Crampons

The Kahtoola K10’s are really great. Always have them when alpine deer and spring grouse hunting in SE. They can accumulate a lot of snow, which then compacts to ice and renders them useless, in soft/wet spring snow conditions. They clear easily enough with a trekking pole. They’re also loud as heck on rocks. I don’t wear them when they aren’t absolutely necessary, but when you need them they’re a lifesaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I train year-round here in Southeast Alaska hiking mountains 1-3 times a week. The Kahtoola MicroSpikes are OK for light ice & snow on trails and usable off-trail, but the metal connectors come loose under any kind of abuse/over-use. Some examples would be running downhill with a heavy pack on hard ice and/or mixed dirt/rocks/ice, etc.

For serious training in moderate ice, deeper snow, and for real hunts, like mountain goat, alpine deer in wet and steep areas (pretty much everywhere around here), we all use Kahtoola K10 crampons. They hold up very well in serious terrain with heavy packs (110-150+ lbs.). They also come with some Kevlar type anti-ice wrap material for the bottom that work fairly well in the wet snow (minimizes build-up).

I have been using the K10's for more than 10 years and rarely go above treeline without them. We usually hike in the winter and early spring with cheap gaiters so we don't rip our Sitka Timberline pants with them - as was mentioned above - it happens regardless of how careful you are. When hunting, we usually either deal with the rips or if the area requires it - we will bring real gaiters (Kuiu/Sitka).

View attachment 166436View attachment 166437
I have an October hunt on Etolin. Would you suggest these for that trip? I doubt I will encounter ice and snow but buckskin down trees are definitely out there. I want to have traction but don't want to high step everywhere either.

Bighorse

WKR
Nevada Mike....I've killed four bulls off of Etolin and won the tag 9 times.
What is your hunt strategy?
Then I can advise if crampons are necessary.

Thanks Bighorse. Our intent is to set up down low with a hearty camp and spike out if weather permits. Would you mind chatting with me?

Last edited: