CPW is now virtue signaling

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of leash guys in here. My dog is on a leash where required, only to satisfy the law. He does not need his leash because he is well trained and listens. When we are in the middle of a public forest, he runs free. Maybe it is a problem in Colorado, but in Az, we have so much public land that I rarely will run into another hiker outside of hunting season. The argument against dogs killing elk is comical to me.... I would love to see some scientific stats on domestic dogs, off leash, killing wild animals. I think more shed hunters should be on leashes than dogs...

Schism

WKR
Find me some stats on your arguement that dogs kill deer/elk., or even spook them farther than a human pushing them..I'd bet it's so seldom, it is not tracked for data. But if you want to speak in hypotheticals, feel free

Complain all you like, mine will continue to run free, where it is permissible under the law

Some quick Google Fu that took me all of 30 seconds to provide. Please keep your dogs on a leash.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind if a dog has manners and it is off leash, but that is usually the person that pisses and moans when they're dog gets in a trap and then wants to ban that. Sadly most people believe their dogs are more behaved then they truly are. The thing is we all need to work together or we will end up losing it all

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Some quick Google Fu that took me all of 30 seconds to provide. Please keep your dogs on a leash.

My dogs dont chase wildlife.

Schism

WKR
My dogs dont chase wildlife.

Your dogs may not chase wildlife. Many dogs do. I was providing information as to why the CPW would ask/require dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with "a pile of dog shit off trail" as you said in your OP.

If all dog owners were as responsible as you, the CPW wouldn't be asking dog owners to keep their pets under control. As is often the case, the laws need to be made to address the lowest common denominator(s) among us.

Jauwater

WKR
Well one time I seen three doe putting pressuring on one of my parents cats, pushing him across the field. Circling him, trying to intimidate him. Sylvester held his own, but who's standing up for Sylvester?! He's gotta get picked on just because he's a smaller breed of a predator race?! He's a cool cat, he doesn't deserve that pressure from these deer!

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Your dogs may not chase wildlife. Many dogs do. I was providing information as to why the CPW would ask/require dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with "a pile of dog shit off trail" as you said in your OP.

If all dog owners were as responsible as you, the CPW wouldn't be asking dog owners to keep their pets under control. As is often the case, the laws need to be made to address the lowest common denominator(s) among us.

CP

I disagree that if we all just followed the rules, the gov't wouldnt need to make laws. Point of my post was, they are shaming dog owners and passing along a false narrative that dogs off leash is illegal. In some areas, it is, but their post implies that all of colorado is a leash area, which is false. And I can do without the government trying to tell me that my dog is the #1 threat to nature, that is just laughable, especially from the state gov't... Especially on an instagram account most likely run by a 20 something Bernie Sanders supporter. Give me a break CO.

Find me some stats on your arguement that dogs kill deer/elk., or even spook them farther than a human pushing them..I'd bet it's so seldom, it is not tracked for data. But if you want to speak in hypotheticals, feel free

Complain all you like, mine will continue to run free, where it is permissible under the law

Spend 20 seconds researching and you’ll find a bunch of research suggesting that making animals move in late winter increases death rates.

The fact that you don’t know this is troubling.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Spend 20 seconds researching and you’ll find a bunch of research suggesting that making animals move in late winter increases death rates.

The fact that you don’t know this is troubling.

Late winter, you mean when the Rockies are covered in feet of snow. Yeah, pretty sure I'm not out pushing animals with my dogs in zero degree temps. I respect the fact that shed season is late spring, for good reason, and I do not hit the woods until then, at risk of pushing weak animals myself.

Please do keep on making flase assumptions to back your theory.

Late winter, you mean when the Rockies are covered in feet of snow. Yeah, pretty sure I'm not out pushing animals with my dogs in zero degree temps. I respect the fact that shed season is late spring, for good reason, and I do not hit the woods until then, at risk of pushing weak animals myself.

Please do keep on making flase assumptions to back your theory.

If you are waiting until April before pushing critters on winter range, that’s great.

Ratbeetle

WKR
If I had a nickle for every time some jackhole's "well behaved" off leash dog caused a problem with my leashed dogs, I could buy a guided dall hunt.

For every 100 dogs I run into maybe 5 actually listen and recall worth a damn.

Off leash dogs are a plague out here.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
If I had a nickle for every time some jackhole's "well behaved" off leash dog caused a problem with my leashed dogs, I could buy a guided dall hunt.

For every 100 dogs I run into maybe...maybe, 5 actually listen and recall worth a damn.

Off leash dogs are a plague out here.

That many instances huh? I'd wager maybe your dog is the problem (or its owner)...even on a leash, I've seen some terrible dogs.

According to Business Insider, some 76% of statics are made up...I'd say yours probably falls into that category as well.

Made up statistics are a plague out here😂

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
No way to prove it, bit I'd put a hefty wager on most dogs being for less of a harm to the environment than most hunters/hikers.

The trash left behind, the 4 wheelers off trail, skinning poles cut from live trees, the list goes on.

When's the last time a dog burned down 1000' s of acres of forest?

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
That many instances huh? I'd wager maybe your dog is the problem (or its owner)...even on a leash, I've seen some terrible dogs.

According to Business Insider, some 76% of statics are made up...I'd say yours probably falls into that category as well.

Made up statistics are a plague out here😂

Are you familiar with hyperbole?:rolleyes:

But I'm sure you're right, my leashed dogs are totally the problem. It couldn't possibly be the idiots who let their dogs run 100 yards ahead completely oblivious to what's going on.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Are you familiar with hyperbole?:rolleyes:

But I'm sure you're right, my leashed dogs are totally the problem. It couldn't possibly be the idiots who let their dogs run 100 yards ahead completely oblivious to what's going on.

Hyperbole? Oh, you mean exaggerating your story to try and prove your point.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Yeah and OP doesn’t have the same attitude as the other people who’s dogs run around wild... wait.

Come back when dogs off leash is actually against the law, till then, your opinions are just that, opinions, and same with CPW, opinions dont make it policy.

Last edited: