Coyote/Prairie Dog Hunting Central WY

TheCougar

WKR
I am antelope hunting central WY this year, but I didn't draw a deer tag I was expecting. I would like to enjoy my time as much as I can in WY, and avoid going back to Texas as long as possible. I'm looking into fishing/grouse and coyote/prairie dog hunting.

Is there a trick to hunting coyotes and prairie dogs out there? Or are they ubiquitous on the landscape? I kind of feel like I should just bounce from public to public and call for coyotes and look for prairie dog cities. That seems like an overly simplistic plan given how much planning I put in for big game. Are there specific parts of the state, habitats, or features that will hold higher concentrations of coyotes and prairie dogs - or am I over-thinking this? I should add, much like flyfishing, I am inexperienced at predator hunting and my success rate tends to depend on my willingness to find the most remote and uneducated critters...

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, prairie dogs are easy to shoot. Its less hunting and more shooting. A lot of landowners in Wyo will charge you to shoot them but there are still plenty on public land.

Coyotes aren't as easy... different people hunt them a little differently. If you have a good call, good wind, and the ability to make quick shots, you shouldn't have a problem.

Where in Wyo are you planning?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
In my experience, prairie dogs are easy to shoot. Its less hunting and more shooting. A lot of landowners in Wyo will charge you to shoot them but there are still plenty on public land.

Coyotes aren't as easy... different people hunt them a little differently. If you have a good call, good wind, and the ability to make quick shots, you shouldn't have a problem.

Where in Wyo are you planning?

Probably around the Casper area. Although we might head west towards Cody if I can find some hike-in fishing spots with uneducated fish.

Badseed

WKR
Its getting a little late in the season to stumble across a good dog town but they can be found. As was previously mentioned, prairie dog hunting is better described as shooting. In wyoming you can get in a big dog town and shoot pretty consistently for hours. Make sure to bring multiple rifles so you can let them cool down occasionally. There is a prairie dog outfitter that I have used a few times and would highly recommend but they primarily operate central to northern wyoming. If you are interested check out D.C. varmint hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk