Coyotes are Getting the better of me. Help

So I’ve been at war for the last couple years the coyotes that have decimated my flock multiple times and losing. I’m in a neighborhood where I can’t hunt them actively with a firearm (1-2 acre lots) I’ve tried foothold traps with no luck, probably lack of skill. Was thinking of trying snares and leaving them in the chicken run. Can you guys who are better versed school me on what to keep an eye out for, good or bad.
Cheers

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Shot gun with a pressure switch flashlight & laser shooting turkey loads. A shotgun is going to have less range than that 22 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NB7

WKR
If you're in a neighborhood with 1-2 acre lots, there's bound to be pet dogs around too. Be very careful setting up 330s like that. In many states it's illegal to set them above the water-line. If you've never handled a 330, best to learn from someone in person.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yeah, I've got a couple 220's and even they are scary.
And not recommended anywhere around other people/pets.

What's your budget?
Suppressed with a thermal scope should help you out.
Is there much ag in your county? Could be a govt trapper that would help out?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I had something wipe out my flock one night.
Ended up being a Bobcat. Dont rule them out,
even in suburbs.

TheGDog

WKR
I had something wipe out my flock one night.
Ended up being a Bobcat. Dont rule them out,
even in suburbs.
Esecially since Newscum caved-in to the greenies and had them banned for the next 5 yrs. (Soo wish horrible things on that guy)

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
No way I would be setting conibears or snares where domestic pets could be running around. Good foot hold traps will work just fine do some reading up on good coyote sets. Clean waxed traps, clean gloves, clothes, good natural sets with the right smells and you will have coyotes in foot holds. It’s not rocket science they are a dumb animal, those foothold traps will still be working when you are sleeping, at work, etc.

OP
Sierra Hunter
No way I would be setting conibears or snares where domestic pets could be running around. Good foot hold traps will work just fine do some reading up on good coyote sets. Clean waxed traps, clean gloves, clothes, good natural sets with the right smells and you will have coyotes in foot holds. It’s not rocket science they are a dumb animal, those foothold traps will still be working when you are sleeping, at work, etc.
Are you sure that coyotes are to blame, or is it fox, or mink, weasels, owls, etc.?
I do know they are at least the main culprit through game cameras and I’ve seen them in the yard, that being said there could always be others playing a role

OP
Sierra Hunter
You’re not wrong, I’ve gotten close (cameras) but grew frustrated and let my trap get rusted. In my situation I have a large run 30x50ft for the chickens and a single turkey. I’m reluctant to place a foothold trap as their likely to set it off, certainly the big ol turkey. That’s what led me to think about a snare as an option. If consensus is a foothold is the best way to go then I may just set it nightly again

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Set away from the chicken runs, the coyotes are coming from somewhere. Go find where they are entering your property and set those trails. There has to be a better spot there to set instead of right on top of the birds.

Don’t be afraid to find the spots where they are coming and going and blind set the trail. Most of the time they are a lot less wary of a blind set with no stink. Just don’t do something dumb like walk right up the trail and set. Approach it from the side, make your set quick and blow out of there.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Set away from the chicken runs, the coyotes are coming from somewhere. Go find where they are entering your property and set those trails. There has to be a better spot there to set instead of right on top of the birds.

Don’t be afraid to find the spots where they are coming and going and blind set the trail. Most of the time they are a lot less wary of a blind set with no stink. Just don’t do something dumb like walk right up the trail and set. Approach it from the side, make your set quick and blow out of there.
I wish I could but I’m surrounded by neighbors. I’m in San Diego county, a bit more rural but still SoCal

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord