Cramping during hunts

jodorouse

FNG
All the obvious answers were taken but maybe try not to push so hard up hills. Your muscles are made with some fibers that are more endurance focused (like biking or running steady state) vs ones that are strength focused (squats or pushing add up hills). If you burn up going to fast up hills you over tax your system which then equates to cramping.

I assume you reasonably trained since you chose to hunt that far back. Not sure how you train for an 8 mile pack out other than training with a pack in your back for hours on end for months which seems over the top to me.

I do some ultra running events and the only way I find not to cramp is run the fine line of not over exerting (go slower) or just suck it up and take the risk. Some people are also more prone to it. I just accept it and move on. Like needing to morning poop in the woods no matter what I try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opah

WKR
After a successful pig hunt and late night processing I had mega leg cramps, My Hunting bud gave me some Magnesium tablets the next morning and told me to take some more before packing it in for the night.
It has worked wonders for me.

JohnAK907

FNG
I use wilderness athlete hydrate and recover and just starting using drip drop in combination. I won't go mountain hunting without either and take wilderness athlete day and night and drip drop mid day. I started taking protein powder and mix it with my black rifle instant cover to help with muscle repair too. at the end of the day it really helps me to elevate my feet for 15 minutes over my head to help with feet swelling. We "camel up" I.E drink till you feel like puking at water sources and aim drink at least 3 liters of water a day. In AK where we hunt sheep, we use zip lock bags pushed up against the side of the mountain to catch water even from the smallest trickle to help with hydration and not have to walk 2500' in elevation to get water.

Opah

WKR
Come to think about it, I had and have great morning movements when taking the magnesium, and constipated when not .

By the way my mother said eat a banana before bedtime

Recently became a fan of “Liquid IV”. It’s a powdered hydration supplement that has balanced electrolytes and other ingredients to promote perfusion through the body. And it’s available locally in the “protein bar” dept of many grocery stores.
Got hammered by cramps on a scouting trip this summer. Was sweating like a fat dude in a P-90X class all day. Pushed a LOT of water (till I ran low a couple miles from the truck). Knew I had screwed up my chemistry by not supplementing minerals to go w all that water. I think even my ear lobes cramped up.
Found Liquid IV and am a fan now. It’s in my pack permanently now.

I just looked in the kitchen and that Calm stuff is full of magnesium and makes me drop heat in the morning if I fire some down at night. The gummies are actually pretty tasty for a time bomb.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Along with proper electrolyte ratio in my pack, I carry potassium pills if I do not have a banana and mustard packets. Usually grab a handful of mustard packets on every hunting trip as when a cramp sets on, you get instant relief if you down some mustard. Learned that trick in my line of work where cramping after a hard day is very common.

Seriously?

Just regular old yellow mustard? How long til it gets rid of the cramp? Awesome!

JustinNC

FNG
No back country experience, but for years, I climbed trees for a living in the South Eastern US (HOT AND HUMID). I'd get debilitating cramps at the end of the day, sometimes before the day was over, if I bent over to grab gear or something. I'd drink water all day. Gallons, but still cramped up. ELECTROLYTES.....I don't know the science behind it, but started drinking (against the label's instructions) diluted Pedialyte, and supplementing with Nuun brand electrolyte tablets in my water. Cramps stopped.

I'm sure there are better alternatives than pedialyte, but you can get the stuff at any pharmacy in their brand, walmart, target, etc, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like some of the other supplements out there, even though it is pricey. I'd typically mix one bottle, or packet per gallon of water, and add some Nuun tablets to boost the electrolytes a little.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve used sport legs and works great. Drink a lot of water.

Attachments

• C77D8661-B8AB-4322-9265-EEB497E7AFF3.png
    C77D8661-B8AB-4322-9265-EEB497E7AFF3.png
    836.4 KB · Views: 7

CJohnson

WKR
I live in SC and have worked outside my entire life, played sports, do BJJ currently, and have never had issues with cramping. This year I was packing out an elk and when got back to the trailhead I had super intense cramping. Full body.

I second everything that’s been said about maintaining electrolyte balance in your liquids. I think I was so excited that I just didn’t hydrate properly. I also think we pushed to hard on the first trip out. It took us three more days to get the meat out and we just took it easy and I didn’t have any problems