Crampons

One cautionary note about crampon use - what goes up, must come down. Crampons (especially models with aggressive front points designed for mountaineering/vertical ice) make climbing steep snow/ice very secure once you are comfortable with them. The issue can be retracing your steps and descending, especially with a heavy load. If it is truly steep "don't fall" terrain you'll want to be very comfortable with front pointing your way back down steep slopes with your axe or have a length of rope and a rappel device to descend.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They should get here Saturday but probably like 3 weeks from now the way things are going. I’ll be testing the 2 pairs out side by side and I could do a write up if people are interested although I doubt there’s much of a market on rokslide for crampons, I’m guessing most people who use them are goat hunters and already have them.

Bighorse

WKR
This is my experience using crampons. I prefer the instep crampon style for this reason, I wear them all day. There's no additional shank that stiffens my foot. That's how I prefer to use my feet. I like the mobility of a flexible forefoot as I work the mountain. When I get into technical spots I adjust my footfall to engage the teeth. Descending, which is one of the biggest advantages, the crampon allows me to trust my foot fall. Coupled with poles I can safely navigate off trail situations with a heavy load. Too many spikes create trip hazards in the bushes. Like any tool....It's one I have lots of practice with and have chosen to use. Be safe and practice using your equipment before your life depends on it.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is my experience using crampons. I prefer the instep crampon style for this reason, I wear them all day. There's no additional shank that stiffens my foot. That's how I prefer to use my feet. I like the mobility of a flexible forefoot as I work the mountain. When I get into technical spots I adjust my footfall to engage the teeth. Descending, which is one of the biggest advantages, the crampon allows me to trust my foot fall. Coupled with poles I can safely navigate off trail situations with a heavy load. Too many spikes create trip hazards in the bushes. Like any tool....It's one I have lots of practice with and have chosen to use. Be safe and practice using your equipment before your life depends on it.

not sure what other sort of crampons you’ve used but the ones I ordered are both designed to bend at the bell of the foot so it’s not like your foot is locked flat. Heck even 20 years ago when I was a serious mountaineer the crampons all flexed so you could walk in them. I guess there were the low superfangd that didn’t flex but everything else did.

Bighorse

WKR
Another aspect of the strap on 6point is that the straps mimic the natural ligament formations of the Ankle joint. Coupled with a quality boot my joint is reinforced.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Another aspect of the strap on 6point is that the straps mimic the natural ligament formations of the Ankle joint. Coupled with a quality boot my joint is reinforced.

not sure what that means or how it’s different than any other crampon strap but ok.

If I think I will actually need crampons, I will take a pair of Aluminum semi auto CAMP crampons. They work great with my Scarpa Mont Blanc boots on late season Goat hunts.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Got them today in the mail, man both pairs are light. I’ll get out and test them this week my initial thoughts are that both are superlite and should be great. The grivels are a bit more refined than the camps but the camps seem nice and light and came with a bag, the grivels didn’t come with a bag.

49FD843A-4ADF-4AE6-B887-7E355B4B16D3.jpeg

These are what Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking recommended and they were great. Small spikes for hunting.

Kahtoola KTS I believe.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Loving the grivel air tech and g10s. The camp ones are ok as well I just like the grivels a bit better.

Magnett

FNG
View attachment 187407

These are what Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking recommended and they were great. Small spikes for hunting.

Kahtoola KTS I believe.
So how do these shake off clingy snow. Hunted steep mountains last year in Montana with Kathoola micro spikes. The snow would collect under the ball of the foot and heel and I would have to stop frequently to clean. What a hassle.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So how do these shake off clingy snow. Hunted steep mountains last year in Montana with Kathoola micro spikes. The snow would collect under the ball of the foot and heel and I would have to stop frequently to clean. What a hassle.

most of the real crampons seem to come with a rubber plate that helps kick the snow off at least a bit better than if you didn’t have it.

Petzl Leopard FL crampons are worth considering ...... if you’re not 100% satisfied with what you’ve already got.

Clarktar

WKR
They should get here Saturday but probably like 3 weeks from now the way things are going. I’ll be testing the 2 pairs out side by side and I could do a write up if people are interested although I doubt there’s much of a market on rokslide for crampons, I’m guessing most people who use them are goat hunters and already have them.
Well, how are you liking the two different sets? I can't find my old set of kahtoolas, and need to buy another pair for a upcoming goat hunt. Curious to see what you think about the grivels vs. camps

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, how are you liking the two different sets? I can't find my old set of kahtoolas, and need to buy another pair for a upcoming goat hunt. Curious to see what you think about the grivels vs. camps

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

move only used them a bit, but they are both solid pieces of gear, the grivels are more refined than the camp ones for sure but the camps might actually work a bit better.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions, I ordered 2 pairs, some grivel air tech lights, and a pair of camp aluminum ones. I always used the grivel g12 back in my mountaineering days and I figured since the stone glacier guys reccomend the camp ones they must be good.

mill try them both out and give the other pair to my wife or have a loaner pair. I have micro spikes I just have trouble getting on board with them, they are great for walking around when things are icy but I just can’t imagine hauling a goat out of a rainforest with them.

Which CAMP ones did you get?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which CAMP ones did you get?

mid have to go look them up, they are the green ones stone glacier used to sell which set he same exact thing that cassin made for decades and were used by lots of serious himalayan climbers.