crampon selection

looking to pick up a set of crampons for some trips im planing this summer and want to get some input. this will be my first set.
things to look for in a set
experience with a particular model
one style over another
anything like that

thanks

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would look at Katahoola micro spikes as well.

Unless you are climbing up some serious ice walls, the Katahoola's will serve you just fine.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had a set of Hillsound trail crampons (clone's to Kathoola Microspikes) give up the ghost on my this year. Several repairs with paracord limped them through most of the 2 weeks this year on Kodiak but the last day one becam unrepaired. The rubber eventrually gets weather checked (how long that takes depends on time afield I guess and terrain used), but I am done with rubber style crampons.

Going to be giving the Kathoola K10 ones, a bit more traction and a bit more robust build.

http://www.backcountry.com/kahtoola-k10-crampon

The my buddy used the Hillsound 6 point crampons and they seem pretty solid too though and quick a bit cheaper, plus the are way quick to get on/off with the ratchet system.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SNSHC6&Page=1&Term=cypress&Hit=1

OP
fillthefreezer
how do these options hold up compared to a more traditional crampon, granted i don't know anything about these but they look kind of jibbo compared to most of the crampons from BD and kahtoola and petal that I've looked at

luke moffat

Super Moderator
how do these options hold up compared to a more traditional crampon, granted i don't know anything about these but they look kind of jibbo compared to most of the crampons from BD and kahtoola and petal that I've looked at

Which ones are you referring to?

ozyclint

WKR
luke- any idea what those kahtoola k10's weigh?
crampons would sometimes be handy when hunting tahr. they aren't something you need all the time though. my tahr hunting is by backpacking in, so they have to be worth the weight penalty for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The K10s are brand new from Kahtoola this year. They are the lightest 10 point crampons on the market. They are still 21 oz per pair. However, I backpack in for my mountain goats and have found crampons more than worth their weight. The amount of energy I save by being able to step wherever I want and still have traction and the slips on steep weight terrain makes me not even worth about the extra 1.3 pounds in my pack when I don't need them.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
The Stubai 6 points are worth a look too. No toe points here so if you are navigating couloirs of remnant snow and ice you'll need something different. The insteps are great on frozen slopes with up to a couple inches of snow. I havnt had mine for more then a couple months at this point but they are standing up to daily abuse, we'll see how long that lasts but the build looks solid.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Kahtoola micro spikes have served me well. Durable and enough crampon for most everything I do. Have not checked out their K10's yet.