Coyotes beat me too it

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
This may have been discussed, but here it is anyway. Had a less than ideal shot on a doe two nights ago. Good blood, thought the shot was better than it was. Ended up bumping her just after dark. Thought it best to wait a while and not jump her again. Went later to retrieve. Coyotes (I assume, we have a mess of em) got to her before me. Ate out the ass and part of the hind quarters. What are y'all doing with the deer?
30818030e35af105eb8b24f0d374ee62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You probably chased em off. Just cut away where the yotes fed and eat the rest. If that doe had been alive when attacked there would be blood everywhere, her heart had stopped so you need not worry about the coyotes transmitting anything into the blood stream.

sdupontjr

WKR
Why take a chance, the season is young. Bring it to an area away from your main hunting area and let them have a buffet.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what state you're in but some in the past have allowed hunters to contact game & fish and turn over the deer so you do not have to use your tag. Never good to have some of your animal eaten, however by the looks of your pic, it doesnt seem that bad. As others have stated, take whats left of the good parts and discard the damaged and possibly contaminated portions. Glad you followed up and were able to recover the deer!

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies! I took what I could from her- front quarters, backstraps, tenders, neck, heart, and the sirloin tip roasts off each hind quarter. Trimmed what I could around the hind quarters for the grinder but after getting the hide off the yotes did gnaw more than I thought.

Question on a couple replies... What would be the "risk" of eating? And also not eating it rare? Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely wondering if transmission of anything is possible. My whole family loves venison. The 8 month old baby I let chew and suck on pieces and she loves it. If I'm cooking backstraps I like to pull them at no more that 120 degrees.

Im interested to read the risks aswell! I think you played it right and the meat will be good just a bummer to lose part of the ham!

Thanks for the replies! I took what I could from her- front quarters, backstraps, tenders, neck, heart, and the sirloin tip roasts off each hind quarter. Trimmed what I could around the hind quarters for the grinder but after getting the hide off the yotes did gnaw more than I thought.

Question on a couple replies... What would be the "risk" of eating? And also not eating it rare? Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely wondering if transmission of anything is possible. My whole family loves venison. The 8 month old baby I let chew and suck on pieces and she loves it. If I'm cooking backstraps I like to pull them at no more that 120 degrees.

As stated above, I don't think the deer was alive as there's no significant amount of blood around her. That being the case, there "shouldn't" be any disseminated disease through the deer that would be considered blood borne. From a zoonotic disease standpoint, I wouldn't worry about anything that you could potentially "catch" from the meat, secondary to coyotes chewing on it. However, I'm going to cover my ass and tell you that anything is possible. To be safe, I would keep the processed and aged meat in the deep freezer for a week or more prior to eating.

Rich M

WKR
I wouldn't eat it. Like someone said - get it where it won;t mess up your hunting and let the coyotes finish it. Maybe set a few snares or traps?

I had yotes chew up a buck I shot a few years back. I went back with a friend to recover within the hour and I pushed them off the carcass. They did similar damage.

I was worried about eating it but did end up taking the straps and front shoulders. I’m still here so I would say you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk