CPW to cut NW Colorado tags by 40% or more

Poser

WKR
The San Juan and Dolores basins (Southwest) are at 179% snowpack as of today with more still to come. Statewide, COlorado is at 140%

Oldffemt

WKR
OTC Elk tags are basically unlimited the way I understand it (could be wrong)
But what good would it be to cut tags and still have unlimited OTC Elk tags?
It’ll do plenty of good….for CPW’s budget
If you haven’t noticed, it’s not about the animals or a quality hunting experience. It’s all about the $$$. Been that way for years.

The San Juan and Dolores basins (Southwest) are at 179% snowpack as of today with more still to come. Statewide, COlorado is at 140%
Is that causing much winter kill or is the winter range still good and accessible?

Poser

WKR
Is that causing much winter kill or is the winter range still good and accessible?

Hard to say just yet. I’d wager that many animals pushed further South than normal but many storms broke heavily over the Southern (western) ranges this year with NM and AZ getting more snow than normal as well.

Holski

FNG

An update CPW releases 5/23/23

sacklunch

WKR
Got to make the money. OTC units will b crowded in 23. Don't geel they give a rat.
CPW run by libs, that’s not an insult, that’s a fact. when have they ever cared about the end result and not just profit/income and political points? Personal opinion, anyways.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was in that area early April, the numbers of elk and deer pushed into a lower elevation valley was insane, you could see a thousand plus elk and hundreds of deer in a short drive around sunset!

The animals I saw were healthy but no idea if there was a substantial winter kill?

Seems the shed season must have been ignored, I saw snowmobile tracks heading into closed areas and there was not a shed in sight, I wasn't looking for them but with the number of animals around you would think a guy would be tripping over sheds!