CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with many of the view points here. Filled out the survey in the same manner. I want to hunt every year here as a resident, in my home state, but i cant deny that some of these OTC units are over crowded. I am willing to pay more to reduce some of this hunting pressure. Does that make me selfish? Maybe. I want to hunt every year in my home state as i said. If that means non-res is going to lose their OTC option? Maybe thats the answer. Maybe i'll pay more to make up the difference. i'm ok with that. It's not that i want to shaft out of state hunters but theres gotta be some perk for living in the state i hunt and the current bombardment of OTC units doesnt feel sustainable to the long term success of the herds in those units.

Nonresident here... I agree with you. With the rise of wannabe Cameron Haynes and Joe Rogans flooding OTC units, something needs to be done. However, residents should not lose their opportunity to put meat in the freezer.

Let residents keep their OTC tags, but make nonresidents draw.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm more curious why people care so much about race/gender questions. Funny how triggered people get over nothing.
It's a waste of question space and data they will collect for... no reason. Wasted man power by the state. Doesnt pertain to hunting at all, i'd have rather asked a question about muzzleloader season in the middle of archery season and the safety requirements surrounding that.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm more curious why people care so much about race/gender questions. Funny how triggered people get over nothing.
Ah, but you failed to answer the question, typical of the left...what does your preferred gender pro-noun have to do with a survey about license quotas and preference points?

Not triggered at all, if you can provide me witb a valid reason why it should matter on that survey, I'm all ears.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
It's a waste of question space and data they will collect for... no reason. Wasted man power by the state. Doesnt pertain to hunting at all, i'd have rather asked a question about muzzleloader season in the middle of archery season and the safety requirements surrounding that.
I'm generally annoyed by these questions when I get them as well. Thinking a little about it, though, it could be useful information. I don't know how/if they'll use it, but the way I would envision it COULD be useful is if they wanted to see if they're getting opinions from all of the users of their resource. Perhaps they have some basis to know percentage of folks of different race/gender that hunt to compare with. If the folks filling out the survey don't relatively represent these percentages, maybe they'll adjust how they get additional comments to try to capture those users that weren't captured with this survey. SO...I don't think it's necessarily useless in this particular survey.

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks for posting this up BTW Cnelk, i have received no notification from CPW about this survey. Only survey i got was the typical "how was your hunt this year?" survey

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, but you failed to answer the question, typical of the left...what does your preferred gender pro-noun have to do with a survey about license quotas and preference points?

Not triggered at all, if you can provide me witb a valid reason why it should matter on that survey, I'm all ears.
See Post #48.

Steve1662

FNG
The resident versus NR points people make are interesting to me. Would love to understand the 'why' on their arguements for or against each side.

Would also love to know the dollars poured into the CO ecomony each fall by the NR OTC crowd. Sure CPW gets their share but so do all the others who service those NRs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didnt know I needed to answer your question. However, you also did not answer mine? I guess we are a couple of lefty's. :rolleyes:

Gerbdog

WKR
The resident versus NR points people make are interesting to me. Would love to understand the 'why' on their arguements for or against each side.

Would also love to know the dollars poured into the CO ecomony each fall by the NR OTC crowd. Sure CPW gets their share but so do all the others who service those NRs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's a healthy chunk im sure, dont think anyone is arguing that. Colorado economy is heavily influenced by tourism (hunting, sking, hiking, tree hugging, all of it) so im sure it would have an effect on the local mountain economies. How big that is? No idea, for the fall season im sure its substantial but the amount of people out just taking pictures of aspens changing colors is enormous also (theyre awful purdy no doubt).

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
It's a healthy chunk im sure, dont think anyone is arguing that. Colorado economy is heavily influenced by tourism (hunting, sking, hiking, tree hugging, all of it) so im sure it would have an effect on the local mountain economies. How big that is? No idea, for the fall season im sure its substantial but the amount of people out just taking pictures of aspens changing colors is enormous also (theyre awful purdy no doubt).

I bet more people travel to Colorado every year to visit dispensaries than nonresident OTC hunters. I would also bet they pump 20x more money into the economy than nonresident OTC hunters...

I'll sum things up pretty easily from someone who stopped hunting CO awhile ago and have no fight in this.....something something something, NRs are to blame, raise the prices on them...something something something...fast forward and the wolves have taken over, NRs still to blame. California 2.0

Obviously sarcasm but not sarcasm 😉

Steve1662

FNG
The article is from 2019 but specific to deer and elk licenses it states $38million from NR vs $7.6 million from residents.

Gerbdog

WKR
The article is from 2019 but specific to deer and elk licenses it states $38million from NR vs $7.6 million from residents.
Well if thats the numbers then i expect zero changes from CO. Thats a big chunk of cash and these things are decided by the money. Update to next years hunting plan: Extinguish resident OTC units and up the cost for non-res OTC units but give them full access *haha* ugh.

stdeb11

FNG
Filled it out yesterday and agree with a lot of the points on this thread. Some ideas that I put on my survey

- possibly split archery seasons for OTC similar to New Mexico structure, early and late. Would break apart the masses
- OTC for residents only
- Non Resident OTC caps
- 80/20 Resident/NR split (at least)

I hope CPW is serious about change to protect the resource and increase hunter satisfaction. However with all the NR $$$ coming in I worry they won't be able to see past the money.