CPW is now virtue signaling

Vandy321

WKR
How many of you hike or scout with your dogs?

Not sure who is running their IG, but this is pretty sad. Virtue signaling that you are the natures biggest threat if you let your dog of leash in the backcountry.

The thousands of things I could find that are more damaging than a pile of dog shit off trail.

Is CPW really this ignorant...or is this just the bi-product of letting a millennial from CO run your instagram?
20200223_123848.jpg

Last edited:
Off leash/untrained/aggressive dogs on public lands are actually a huge nuisance to me so I'm not sure I see this the same way.

Thank you to the people who have well behaved, non-aggressive dogs that heel well to voice command and know not to chase anything that runs from it.

I've been bitten by someone's dog that was so far ahead of their owner on the trail that they never witnessed it, leading me to a confrontation with the owner that denies their dog has ever or would ever bite someone. My own well behaved black lab has been viciously mauled in neutral encounters with other dogs on public land.

Untrained dogs chase critters, bite people and other dogs, etc. Its just what they do unless they are trained not to. We need better dog owners, period. I guess I don't see why their IG post fired you up so much. Haven't been bitten yet I guess?

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I'd imagine the # of cattle killed by dogs on public land is extremely minimal. That post has nothing to do with private or leased land.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Off leash/untrained/aggressive dogs on public lands are actually a huge nuisance to me so I'm not sure I see this the same way.

Thank you to the people who have well behaved, non-aggressive dogs that heel well to voice command and know not to chase anything that runs from it.

I've been bitten by someone's dog that was so far ahead of their owner on the trail that they never witnessed it, leading me to a confrontation with the owner that denies their dog has ever or would ever bite someone. My own well behaved black lab has been viciously mauled in neutral encounters with other dogs on public land.

Untrained dogs chase critters, bite people and other dogs, etc. Its just what they do unless they are trained not to. We need better dog owners, period. I guess I don't see why their IG post fired you up so much. Haven't been bitten yet I guess?

Feel free to base your opinion off the few percent of bad dogs and owners out there.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Good. Maybe some hefty fines to accompany so these people quit taking advantage of the outdoors and realize their pooch isn’t so special after all.

Fines for what exactly? Nobody is advocating ignoring leash laws where there are laws in place. But the fact is, many places in the NF or BLM do not have such laws. I just think there are bigger fights for CPW virtue signaling about dogs bothering a few squirrels.

Not sure how letting your dog off leash, off trail is "taking advantage of the outdoors", but whatever you say boss...

Feel free to mail me a citation...for the law I didnt break

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
My guess is with the recent studies of non-hunting recreation’s impact to elk herds, they feel it’s a factor. I don’t understand how you think it’s virtue signaling. If you obey the leash laws with your dogs then move on, no need to bash them for basically doing a PSA on something that is relevant to the health of our elk herds. I’ll tell you anywhere I’ve ever seen a popular trailhead into Wilderness with posted leash signs, I’ve ran across hikers with their dogs running off leash. I’d guess with the hordes of urban/suburban hikers venturing into CO Wilderness areas, it’s a significant problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
My guess is with the recent studies of non-hunting recreation’s impact to elk herds, they feel it’s a factor. I don’t understand how you think it’s virtue signaling. If you obey the leash laws with your dogs then move on, no need to bash them for basically doing a PSA on something that is relevant to the health of our elk herds. I’ll tell you anywhere I’ve ever seen a popular trailhead into Wilderness with posted leash signs, I’ve ran across hikers with their dogs running off leash. I’d guess with the hordes of urban/suburban hikers venturing into CO Wilderness areas, it’s a significant problem.

It's virtue signaling by implying that, even in areas with no leash law, if you let your dog off leash, you are natures worst enemy. That's total lib BS right there.

If they meant this to mean areas where leash laws are in place for a specific reason, to protect a certain animal, plant, etc, then I agree, but that needed clarification.

There are literally thousands of things more damaging to wildlife than a dog.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR

And I agree...if it's a posted/crowded trail, by all means, obey the signs and leash your dog. Not disagreeing with you there. But I'm not talking about maroon bells, I'm talking about off trail, in NF or BLM

When hiking in national forest, my dog gets to run free. Around parking areas, posted trails, and other people/animals on the trail, he is leashed. He listens well and stays within sight. If I'm out exploring, there's no way I'm holding a leash bushwhacking around. If we're looking for sheds or scouting, that's totally unrealistic.

In town, I always have him leashed. In the mountains, I'll let him run.

Oh, by the way, he's never killed nor attempted to kill random animals. He knows we hunt birds and doesn't give much of a shit about anything else.

Last edited:
Oh you’re totally right, OP. Dogs should run off leases on public lands and kill deer and elk (through energy loss while weak, not sure if you’re aware of or care about that concept). They should also have free reign to be a nuisance to people trying to hike without getting harassed by dogs. I like dogs as well but can have a bit of care.

Fatcamp

WKR
When hiking in national forest, my dog gets to run free. Around parking areas, posted trails, and other people/animals on the trail, he is leashed. He listens well and stays within sight. If I'm out exploring, there's no way I'm holding a leash bushwhacking around. If we're looking for sheds or scouting, that's totally unrealistic.

In town, I always have him leashed. In the mountains, I'll let him run.

Well, you could train your dog to heel. That's kind of realistic.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Oh you’re totally right, OP. Dogs should run off leases on public lands and kill deer and elk (through energy loss while weak, not sure if you’re aware of or care about that concept). They should also have free reign to be a nuisance to people trying to hike without getting harassed by dogs. I like dogs as well but can have a bit of care.

Find me some stats on your arguement that dogs kill deer/elk., or even spook them farther than a human pushing them..I'd bet it's so seldom, it is not tracked for data. But if you want to speak in hypotheticals, feel free

Complain all you like, mine will continue to run free, where it is permissible under the law

Last edited: