CPM Magnacut (for all the knife nerds)

feanor

WKR
For those of you following the latest greatest knife tech, you’ve probably heard some about Magnacut. I happened to glance at a steel source I go to and found the last 24” of Magnacut they got in. Woohoo! I’ve read a decent bit about this steel, and it seems like a step up in a lot of areas for a very balanced steel overall, with toughness being the more interesting aspect in this stainless steel. Read more here on the development of it https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Once I get a couple knives done, I will post again on its hunting specific performance for you guys.

intunegp

WKR
Ya know I've stared at this reply box way too long to just say "okay", but I'm thinking maybe you should have just waited to post until you have some knives done and tested. Not much conversation to be had here. Magnacut has been popular thus far because it does what it is supposed to do and I'm sure you will have the same results.

Also, my opinion as a knife nerd, is that this is not a forum full of knife nerds. Not even close. The guys here seem to know Havalon, Bugout, and Izula and they like it that way. You'd probably get much better response in a community more focused on knives.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Ya know I've stared at this reply box way too long to just say "okay", but I'm thinking maybe you should have just waited to post until you have some knives done and tested. Not much conversation to be had here. Magnacut has been popular thus far because it does what it is supposed to do and I'm sure you will have the same results.

Also, my opinion as a knife nerd, is that this is not a forum full of knife nerds. Not even close. The guys here seem to know Havalon, Bugout, and Izula and they like it that way. You'd probably get much better response in a community more focused on knives.
Eh maybe, but there are still knife nerds here. I'm sure we're an extreme minority on Rokslide, but it's always fun talking knives with guys who know the know. The guys who actually shape the steel are the ones I'm most interested in. Most users have no idea wtf they are talking about.

OP, I'm interested in your thoughts on it. What heat treat recipe are you using? Cryo treatment? HRC? Let us know your thoughts on grindability when you're done. Plenty of hyped up steels have gone to the way side over the years, I think, because lack of balance.

sndmn11

WKR
For those of you following the latest greatest knife tech, you’ve probably heard some about Magnacut. I happened to glance at a steel source I go to and found the last 24” of Magnacut they got in. Woohoo! I’ve read a decent bit about this steel, and it seems like a step up in a lot of areas for a very balanced steel overall, with toughness being the more interesting aspect in this stainless steel. Read more here on the development of it https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Once I get a couple knives done, I will post again on its hunting specific performance for you guys.

I am in if you make another yukon pattern :)

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in hearing how it works for you but the heat treat and grind would need to be discussed as well.
I heard about magnacut when Larrin first released his data on it and got interested so I contacted Phil Wilson who’s currently building me a 9” filleting knife from it.
I’ve never met a man who could get as much performance from a steel as what Phil does so I’m anxious to give it a try.
No this site doesn’t have many steel or knife nerds but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few around.

sndmn11

WKR
I’m interested in hearing how it works for you but the heat treat and grind would need to be discussed as well.
I heard about magnacut when Larrin first released his data on it and got interested so I contacted Phil Wilson who’s currently building me a 9” filleting knife from it.
I’ve never met a man who could get as much performance from a steel as what Phil does so I’m anxious to give it a try.
No this site doesn’t have many steel or knife nerds but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few around.

When is it done?

I was going to post on Magnacut here and never got around to it, glad to hear someone is giving it a go.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I will certainly post up the specifics when I get done and give as much hunting and skinning specific information as possible. I mainly posted this because I got excited about getting some stock that is hard to come by right now. I would love to see that Phil Wilson filet knife write up too😁.
I also enjoy hearing other people’s experiences when it comes to knife performance in the field and in our given arena of hunting. Not just how many times a knife cuts a braided rope.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
When is it done?

He told me eight to ten months back in July. From previous experience he doesn’t really commit to a time. It’ll be done when it’s done. He’s that good at what he does I wouldn’t care if it took several years.
I’ve got one of his filleting knives in a 7” model made from CPM 154 and it’s the most impressive knife I’ve ever used. From memory it’s ground .003“ behind the edge and has never rolled, chipped, deformed or lost an edge on me. I used to touch it up after a day of filleting fish but now I’m waiting to see how far it can go before I put it back on the stone. It took me a few years to realise it didn’t need any attention after a days work like this

3c58a7d337b90d5db9d579dcac4c7b5d.jpg

Currently it’s processed all of these without losing any bite. It’s got perfect flex and cuts like a laser.

ea10330dcdfee3e5e245736122a40fb6.jpg

a50e0f1b54dc694a7fe62fc10c397c11.jpg

fe5620e77299e879f81aea147cd8c330.jpg

35323d7a04b04769c4cee3de9400d430.jpg

I just want something a little bigger and not having to worry about corrosion means I would take it on the boat. Currently this one stays on shore although I’ve never seen a spot of rust on it.

sndmn11

WKR
He told me eight to ten months back in July. From previous experience he doesn’t really commit to a time. It’ll be done when it’s done. He’s that good at what he does I wouldn’t care if it took several years.
I’ve got one of his filleting knives in a 7” model made from CPM 154 and it’s the most impressive knife I’ve ever used. From memory it’s ground .003“ behind the edge and has never rolled, chipped, deformed or lost an edge on me. I used to touch it up after a day of filleting fish but now I’m waiting to see how far it can go before I put it back on the stone. It took me a few years to realise it didn’t need any attention after a days work like this

3c58a7d337b90d5db9d579dcac4c7b5d.jpg

Currently it’s processed all of these without losing any bite. It’s got perfect flex and cuts like a laser.

ea10330dcdfee3e5e245736122a40fb6.jpg

a50e0f1b54dc694a7fe62fc10c397c11.jpg

fe5620e77299e879f81aea147cd8c330.jpg

35323d7a04b04769c4cee3de9400d430.jpg

I just want something a little bigger and not having to worry about corrosion means I would take it on the boat. Currently this one stays on shore although I’ve never seen a spot of rust on it.
I would be curious if he gets the flex profile you want correctly. I can't remember ever seeing anything "super steel" other than benchmade's knife in s45vn with a flexible profile. I am sure there's a definitive line on one of those knife nerd steel charts that one can't go past on superness without being likely to snap.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I would be curious if he gets the flex profile you want correctly. I can't remember ever seeing anything "super steel" other than benchmade's knife in s45vn with a flexible profile. I am sure there's a definitive line on one of those knife nerd steel charts that one can't go past on superness without being likely to snap.

I prefer a fairly stiff knife relative to the common filleting knives on the market. I take a S35VN filleting knife on the boat and I hate how flexible it is. Time will tell how the magnacut works, there’s a chance he will finish a knife in a different steel in the size I want and I would take it without hesitation and not get the magnacut.

Either way, when I get it I can put some info in this thread. That will be after I’ve given it a good workout. We are just coming into summer now and the water is starting to warm up so the palegic’s will be here soon and I’ll be out as much as possible. I expect the marlin to be around by the end of the month and whatever meat fish we get as bycatch will be turned into food. From now until may there will be plenty of fish to cut up. Winter time means slumming it on the reef like those last pics.

I haven’t bent mine but from what I’ve read, his knives can be bent to 90 deg without taking a permanent set. He works with a few steels most won’t touch.

Anyway, back to the intent of this thread.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
You'd be hard pressed to find a group of knife nerds who get the amount of real world use this group gets. Sure they probably dink around with knives plenty but I doubt they actually put a "grail knife" to work for it's intended purpose.

mcseal2

WKR
I’ve been using the knife I recently had built in the kitchen, on the ranch, and am taking it elk hunting next week. I like to put a knife I’ll carry to remote areas to work. Get a feel for it and learn it before I have to rely on it.

I bet we test them more than most also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about magnacut! Sounds like I need to do some reading. I'm still using a lowly Benchmade bugout in s30v. It's not the steel I want, but it works too darn well to justify a new custom.

TILLER

FNG
I’d like to hear your thoughts on the steel. I’ve had my eye out for a bar, but it seems to sell out quick.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
I've haven't checked in on KnifeSteelNerds in some time, but I'm surprised to see LC200N as tough as it is in their latest evaluation. I just picked up a Spydie Pacific.

Saw a couple posts on Magnacut from TripleBHandmade (just another maker/you tuber )