coyotes and foxes for fur

So I am considering making it goal to hunt coyotes this winter and selling the fur. I haven't done this since I was in college and, at that time, I had a friend who did the skinning and selling and just gave me a cut after each sale. So, I am a little new to the fur market game. Thus, my questions;
1. for those of you who are selling the furs, Are you skinning them out or just selling them as carcasses? (I would just case skin them)
2. If you are skinning them, What do you do with the carcasses?
3. What is a reasonable number of coyotes to kill in a month if one is fairly dedicated to hunting them?
4. any tips for a guy who is a little green to the fur market game?

duchntr

WKR
Oh nice, plenty of dogs down there. There are buyers down there that will buy whole carcasses so that's what I do when I go down there. There is also a 20 or 25$ bounty per dog in WY which is a nice bonus. I am a novice caller and have no problem calling in dogs in NW Wyoming, hitting them is another story lol. Check out trapperman forums too.

jmez

WKR
Case skin, roll up fur side out and freeze. Thaw fully before selling. I just dump the carcasses back where I killed them.

I don't have a place to keep them on the carcass frozen. They need to stay frozen or they will slip hair.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
Check out Petska Fur on facebook or their website. They show how they want them frozen if on the round. They'll do a pickup route through your area. Colt Violet also buys fur and lives in Sundance now I think. Not sure what his company is called but you can find him on Facebook.

2. Just dispose of them discretely.

3. Why did the chicken cross the road.

4. You are on the edge of the area that has the most valuable coyotes. Lots of resources out there to learn how to put up fur. Also ask for and listen to your fur buyers input, it's in both of your best interests to have fur done how he wants it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don’t base my coyotes on a “per month” basis really. I hunt them every evening on my 200 acre ranch in California for almost 10 years now.

Some months I’ll kill 20, some months none at all. Some years I’ll kill 150, other years 30. One evening I wiped out 2 dens of pups which was the most I’ve killed in one day (14). Your quantities will depend on how often you get into the field and how well you can hunt them.

You can kill many more using good calling techniques along with a good decoy. Get an accurate rifle that you are very comfortable with. Comfortable enough taking jogging shots on the dogs out past 100 yards. Use a caliber that has no recoil so you can get quick follow up shots or double and triple kills. I use a Cooper in .204 Ruger. I shoot the Hornady Superformance 40 grain pills through it. Lethal on the dogs. Plenty of other low kick calibers work great on them. .17 WSM Rimfire, .17 Hornet, .20 Practical, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .22-250, .223 etc.

wytx

WKR
You want coyotes right now to sell. The fur buyers want the long guard hairs still intact and they get rubbed off pretty easily in snow.
Best price will be for dried and stretched furs but as stated Petska will buy frozen on the carcass.
Not all counties have a bounty but the ones that do will want the scalp with the ears intact.
Our coyotes are worth the time to take but put them up right for the best price.

IDMONK

FNG
Learn to put them up skinning, fleshing, drying. It will pay dividends for you. Also go to the fur sales directly.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how much time you have and how involved you want to get . I enjoy putting up fur , but it does take time and requires a place to let them dry . Selling green is quick and easy . Putting them up will net more $$$ .

Petska Fur & Antler WY Routes

Hang them up by both back legs, in cold dark place where the sun cant hit them.

Fox market is in the crapper.

Coyotes are strong to this point.

For most of the US the best time to kill k9's for fur money is 20days either side of of thanks giving.

Your area will vary with abrasiveness of habitat and weather.

Whenever possible the earlier in that harvest window, the better.yote-slider.gif

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how much time you have and how involved you want to get . I enjoy putting up fur , but it does take time and requires a place to let them dry . Selling green is quick and easy . Putting them up will net more $$$ .
Petska Fur & Antler WY Routes

Hang them up by both back legs, in cold dark place where the sun cant hit them.

Fox market is in the crapper.

Coyotes are strong to this point.

For most of the US the best time to kill k9's for fur money is 20days either side of of thanks giving.

Your area will vary with abrasiveness of habitat and weather.

Whenever possible the earlier in that harvest window, the better.View attachment 141412
I'm in northeast Oklahoma and they start going downhill fast about January 1 . Our yotes have yellowish bellies so note that big of a deal . Those pale Wyoming/ Montana heavies are beautiful.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
So I am considering making it goal to hunt coyotes this winter and selling the fur. I haven't done this since I was in college and, at that time, I had a friend who did the skinning and selling and just gave me a cut after each sale. So, I am a little new to the fur market game. Thus, my questions;
1. for those of you who are selling the furs, Are you skinning them out or just selling them as carcasses? (I would just case skin them)
2. If you are skinning them, What do you do with the carcasses?
3. What is a reasonable number of coyotes to kill in a month if one is fairly dedicated to hunting them?
4. any tips for a guy who is a little green to the fur market game?
1. I sell them in the round, un skinned. I’m lazy
2. I also hunt bait when I have the time. Big game scrap, road kill, duck and goose carcasses. If for some reason I skin one it goes to bait
3. I shoot around 20-30 a season, I know guys that shoot a lot more. Like anything else it’s your skill and dedication.
4. Watch your wind, sit twenty minutes minimum if calling. Don’t get frustrated.

I sold four good dogs today for $115.00
Pays for ammo

WCB

WKR
I've done a bit of fur selling and have a really good buddy that is all he does from oct-march is trap and hunt any thing fur bearing. Coyote market the last few years has been great and you should be in prime coyote territory as far as desired fur.

I would personally learn to put the fur up yourself. Even if you just pick out the best ones you kill and put them up then send them to auction. Then sell the lesser fur green or on carcass. This is what my buddy has done the last couple years and they were avg well over $100 for the yotes he picked out and put up. (I believe it was actually around $130 avg). Obviously his overall average fell due to selling the rest not put up and the yotes being lesser.

It depends on how fast you can do them and what they are offering for green or in the round yotes in your area. Personally I rarely even drag a yote out anymore. I just skin them in the field when they are easy and then I don't have to mess with the carcass. Use a tree or fence post and your done in no time (depending on how long it takes you to skin).

so in short:

1. A mix...learn what a good yote is and put those up and send to auction or sell to buyer. not so good yotes sell green skinned

2. I skin in field while hunting. Don't have to deal with carcass or thawing frozen dogs to skin

3. Depends on how good you are and dogs in your area

4. Ask the fur buyer you sell to about your fur (what he sees for quality and where it falls short), and if you put them up how he likes to see them or how you could improve. Properly put up fur is an art of sorts. I have seen what could have been really good fur put up poorly and not get what it should have.

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
We take our coyotes in whole. A buddy of ours skins all of his to save space in his shop but price wise he only gets $3-$5 more per yote than us because his are skinned (depends on the buyer as well im sure, we use Petska because its most convenient). As for numbers, we just kill every one we can. We live on a 7,500 acre cattle ranch and there are more than enough coyotes around that i dont know that we'll ever be able to "put a big enough hurtin" on them that it would affect our year that follows. I will say that if i were going to skin them i would do them before they freeze for sure. Save some frustration and cramped fingers. Good luck on the yotes! I'm still trying to get them figured out to what calls work best at certain times of the year and how to make the most effective set ups with wind and how to use decoys. It's a welcomed challenge.