CPW is now virtue signaling

cnelk

WKR
A couple months back I was in the teller line at the bank. In front of me there was a mom with a young girl about 7-8.

At the teller counter there was a lady with a so-called ‘therapy dog’.

As I and the mom/daughter approached the waiting area, the lady at the teller was finished and as she turned to go, that so-called therapy dog pulled on the leash and came at the young girl.

I pulled the girl behind me and stepped in front of the mom/daughter and told that lady to get that God Damn Dog out of the bank. She didn’t like that but she soon figured out I wasn’t kidding around.

Therapy dogs my ass.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little late to the party!

Anyone watch the "hunting big mule deer" video this weekend?

0c4.gif

I prefer when people leave their dogs at home.

Unless it is a hunting dog in active pursuit of game, leave it at home.

I don't need your stupid dog rummaging through my campsite especially when I've backpacked in several miles. Just leave your worthless mutt at home.

I also don't care for friendly dogs that come running up hoping for attention. Leave it at home.

Bottom line, you may think your dog is a great companion but to everybody else, your dog is a nuisance. Leave it at home.

Train them while they are young and keep working on it all through their lives. 100s of hours have gone into our Australian shepherds and most people don't want to make that kind of commitment. If your not willing to work with your dog you probably shouldn't get one. It is nice to have a ton of subdivision deer to train with:)tala deer.jpg

Foldem

WKR
deadhead.jpgpupper.jpg

My best scouting partner (@Hoot is right up there too lol). Doesn't chase animals, doesn't tell anyone where I hunt, and doesn't snore in the tent at night. He wears and electronic caller but I rarely need to use it.

I like what the CPW put up. Just because it's not a law doesn't mean its not a problem. I'd say most dogs I see out and about aren't trained well enough to be off leash in areas where wildlife are present. You don't have to get triggered if you're not one of the problem people.

Last edited:

lacseul

FNG
This reminds me of one of my dad's craziest Elk stories of all time in CO - couple yrs before me and brother came out with him but so crazy you have to read it! I know the farmer he runs one of the biggest operations around here in west central WI and is an honest man. But if that dog would of been leashed it would still be alive!

Broomd

WKR
Amazing how those with a weak argument start changing the narrative around here.
Overall this topic for me has to do with properly leashing one's dog to avoid issues with people, property and wildlife.
No one is advocating randomly or indiscriminately shooting unleashed dogs. I love dogs and would never consider shooting a friendly dog that is unleashed. That isn't what this is about.
An aggressively dangerous dog is another story, I'd shoot it in a hearbeat if it posed a threat to me or my family.

This all boils down to laziness and unconcerned dog owners. They are the problem. Unfortunatley it isn't legal to shoot them.

"
Best part about this is, my rights dont stop where your feelings begin.

But, you are entitled to your opinion. Thank you for sharing.

You do you, big guy. "

Agreed, as I said "I prefer".

Here's question for all you dog lovers: At what point is it acceptable for me to take action against your dog?

For example, if I have chased your dog out of my campsite twice already, I'm likely to throw rocks at it if it shows up again. If it comes close enough I'm likely to kick it. No I don't think I'm a tough a guy but at a certain point if you aren't keeping your dog under control where do my rights kick in? In my opinion, on a national forest that requires leashes, you surrendered your rights and the rights of your dog when you took it off leash.

lacseul

FNG
This reminds me of one of my dad's craziest Elk stories of all time in CO - couple yrs before me and brother came out with him but so crazy you have to read it! I know the farmer he runs one of the biggest operations around here in west central WI and is an honest man. But if that dog would of been leashed it would still be alive!

I'm not saying it was the right thing to shoot! - but if you put yourself in his spot who knows how it would've turned out - it's just an interesting story that semi relates to the topic. -- Dad: Hey Lee want to go elk hunting we could use one more guy, sure what's the worst that can happen?? IDK this .................

KurtR

WKR
I love little town living not only do we know most people in town if we see a dog generally know whos it is and either call them or take the dog back to their house. If i was in a place with that much population i would not let him off the leash unless i was hunting but sounds like that would suck donkey balls with that many people so probably would not encounter that issue. I just dont under stand why every dog owner would not have a e collar on their dog if it is off the leash. Both my labs would only chase birds(and a cats out of the dumpster swear to god my yellow one would have loved lion hunting) it only took a couple zaps and when bugs bunny or bamby jumped up they just looked at me and said hell no.

IdahoElk

WKR
Was this Great Dane a puppy? Id love to see you (or anyone) single handedly pin an adult Dane that is truly aggressive "to the ground by the neck". Not saying it cant be done, but Id sure like to see it. As an owner of a 160 pound "aggressive" dog (he is trained to be), Id say you are one bad mofo. You'd have better luck trying to put a cougar in a water trough with my dog......

This was a 150lb+ horse that decided to jump on my dog unprovoked. Adrenaline took over and I jumped on its back,grabbed both sides of it's neck and yanked it straight up(hind legs were still on the ground) never letting go until its owner who was getting tossed like a rag doll leashed that beast, I was probably shaking for twenty minutes after. amazing what you can do when adrenaline kicks in. the other dog that attacked was a healer, did the same thing holding its mouth away from me while having a tight grip on each side of its neck,held that thing off the ground until it stopped fighting and handed it to the owner after they put a leash on it. I would do anything to save my dogs,ha!

Well, I guess the first problem is you are camping in a registered campground and expecting privacy. But that's just me being judgy.

To your point...2 things. You are correct, dogs are required to be on leash in a NF campground. Talk to the owners, remind them of the regulations and give them the chance to address it. If they dont, call the ranger and have him address it. 3rd step, throw rocks at the owners, as it's most likely their fault they can or wont control their dog, not the dogs fault. Pretty sure we cant go shooting dogs simply for trespassing. Yes, I did actually look that law up.

There are no leash laws (at least not in the majority of NFs I've looked up, there are probably exeptions, and I'm sure someone will find one) outside of established recreational areas. Don't assume your pay per night campground rules apply to the entire NF, because they dont.

Actually I avoid designated/registered campgrounds like the plague. I most often have disagreeable encounters with dogs and their owners in the backcountry. Perhaps they think that in those areas they can get away with letting their dogs roam free without consequences. It is an infrequent but real annoyance.

I said nothing about shooting dogs.

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here. I stated my preference for people to keep their dogs at home; They don't, I deal with it the best that my patience and desire to avoid conflict will allow. I just ask dog owners to be courteous, however many feel that their dog is entitled to do whatever it pleases.

My favorite is when someone's dog comes snarling up to me and my family while the owner assures me that it is a very kind and well behaved dog.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Actually I avoid designated/registered campgrounds like the plague. I most often have disagreeable encounters with dogs and their owners in the backcountry. Perhaps they think that in those areas they can get away with letting their dogs roam free without consequences. It is an infrequent but real annoyance.

I said nothing about shooting dogs.

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here. I stated my preference for people to keep their dogs at home; They don't, I deal with it the best that my patience and desire to avoid conflict will allow. I just ask dog owners to be courteous, however many feel that their dog is entitled to do whatever it pleases.

My favorite is when someone's dog comes snarling up to me and my family while the owner assures me that it is a very kind and well behaved dog.

I dont disagree with you there. A dog owner has to take responsibility and maintain, at a minimum of voice control over their dogs...you should not be bothered in camp by others dogs, that is not ok.

But, your part about leashes being required in the NF is false. Unless you were referring to campgrounds and "established" recreational areas...or some wilderness areas with posted leash rules.

Bottom line, dog owners, just like gun owners need to be responsible and I'd argue that most are, but a few bad apples will always exists, unfortunately.

Billinsd

WKR
How many of you hike or scout with your dogs?

Not sure who is running their IG, but this is pretty sad. Virtue signaling that you are the natures biggest threat if you let your dog of leash in the backcountry.

The thousands of things I could find that are more damaging than a pile of dog shit off trail.

Is CPW really this ignorant...or is this just the bi-product of letting a millennial from CO run your instagram?
View attachment 156816
Sister state of California, Colorado is lost.

Billinsd

WKR
I can’t stand off leash dogs. I also don’t see how cpw is virtue signaling. My buddies off leash dog killed a fawn once. Leash serve a purpose in my opinion.
Do you stay on the maintained trails whenever you are on forest circus or blm land? Some people venture off the trails and do bad things, people say, like starting fires and what not.

JayTx

FNG
Just remember there are stupid rules for a reason because someone somewhere caused enough problems for the powers to justify it. Does this apply to most people here probably not but I guarantee there are folks who's dogs don't listen and cause trouble. Personally I hate peoples dog in general while in the woods. Simply because 95% of the owners haven't trained their dogs or exercise them regularly. So when they get free they go nuts.

Braaap

WKR
Do you stay on the maintained trails whenever you are on forest circus or blm land? Some people venture off the trails and do bad things, people say, like starting fires and what not.
The fawn that was killed was within city limits in a green belt while mountain biking. The point I was making was that his dog chased down and killed a fawn. I believe that green belt is a leash required area.

I don’t stay on trails on FS or BLM when I’m hunting. Not sure how that is relevant because it wasn’t my dog.

Billinsd

WKR
The fawn that was killed was within city limits in a green belt while mountain biking. The point I was making was that his dog chased down and killed a fawn. I believe that green belt is a leash required area.

I don’t stay on trails on FS or BLM when I’m hunting. Not sure how that is relevant because it wasn’t my dog.
It wasn't my dog either. The point is, the leash laws in California have gotten to the point that you can't really, legally run a dog off leash anywhere, unless you are hunting. That's restrictioning (my new word) my freedom and I take offense. How would you like it if you had to stay on the trails unless you were hunting? Or how about this? I can't count the times I've been hiking on a trail to go hunting and had hikers take great offense. How in the world is it legal to carry a gun in the woods? A hunter might shoot a hiker by accident or on purpose they said. It's not a huge leap from hunting deer to hunting people, some believe. Why if everything got restricted because someone didn't like it, or someone got hurt or someone or animal could get hurt? Why we couldn't do anything. That's where we are headed, bit by bit. "Leash laws are great!!!, people are idiots and/or I don't like dogs. I'm a hunter...wait some people don't like hunting?" Fantastic

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord