Crampons

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Who takes crampons with them for goat hunts and which ones do you like? There are so many options out there that it’s tough to choose although I can’t imagine there is all that much difference between different models.

Always carry them, and I've done a couple hunts where I rarely took them off, if at all. So far my only experience has been with Kahtoola microspikes, but I've broke several pairs (I use them a lot), and I'm getting tired of replacing them. I just recently purchased a pair of Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro's in the hopes that they will be more durable, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Bighorse

WKR
Petzl Crab instep six points. Sixteen Mt Goats to my name and I'm not dead. I've worn through four sets of em. They are essential goat hunt equipment for the off trail environments of SE Alaska. Stay safe on those steep slopes

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Petzl Crab instep six points. Sixteen Mt Goats to my name and I'm not dead. I've worn through four sets of em. They are essential goat hunt equipment for the off trail environments of SE Alaska. Stay safe on those steep slopes

Do you feel like you just don’t need the front points? Do you ever wish you had them or are you cool with the extra traction?

intrestingly the crab and the micro spikes don’t have front points. I’d really hate to break micro spikes during a hunt.

Bighorse

WKR
I never feel the need for front points. I can tack a slope. If I'm in snow/compact ice I'll have my axe and cut out steps. I end up waddling like a duck sometimes to get quality instep engagement yet stay secure. In mixed terrain situations the six points are optimal.
Keep in mind....I'm typically hunting below 4,500'. If I was in the higher glaciated country of the Chugach and I knew big glaciers were involved with real ice then I'd consider front points.

as.ks.ak

WKR

I’ll sell you a pair, I’m not a fan. They’ve been used once. PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore instep crampons during my recent AK Black Bear hunt. They were not the Petzl Crab's but they were instep crampons. Without a doubt they saved my rear-end on multiple occasions ascending steep wet vegetation hillsides. Never thought of them being useful or part of my pack list given the lack of snow or ice until this hunt. I just bought a pair of the Petzls to add to my gear selection. They clearly can be used for other purposes than just snow or ice covered steep terrain. Definitely something worth having if hunting any sort of steep terrain.

Decker9

WKR
Iv never used them, a few times in late February I wish I woulda had a set vs the micro spikes I use tho.

The fellas that use them, do you use them on all ground? Or just on ice and snow?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Iv never used them, a few times in late February I wish I woulda had a set vs the micro spikes I use tho.

The fellas that use them, do you use them on all ground? Or just on ice and snow?

I have a pair of hillsound crampons that I like very much. I use them on glaciers and snow fields. I’ll take micro spikes if I’m just worried about slick wet grassy slopes.

I got a pair of Hillsound Trails after need/wanting some on a goat hunt....and of course haven't needed them since! Nice to know I have a pair though when the time comes.

tdot

WKR
If you decide to go with Crampons. I recently ordered a set of Petzl Leopard crampons. Something like 1/2 pound lighter then the micro spikes, or any other lightweight crampons that I found. Biggest negative is they are aluminum, so you'll destroy them pretty quick if you walk on stone, but I've always taken crampons off on stone. So dont see it as a negative.

First year using full step in cramp ons and I'll take nothing less for late season goats when I go again, I found the front spike very valuable in certain spots.

I have Black Diamond Sabretooths, and they were great.

as.ks.ak

WKR
First year using full step in cramp ons and I'll take nothing less for late season goats when I go again, I found the front spike very valuable in certain spots.

I have Black Diamond Sabretooths, and they were great.

This. So for all you guys, I hadn’t seen this brand before. I’m very interested if anyone here has used any of these models. The brand is Snowline and they have some pretty sweet spike/crampon hybrid options. Here are a few pics of the diff models. It’s nothing ground breaking, just some different spike options I hadn’t seen before.

2cbcc131b4bde1c74187db8c4f68ed98.png

3224f1db2c9ea27c8126dcb6ccd8c159.png

c36d4e9b3d159197bae35f5ebf537e84.png

fa615c4497ca195563aa16c5b05cbd0d.png

c08eb88cb36a7aeeedc35ee4670740b2.png

28e80022a448689ed22604502c2c1e0e.jpg

JonC

FNG
Grivel Air Techs are really good for weight, they're aluminum and have shorter points so you don't have to pick your feet up as high. They still have full-size front points if you need them, but you can grind them down. Added bonus, the shorter points make it less likely that you stab your leg and rip your pants (which will happen).

I train year-round here in Southeast Alaska hiking mountains 1-3 times a week. The Kahtoola MicroSpikes are OK for light ice & snow on trails and usable off-trail, but the metal connectors come loose under any kind of abuse/over-use. Some examples would be running downhill with a heavy pack on hard ice and/or mixed dirt/rocks/ice, etc.

For serious training in moderate ice, deeper snow, and for real hunts, like mountain goat, alpine deer in wet and steep areas (pretty much everywhere around here), we all use Kahtoola K10 crampons. They hold up very well in serious terrain with heavy packs (110-150+ lbs.). They also come with some Kevlar type anti-ice wrap material for the bottom that work fairly well in the wet snow (minimizes build-up).

I have been using the K10's for more than 10 years and rarely go above treeline without them. We usually hike in the winter and early spring with cheap gaiters so we don't rip our Sitka Timberline pants with them - as was mentioned above - it happens regardless of how careful you are. When hunting, we usually either deal with the rips or if the area requires it - we will bring real gaiters (Kuiu/Sitka).

1585720205595.png1585720303057.png

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the suggestions, I ordered 2 pairs, some grivel air tech lights, and a pair of camp aluminum ones. I always used the grivel g12 back in my mountaineering days and I figured since the stone glacier guys reccomend the camp ones they must be good.

mill try them both out and give the other pair to my wife or have a loaner pair. I have micro spikes I just have trouble getting on board with them, they are great for walking around when things are icy but I just can’t imagine hauling a goat out of a rainforest with them.