, lose the drag and just skin them in the field...roll up the hide and stick it in your bag. WAY easier.

mcseal2

WKR
I only carry one gun. I run an Eberlestock Team Elk with a section of a Thermarest Z lite pad under the outer straps. A second gun could be carried on a sling or in hand

I think in my area having minimum visibility setting up kills more coyotes than a second gun, chair, or anything else that takes more time and more movement to set up. A coyote that spots me will almost never come in. I also try to use terrain to funnel them whenever possible.

I usually only carry one gun as well, but my pack is a MR crew cab. I like this because I don't really have to carry an extra seat, I use the pack because it unfolds. This is really handy when there's snow on the ground or its cold out. I also carry a folding Z lite pad in the bottom and that helps to insulate me. There is a pocket against the frame for a bladder, but I usually run a set of puffy pants and jacket in there. I usually leave the main pocket empty since I am sitting on it, so I run a lid on this pack so that is how I carry everything else. If I needed to, I would be able to carry a few rifles/shotguns in the pack.

Most of my coyote/fox hunting includes winter, snow, and lengthy snowshoe hikes over large grazing areas that combine spot/stalk and calling setups as I go. My go-to is a strap pack by Rocky Mountain Pack Systems in Idaho. Check them out if you're into lighter travel.

bbell

WKR
Total newbie with predator hunting but if you are snowshoeing a lot and carrying a lot of gear what about a little sled to haul your stuff? Then you don’t have to carry a huge pack. Also a folding chair would carry a lot better than a bucket. Just my thoughts.

OP
O

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Total newbie with predator hunting but if you are snowshoeing a lot and carrying a lot of gear what about a little sled to haul your stuff? Then you don’t have to carry a huge pack. Also a folding chair would carry a lot better than a bucket. Just my thoughts.

I have used a pulk a couple times but it was a bit of a pain. The 5 gal pail actually works great and is easy to pack cause it's got backpack straps. it's the rifle and shot gun that get tougher to carry with it so I tend to just bring the rifle. In deep snow the folding chair legs sink so far down you end up to low. The bucket packs the snow down and floats on the top well. I did end up figuring out a great pack system that allows me to haul both guns and all my gear easily. My wife totes the stuff for me;-)

The coyote hunting I do never requires much stuff. Carry a rifle, shooting sticks, bino in front... Pack is more like a 3rd hand to tote e-caller and then less than 2 pounds of misc. Pack I referred to is a hip pack with shoulder straps.

Last edited:

SoDaky

WKR
An old book bag carries my call,foam pad and InReach.(on rare occs a short set of snow shoes my be 'tie down' attached)I'll be on my 2nd set of the day by the time some of you guys finish packing.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Some of you guys carry an awful lot of stuff! I use a softball bat/gear bag with a sling. It carries my E-call, folding 3leg chair, a modified music stand to get the E-call off the ground and my trigger stick bi-pod. I keep everything else in a chest pack including my remote, a couple hand calls, spare magazine, critter drag and my NAA 22 revolver in case I need a finisher.

Mg78

FNG
Kifaru express. Mostly because it’s a bag I’ve had and loved for years and holds hydration, a few snacks, and the small amount of stuff I take to the field.