Crate training puppy- HELP

Buck197

WKR
Ignore him, whatever you do, do NOT go back in there and pay him any mind, or let him loose or anything. An old horse training adage I love, EVERYTIME you're around a horse you are training them, you're either training the right thing, or the wrong. If you go back in and yell, slap on the butt, let em out or whatnot, you just trained em that if I whine and yap long enough, hes going to come let me out or whatnot.
Ignore it and only release once he's stopped.

KurtR

WKR
feed in crate and never take him out on his time he is on your time. So if he is not making noise you let him out . When my lab was little even if he fell asleep on the floor he got put in the crate no toys no blankets. Now when he wants to sleep he goes to the crate its his place for quite time. We had 2 nights of whining and then no more. Dogs understand black and white. Being consistent is key. While wolters was a good book back in the day their are much better materials on the market today.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Kurt R.,

any suggestion on the best training book today. I have a nine week old Brittany pup.

Thanks

Buck197

WKR
I've had Brittany, absolutely love the breed. Super intelligent. I'm by no means anything special with this, but personally found exercise exercise exercise. Bits are SMART, they will figure alot of your basic stuff out fast as long as you help to keep them mentally and physically stimulated. For bird dog training, start w it a wing on fishing line and a stick or rod. Work on whoa , patience and staying after it are the essential key. To teach whoa I use a 20' check line wrapped around midsection In a half hitch sorta. It'll give just enuff pinch to get their attention, without hurting. I believe someone mentioned the Wolters book, always heard it's the Bible, I just kinda of do my thing, as it works pretty well for me. If you've opportunity to hunt w someone w a well trained bird dog, a pup will learn a bunch from that once you have the basics entitled.
Sorry haven't read alot of the posts, walking out the door, got young horses to work today. Good luck.

jmez

WKR
Kurt R.,

any suggestion on the best training book today. I have a nine week old Brittany pup.

Thanks
Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long

Training dogs isn't hard, time, patience, consistency, repetition. What you don't enforce you encourage.

Hunting dogs know how to hunt, you don't train that. They need basic obedience and it can't be half assed. Do not give puppies a command you are not in a position to enforce. Teach them one thing at a time. Be heavy on the praise.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Kurt R.,

Thanks
what is your goal with the dog? Just a bird dog or running any trials or dog games? best thing to do is find a club and learn from other people. I am a retriever guy so i joined and hrc club and its the best thing i have ever done.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Kurt, thanks.

My goal is to have an upland hunting dog and a family pet. I will not do any trials or dog games. This is my fourth Brittany and I have hunted them all a lot. All have been good hunters with a few areas where they could have been better.

I want a book to help me train him when young to be an effective hunter.

MT257

WKR
So for those of you who are familiar with the crate training process. I am currently in this process as well- have a 9 week old wpg. During the night she does well about letting us know it’s time to do her thing. My question is we take her out before heading to work then crate. Seems we have hit a pattern. We try limiting water before we head to work and go and let her out at lunch then again after work. In there about 4 hours at a time. Will the pup as she ages grow out of this? Is it cause of the duration she’s in the crate?