Crap You've Broken On Ya Huntin Rig

CorbLand

WKR
Driving my uncles Jeep hunting with my aunt. We were clipping along at a pretty good speed and came to a 90 degree turn. Started to slow down and turned the steering wheel and there was nothing. Ran the Jeep off the road and up a two foot cut bank at about 25 miles an hour.

Used the only thing we had to get it back about 5 miles, which was my aunts bobby-pin. Worked pretty well.

6E34D4D6-4DD0-437E-A132-1E279B278FC7.jpeg
Drove a 70s Bronco back into town about 20 miles with one lug nut on a tire. Put a new fuel pump in that same Bronco in the middle of the desert. Also drove it 20 miles home in first gear because we thought the clutch went out. Come to find out it was a broken cotter pin in the linkage. That sucked to find out 2 hours later. That Bronco was badass but damn, it was frustrating.

Last edited:
Definitely have busted out a window to get keys, drove a few home in 4wd with the rear drive shaft in the back.
Most interesting was a buddys Jeep. He broke front shock and spring and the entire front axel almost came loose...we used ratchet straps to hold back in place to get home. Also have seen fuel boiling in a carb bowl a couple times on Chevy small blocks..thats just vehicles....sxs probably need their own thread.

This thread has potentional.

Anyone busted IFS on 2500/3500 Chebbys?
I've heard for years how the IFS was such a weak link on GM trucks yet I've been driving them for thirty years in some stupid situations and never a problem nor have I ever heard of anyone with a problem. I'm sure it's happened. Definitely not common....sorry.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have broken shocks, belts, lost fuel pump, alternator, ect. that was on my old Toyota Landbruiser. Because I had a tendency to get way off beaten trail, I carried lots of spare parts. It paid off. I Neve got stranded. I rolled it one time but, on that occasion I was not to far from farm and farmed came out with tractor and got me back on all four. $100 and a bottle of wild turkey.

wyosteve

WKR
Had drivers side rear wheel come off my Dodge diesel hauling 4 horses in trailer. Broke 4 studs off and ruined the wheel. Luckily was able to pound the 4 remaining studs straight and mount spare tire with 4 extra lug nuts from glove box. Drove another 150 miles to trailhead over Togwotee pass at 35 mph. Pulled into trailhead at 3 a.m. and was up moose hunting by 6. Took truck to Jackson to be fixed which took 3 days to get parts. In the meantime, killed moose and hauled truck, trailer and horses to different trailhead to wait until truck was fixed. I had the truck in to the tire place a few days before this incident for a tire change/rotation. Apparently they didn't own a torque wrench and lug nuts came loose! Wasn't sure 4 studs would hold a wheel but they did.

I've heard for years how the IFS was such a weak link on GM trucks yet I've been driving them for thirty years in some stupid situations and never a problem nor have I ever heard of anyone with a problem. I'm sure it's happened. Definitely not common....sorry.

I saw a front differential give up in one, but it was chained up on the front in deep snow with heavy throttle for several miles. Not spinning tires and hopping or anything, just maintaining momentum to keep from getting stuck.

Azone

WKR
Wheel bearing assemblies
Drivelines
Transfer case
Rim
Door handles

The fuse between the drivers seat and the steering wheel can really short out some times.

robtattoo

WKR
Last year I ripped out a brand new sidewall on a lump of Sage brush about 16 bad dirt road miles away from cell service or civilization. No spare. Had a reeeeeeally slow limp back to the ranch. Same trip, broke an underbody wire coming from my speed sensor. Couldn't fix the issue on site (I replaced the sensor, thinking that was the issue) & drove 2000 miles home with no speedo & dangerously erratic gear shifting.

2019 I snapped my serpentine belt just outside of Topeka, Friday night. Took out the vacuum pump (steering & brakes) A/C compressor, alternator, both tensioner & idler wheels & smashed the transmission cooler lines. I was stuck there until the following Tuesday afternoon & landed with a $2200 repair & $240 towing bill for that one. I joined AAA a day later.

All of this on my '97 f250

Last edited:

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive blown 2 head gaskets, broke the rear leafs, busted cv joints multiple times on my old 95 Tacoma. Funny how reliable Toyotas are said to be, but my experience is opposite and this thread is like 70% toyota failures. haha

CorbLand

WKR
Ive blown 2 head gaskets, broke the rear leafs, busted cv joints multiple times on my old 95 Tacoma. Funny how reliable Toyotas are said to be, but my experience is opposite and this thread is like 70% toyota failures. haha
Probably because people push their Toyotas. I have seen a lot more Jeeps on the side of the trail than I have ever seen VWs. Doesn't mean that VWs are better than Jeeps. Just means that people use their Jeeps for their purpose. And yes, I have seen a kid on a very rough rode in a VW Passat and he made it to the end.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco

That's actually the argument I was having last night with a co worker when I made this thread😂

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Lack of maintence and the 3.0 Toyota wasn't reliable. I'd say lack of pre-trip inspection is the leading cause of most issues when it comes to bearings, belts, hoses, ect.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Transfer case.
Rear end (ring/pinion/whole thing).
Countless Universals.
Engine Fire ( wiring, battery, fuel line, plug wires, hoses, etc..)
Slave cylinder for clutch.

I saw a front differential give up in one, but it was chained up on the front in deep snow with heavy throttle for several miles. Not spinning tires and hopping or anything, just maintaining momentum to keep from getting stuck.
forgot to mention this was driven in 4x4 for about 90 miles on the highway that morning before getting to the woods. Had no noises or issues. Didnt know for sure what happened first, but case was broken almost in half and there were broken ring and pinion teeth. 88 k3500 tbi 454. logging crummy

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Popped a sway bar link on my dodge ram1500 on a BLM road last week. I changed both out Sunday while I was washing clothes. Glad I brought tools.

Went around a checkerboard corner on a mountain road a little too fast. Slid into the side of the hill with my right front tire. Just so happened a root was sticking out at juuust the right angle. Blew through both sides of the tire, jammed behind the shock and snapped it completely off the truck.