CPW is now virtue signaling

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I really couldnt care less how others feel about my dog being off leash...it effects me not. It is laughable though how some folks thing their rights trump others...

Daaaaaaaaaang. OP is getting after everyone on this thread. Some passionate dog ownership bud. Just make sure your pup has one of those little dog sweaters on when you push him down the trailhead in one of those little doggy strollers.

Everyone else...carry on.

Broomd

WKR
Sure you would.
This is too much fun. A bunch of grumpy old men, trying to tell other people how to live their lives, I love it.

Carry on folks, you wont be changing any opinions today.
It's that kind of stupidity which prompts us to carry.
You're the guy with the dog that's outta control trying to justify that 'billy behavior.

We should neuter people along with their dogs...

Ratbeetle

WKR
I really couldnt care less how others feel about my dog being off leash...it effects me not. It is laughable though how some folks thing their rights trump others...

Oh the irony...

In my experience off leash dog owners are the most oblivious, self centered people on the trail. Your posts certainly don't do anything to change that opinion.

chasewild

WKR
Find me some stats on your arguement that dogs kill deer/elk., or even spook them farther than a human pushing them..I'd bet it's so seldom, it is not tracked for data. But if you want to speak in hypotheticals, feel free

Complain all you like, mine will continue to run free, where it is permissible under the law

Allen, J.J., M. Bekoff, and R.L. Crabtree. 1999. An observational study of coyote (Canis latrans) scent-marking and territoriality in Yellowstone National Park. Ethology 105:289-302. [APPMA] American Pet Products Manufactures Association. 2007. 2007-2008 APPMA National Pet Owners Survey. American Pet Products Manufacturers Association, Greenwich, Conn. Bauer, M. 2004. Recreation conflict at six Boulder County Parks and Open Space Properties: a baseline study. Boulder County Parks and Open Space, Longmont, Colo. Bekoff, M. 1979. Scent-marking by free-ranging domestic dogs – olfactory and visual components. Biology of Behavior 4:123-139. Bekoff, M., and R. Ickes. 1999. Behavioral interactions and conflict among domestic dogs, black-tailed prairie dogs, and people in Boulder, Colorado. Anthrozoos 12:105- 110. Bekoff, M., and C. Meaney. 1997. Interactions among dogs, people and the environment in Boulder, Colorado: a case study. Anthrozoos 10:23-31. Brown, D.G., K.M. Johnson, T.R. Loveland, and D.M. Theobald. 2005. Rural landuse trends in the conterminous United States, 1950-2000. Ecological Applications 15:1851-1863. Butler, J.R.A., J.T. du Toit, and J.A. Bingham. 2004. Free-ranging domestic dogs (Canis familiaris) as predators and prey in rural Zimbabwe: threats of competition and disease to large wild carnivores. Biological Conservation 115:369-378. Causey, M.K., and C.A. Cude. 1978. Feral dog predation of the gopher tortoise in Southeast Alabama. Herpetological Review 9:94-95. Collins, W.B. 1981. Habitat preferences of mule deer as rated by pellet-group distributions. Journal of Wildlife Management 45:969-972. Coppinger, R., and L. Coppinger. 2001. Dogs: a Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior, and Evolution. Scribner, New York. Cutler, T.L., and D.E. Swann. 1999. Using remote photography in wildlife ecology: a review. Wildlife Society Bulletin 27:571- 581. Daniels T.J., and M. Bekoff. 1989. Spatial and temporal resource use by feral and abandoned dogs. Ethology 81:300-312. Fitzgerald, J.P., C.A. Meaney, and D.M. Armstrong. 1994. Mammals of Colorado. University of Colorado Press, Niwot. Forrest, A., and C.C. St. Clair. 2006. Effect of dog leash laws and habitat type on avian and small mammal communities in urban parks. Urban Ecosystems 9:51-66. Fox, M.W. 1971. Behaviour of Wolves, Dogs and Related Canids. Harper and Row, New York. George, S., and K Crooks. 2006. Recreation and large mammal activity in an urban nature reserve. Biological Conservation 133:107-117. Glennon, M.J., W.F. Porter, and C.L. Demers. 2002. An alternative field technique for estimating diversity of small-mammal populations. Journal of Mammalogy 83:734-742. Gorman, M.L., and B.J. Trowbridge. 1989. The role of odor in the social lives of carnivores. Pp. 57-88 in J.L. Gittleman, ed., Carnivore Behavior, Ecology and Evolution. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, N.Y. Green, J.S., and J. Flinders, 1981. Diameter and pH comparisons of coyote and red fox scats. Journal of Wildlife Management 45:765-767. Halfpenny, J.C. 2001. Scats and Tracks of the Rocky Mountains, 2nd ed. Globe Pequot Press, Guilford, Conn. Henry, J.D. 1977. Use of urine marking in scavenging behavior of red foxes, Vulpes vulpes. Behaviour 61:82-106. Holling, C.S., and C.R. Allen. 2002. Adaptive inference for distinguishing credible from incredible patterns in nature. Ecosystems 5:319-328. Johnson, M.K., and R.C. Belden. 1984. Differentiating mountain lion and bobcat scats. Journal of Wildlife Management 48:239-244. Johnson, W.C., and S.K. Collinge. 2004. Landscape effects on black-tailed prairie dog colonies. Biological Conservation 115:487-497. Knight, R.L., and D. Cole. 1995. Wildlife responses to recreationists. Pp. 51-69 in R.L. Knight and D. Cole, eds., Wildlife and Recreationists: Coexistence Through Management and Research. Island Press, Washington D.C.

Knight, R.L., and K.J. Gutzwiller (eds.). 1995. Wildlife and Recreationists: Coexistence Through Management and Research. Island Press, Washington, D.C. Kohn, M.H, E.C. York, D.A. Kamradt, G. Haught, R.M. Sauvajot, and R.K. Wayne. 1999. Estimating population size by genotyping faeces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 266:657-663. Laurenson, K., C. Sillero-Zubiri, H. Thompson, F. Shiferaw, S. Thirgood, and J. Malcolm. 1998. Disease as a threat to endangered species: Ethiopian wolves, domestic dogs and canine pathogens. Animal Conservation 1:273-280. Lima, S.L. 1998. Nonlethal effects in the ecology of predator-prey interactions: what are the ecological effects of anti-predator decision-making? Bioscience 48:25-34. Lowry, D.A., and K.L. McArthur. 1978. Domestic dogs as predators on deer. Wildlife Society Bulletin 6:38-39. MacArthur, R.A., V. Geist, and R.H. Johnston. 1982. Cardiac and behavioral responses of mountain sheep to human disturbance. Journal of Wildlife Management 46:351-358. Maestas, J.D., R.L. Knight, and W.C. Gilgert. 2003. Biodiversity across a rural land-use gradient. Conservation Biology 24:36-42. Major, J.T., and J.A. Sherburne. 1987. Interspecific relationships of coyotes, bobcats and red foxes in western Maine. Journal of Wildlife Management 51:606-616. Manning, R.E., N.L. Ballinger, J. Marion, and J. Roggenbuck. 1996. Recreation management in natural areas: problems and practices, status and trends. Natural Areas Journal 16:142-146. Mengel, R.M. 1971. A study of dog-coyote hybrids and implications concerning hybridization in Canis. Journal of Mammalogy 52:316-336. Mertz, S. 2002. Compliance with Leave No Trace frontcountry principles – a preliminary examination of visitor behavior. City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks, Boulder, Colo. Miller, J.E., and B.D. Leopold. 1992. Population influences: predators. Pp. 119-128 in J.G. Dickson, ed., The Wild Turkey: Biology and Management. Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, Pa. Miller, S.G., R.L. Knight, and C.K. Miller. 2001. Wildlife response to pedestrians and dogs. Wildlife Society Bulletin 29:124-132. Odell, E., and R.L. Knight. 2001. Songbird and medium-sized mammal communities associated with exurban development in Pitkin County, Colorado. Conservation Biology 15:1143-1150. Ott, R.L., and M. Longnecker. 2001. An Introduction to Statistical Methods and Data Analysis, 5th ed. Duxbury, Pacific Grove, Calif. Peters, G., and W.C. Wozencraft. 1989. Acoustic communication by fissiped carnivores. Pp. 14-56 in J.L. Gittleman, ed., Carnivore Behavior, Ecology and Evolution. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, N.Y. Powell, K.L., R.J. Robel, K.E. Kemp, and M.D. Nellis. 1994. Aboveground counts of black-tailed prairie dogs – temporal nature and relationship to burrow entrance density. Journal of Wildlife Management 58:351-355. Ripple, W.J., and R.L. Beschta. 2004. Wolves and the ecology of fear: can predation risk structure ecosystems? Bioscience 54:755- 766. Sargeant, G.A., D.H. Johnson, and W.E. Berg. 1998. Interpreting carnivore scent-station surveys. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:1235-1245. Sargeant, G.A., D.H. Johnson, and W.E. Berg. 2003. Sampling designs for carnivore scent-station surveys. Journal of Wildlife Management 67:289-298. SAS Institute. 1999. SAS/STAT user’s guide. Version 8.0. SAS Institute, Cary, N.C. Scott, M.D., and K. Causey. 1973. Ecology of feral dogs in Alabama. Journal of Wildlife Management 37:253-265. Serpell, J. 1995. The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behavior and Interactions With People. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. Sime, C.A. 1999. Domestic dogs in wildlife habitats. Pp. 8.1-8.17 in G. Joslin and H. Youmans, coordinators, Effects of recreation on Rocky Mountain wildlife: a review for Montana. Committee on Effects of Recreation on Wildlife, Montana Chapter of The Wildlife Society, Helena, Mont. Soulé, M.E., J.A. Estes, B. Miller, and D.L. Honnold. 2005. Strongly interacting species: conservation policy, management, and ethics. Bioscience 55:168-176. Taylor, A.R., and R L. Knight. 2003. Wildlife responses to recreation and associated visitor perceptions. Ecological Applications 13:951-963. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1999. South Florida multi-species recovery plan. Fish and Wildlife Service, Atlanta, Ga. Watson, A.E., D.N. Cole, D.L. Turner, and P.S. Reynolds. 2000. Wilderness recreation use estimation: a handbook of methods and systems. General Technical Report RMRSGTR-56, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah. Whittaker, D., and R.L. Knight. 1999. Understanding wildlife responses to humans. Wildlife Society Bulletin 26:312-317. Woolf, A., and G.F. Hubert, Jr. 1998. Status and management of bobcats in the United States over three decades: 1970s-1990s. Wildlife Society Bulletin 26:287-293.

chasewild

WKR
I've got this 5 year old pure bred Australian shepherd. He's incredible, basically a Ferrari of a dog. He's on point and command about 82.333% of the time. But the remaining 17% is why he's on leash. It's like the pitbull owners that say "my dog is so sweet" -- ya, except for when he's triggered. Every dog is a dog and dogs bite, chase, etc. So ya, leash is basic.

Probably lost in the weeds at this point but in Walt Protheros book Mule Deer Quest he recounts a story of seeing a dog off leash with a cross country skier. that dog chases a buck and when Walt goes back the next morning the buck is dead.
Could argue a 1000 points but it seems that deer used it last bit of reserves to avoid dog and then froze to death over night.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
I've got this 5 year old pure bred Australian shepherd. He's incredible, basically a Ferrari of a dog. He's on point and command about 82.333% of the time. But the remaining 17% is why he's on leash. It's like the pitbull owners that say "my dog is so sweet" -- ya, except for when he's triggered. Every dog is a dog and dogs bite, chase, etc. So ya, leash is basic.
Bingo. Plus you never know when your dog might feel threatened and snap at someone/ another dog. Also why you should give other people with dogs space. Not everyone is cuddles and fluff all the time.

3forks

WKR
Come back when dogs off leash is actually against the law, till then, your opinions are just that, opinions, and same with CPW, opinions dont make it policy.
Exactly. Every time we see an antelope, deer, moose, etc on a hike, my husky takes a seat where he stood and just watches them, he's mesmerized. He was trained young with an e-collar. And I always clarify with hikers if they are ok with dogs before I let him approach.

Pretty harmful, I know.
The fact that you have a husky tells me all I need know about you (well, that and your posts in this thread).

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
It would help if it was professionally written rather than trying to be witty. Regardless of the message the tone is poor and reads like it was for a high school writing assignment.