CPW - Nov Agenda - Proposing Big Game changes & other info

tdhanses

WKR
Just think of the added pressure in archery if ML dates are removed from it, this will take what 9 days out of the season which will leave fewer days to spread out hunters going.

3forks

WKR
With the boom in archery, shouldn’t we have more influence?

I no longer contribute to the CBA becuase I don’t think they do a good job of representing my interests, but I may have to re-evaluate.

sndmn11

WKR

I no longer contribute to the CBA becuase I don’t think they do a good job of representing my interests, but I may have to re-evaluate.

The CBA was driving the train to get two separate week and a half archery seasons with a separate ML season in between. They lost me then.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
My thoughts. All due respect for archery hunters. That season is 29 days. Most bow hunters I know don't even hunt until the last 2 weeks. I understand completely. The rut and weather. Why do we have 4 rifle seasons? $$$$
I like muzzy for deer and rifle elk first season. They should get rid of fourth season rifle and adjust season dates to make archery first, muzzleloader, then 3 rifle seasons. Back in the day we had archery, muzzy, deer rifle, elk rifle and 3rd combined. Deer and elk would alternate each year. Make everything draw only. You guys have seen the bucks killed 2nd season in Colorado just on this forum. All limited tags. The deer herds have come back some, quality hunts. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

WTFJohn

WKR
It's interesting to watch the archery hunters on here vote only to increase their own opportunity (currently 3 times longer than any other general season), and screw everyone else that comes afterwards. I'm honestly surprised some aren't pushing to match the season dates to OTC antelope, although I guess starting the season 9 days earlier as some suggested isn't far from it.

Bow season should be split into two seasons around/through muzzleloader, leaving the first ~10 days of October quiet in the woods. Want to hunt all 30 days? Grab a B-list for first bow and A-list for second. OTC in general (bow & rifle) should be revisited as well, with more attention paid to the R/NR quotas and overall hunting pressure.

Or we go with that 45 day long matched antelope/elk season, with no other tags issued (no bear, early rifle, muzzy), so that all the bow hunters can hear each other bugle and get good crisp audio of their expandable bouncing off a shoulder blade.

I say all this somewhat in jest as both a bow & rifle hunter, but some of y'all need to look outside of the 'what's best for me?' point of view and start looking at the resource as a whole.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I say all this somewhat in jest as both a bow & rifle hunter, but some of y'all need to look outside of the 'what's best for me?' point of view and start looking at the resource as a whole.
Whether we wear orange or not has no effect on the "resource". Leave that decision up to us.

WTFJohn

WKR
Whether we wear orange or not has no effect on the "resource". Leave that decision up to us.

I'm not advocating bow hunters wear orange, that should be up to the individual. I think that mandating orange is a knee-jerk overreaction to the negligence of the muzzleloader hunter earlier this year.

tdhanses

WKR

Archery still isn’t the orange army and is of little effect on actual management of wildlife, hence the long season, this starts to become more effective there will be a reduction in season length etc.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens but many don’t want to be forced to wear orange/pink so the other option is losing days in the season or shifting them even earlier.

Gerbdog

WKR
After sleeping on this... i'll wear the orange if i can keep that last week of September. Bulls are pretty fired up that last week and i'd be awful sad to lose that. Orange is a small sacrifice and wont stop me from getting in on a bull. I believe the part that irks me is the knee jerk reaction to a 0.0001% situation where someone got shot, yea, that sucks bad, and yea, that should have been preventable, but in typical fashion Govnm feels like it needs to save everyone from one idiot. I get it, laws are made for idiots and not for 99.9% of the population, but still bugs me.

wildcat33

WKR
Maybe Im not following the bear hunting forum enough, but it seems like over the years CPW just keeps adding massive amount of bear tags to deal with a large population. Like the add-ons during rifle season, but have yet to hear of anyone (in person) kill a bear during elk season. Seems like an inept way to try and compensate for CO bunnyhugger laws on no bait/dogs. But I really dont know much about it, interested in what those in the know think.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It’ll be interesting to see what happens but many don’t want to be forced to wear orange/pink so the other option is losing days in the season or shifting them even earlier.
Or leaving it as is, and allowing everyone to make their own decisions on it. It seems these days that everything is going away from personal accountability and making our own decisions. Sheesh.......they don't even want people driving their own cars, they want self driving cars. Just leave us alone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get it, laws are made for idiots and not for 99.9% of the population, but still bugs me.
Ya but we already have laws against negligent homicide that are specifically related to those that are the perpetrators of that negligence. We don't need new ones that now place the responsibility on the 99.9999% to help ensure that the .0001% don't make mistakes. That's the problem. We already have laws.......enforce them, keep those perpetrators accountable, and we press on. So now they want to add a new one that mandates what I have to do to make sure my safety and health is enhanced. That's ridiculous and idiotic.

Gerbdog

WKR
Maybe Im not following the bear hunting forum enough, but it seems like over the years CPW just keeps adding massive amount of bear tags to deal with a large population. Like the add-ons during rifle season, but have yet to hear of anyone (in person) kill a bear during elk season. Seems like an inept way to try and compensate for CO bunnyhugger laws on no bait/dogs. But I really dont know much about it, interested in what those in the know think.
If the unit i hunted the last 2 years offered bear tags OTC with the elk tag i'd have two new bear skin rugs, ive had 3 encounters in the last 2 years at 30 yards or less with big black bears. They dont offer OTC bear tags for that unit, go figure, thats the way it goes haha. I should correct that: they offer them OTC with an elk tag for rifle seasons, but not for archery? I couldnt figure it out but seems to be the way of it after researching (i wanted to take one this year but... i didnt put in the for the draw because i figured it would be OTC with an elk tag.... dumb on my part)

I agree 5milesback, gotta take personal accountability into it instead of trying to protect everyone from themselves. After this season since i hunted ML during archery i actually invested in an orange addon for my pack... because ya know... looking out for myself and personal accountability.... and i dont wanna take a ML bullet to the back.

Foldem

WKR
I will be very, very surprised if archery hunters have to start wearing orange. Splitting the seasons seems like the option that makes the most sense if any change at all takes place?

Archery first 3 weeks of September, then ML the last week of September. Or close archery during the ML season.

CBA will throw a fit if anything changes the current archery opportunities. And the CSMLA is pretty much worthless when it comes to promoting ML to the CPW.
It says "CPW Preferred alternative..." historically that means they have their mind made up.

Not sure if this has been posted yet (apologies if I missed it) but the comment period ends today at noon to send an email to the committee. Here’s the email:

[email protected]

Also, the commission does have an option listed to split the muzzleloader and archery seasons in this document - again didn’t notice this posted in the thread previously, sorry if I missed it

Page 2, bullet 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I sent an email to allast week saying if some dude is shooting at flashes if white, the problem is not identifying the target and orange/pink would t have mattered.

Jay wrote me back asking if a flash of pink/orange would have helped, and I replied no. Someone who is willing to take risky shot from a legal and safety standpoint is going to do so. That shooter didn't know if it was a cow, legal bull, or illegal bull, he just shot. People who shoot at things on a snap have are incidents waiting to happen.

I honestly believe making a mandate for bow hunters to wear orange during ML is going to just have more bow hunters shot. You put the error on the bow hunter not the idiot shooting at a unidentified target. The Bowhunter is not responsible for the idiot shooting at a unidentified target. If the idiots do not see orange, they are going to shoot. I prefer to have other hunters walk right by me and not know I am there than to pin point my location from 100+ yards away. Most bow hunters are not wanting to wear any orange on them. As a bow hunter, I would prefer to see the first week of Archery either share with ML or let ML have the first week of September. Frankly, with all the new modifications to muzzle loading firearms they might as well hunt rifle season.