CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

I understand resident hunters being upset, but if it was difficult to get a non resident license I would not have as great an opportunity to hunt CO. I'm 61 and just started elk hunting a few years ago and wished I would have had the resources to start when I was much younger and still part mountain goat! I took my sons on a cow elk this year and they fell in love with CO. We have elk in TN but its a lottery for about 6 tags. I'll realistically never get chosen for it. My sons are now going to join the RMEF and have become great friends with the guides sons. With the current rules, they can have the oportunity to hunt for years to come.

CoStick

WKR
I understand resident hunters being upset, but if it was difficult to get a non resident license I would not have as great an opportunity to hunt CO. I'm 61 and just started elk hunting a few years ago and wished I would have had the resources to start when I was much younger and still part mountain goat! I took my sons on a cow elk this year and they fell in love with CO. We have elk in TN but its a lottery for about 6 tags. I'll realistically never get chosen for it. My sons are now going to join the RMEF and have become great friends with the guides sons. With the current rules, they can have the oportunity to hunt for years to come.
What resource will be left?

sndmn11

WKR
DOW didn't have budget issues until they were merged with parks and had to take on that money losing hemorrhage
I am ignorant to any budget issues, is CPW in financial ailment?

I think my perspective is that wildlife lived wildly and seemed to survive a-ok for thousands of years. Then people killed a lot of them in settlement, and then management became a thing and is maybe a bit overkill at this point. I tend to believe that the more money that gets pumped into a government agency, the more money they spend and that resets their expectations on what is "needed" because that is what they had to spend. I would wager the cost of the needs is far less than what was spent on the needs+wants+we had to spend this money before the fiscal year was over.

#defundwolves

sndmn11

WKR
Here is my "other" in the first section:

"I agree with this statement: Reissue/leftover hunt codes (licenses) should only be available to RESIDENTS"

I fixed it for ya ;)
Did you click STRONGLY AGREE? I think they were trying to word play trick the bananas out of my monkey mind when I typed mine up.

sndmn11

WKR
Couple things, the race, gender questions at the end? Woke? Why is this needed? One group has preference over another? Total BS........

Why should we have to pay increased prices for the product? One could say a shitty product at that. You realize you could charge $500.00 for a resident tag, and the DOW would still piss it away and "need more"
I didn't think much of this, I would imagine they want to know who cares about that. My wife is black, and more conservative than I, she didn't have a WTF moment when filling it out.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I’m surprised this thread isn’t blowing up. The OTC pressure is unreal. I typically backpack hunt several miles in and people are all over the place.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If we as residents want less nonresidents we need to be prepared to help cover the cost of lost revenue. I’ll ruffle some feathers here and say anybody that wants to whine about an increase should go away and take up golf or checkers.

I didn't think much of this, I would imagine they want to know who cares about that. My wife is black, and more conservative than I, she didn't have a WTF moment when filling it out.

That's fine that you don't care. Non issue, I still think it BS. Not much different than a company asking you if you're black, Asian, gay prior to the face to face interview.

No doubt something has to be done on the OTC topic and there are many options that could be done without making it full on draw but if it's heading that way, why delay the inevitable.

Huntin_GI

WKR
If we as residents want less nonresidents we need to be prepared to help cover the cost of lost revenue. I’ll ruffle some feathers here and say anybody that wants to whine about an increase should go away and take up golf or checkers.
No. We should demand better efficiency of our contributions. CPW hemorrhages through its parks wing. Parks can be funded through the state legislature like all other programs. Propping up the parks department with license revenue from hunting license sales is a scam.

sndmn11

WKR

I'ma do chess maybe, or frolf.

Ucsdryder

WKR
No. We should demand better efficiency of our contributions. CPW hemorrhages through its parks wing. Parks can be funded through the state legislature like all other programs. Propping up the parks department with license revenue from hunting license sales is a scam.
You’re asking for triple rainbows and 5 leaf clovers. You have a better chance of moving mt Everest than controlling government spending. Let’s come up with realistic compromises.

Cap nonresident and raise the price. Yes you will still pay it and come out. Remove whoever is running the disaster at DOW and find a person that truely understands that chasing a dollar is not management. Get rid of the point system. It’s not working. Charge bikers and hikers to use the same land hunters and fishers pay to use. I’ll stop before I get mad.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some talking points I would like to see.
-80/20 at least split. 85/15 would be ideal.
-OTC for residents only. Out of state would be limited to the draw. If getting rid of OTC all together then that would help the Preference points system.
-Leftover and reissue tags for residents only.

I don't see the Preference points being lost for hunting going very well. Getting rid of OTC would pretty much accomplish the same thing on some level. If guys want to hunt they will start burning them knowing they don't have a OTC fall back guarantee.

HUNT JR

WKR
I put in that I think there should be a random pool of tags (say 10%) in the draw and not have 100% of the tags be preference for deer elk and antelope. The hybrid draw is essentially nothing. The way the point system is structured, any new hunter coming to the table is pretty much screwed on the "better" units.

Gerbdog

WKR
Agreed with many of the view points here. Filled out the survey in the same manner. I want to hunt every year here as a resident, in my home state, but i cant deny that some of these OTC units are over crowded. I am willing to pay more to reduce some of this hunting pressure. Does that make me selfish? Maybe. I want to hunt every year in my home state as i said. If that means non-res is going to lose their OTC option? Maybe thats the answer. Maybe i'll pay more to make up the difference. i'm ok with that. It's not that i want to shaft out of state hunters (we hunters need to stick together cause no one else will stick with us) but theres gotta be some perk for living in the state i hunt and the current bombardment of OTC units doesnt feel sustainable to the long term success of the herds in those units.

Last edited: