Crazy bear hunting idea....

I have had plenty of boars come into my fawn setups the cub idea is original but I would be wary because of the high probability of calling in a sow with cubs and you don't want to orphan cubs!!

netman

WKR
In 2000 my dad and I were invited out to Arizona to hunt predators. We hunted a lot of BLM and San Carlos reservation. I called in and killed several coyotes in the first couple of days. I asked my friend where I could go to kill a cat. He directed me to the higher elevation in the timber. So on the first stand I shoot a bobcat.
We moved down the road a ways and set up. I was using hand calls. One was high pitch and the other was a wounded rabbit sound. I was using the rabbit call making long bleating sounds. In come a whopper black bear jaws popping and huffing ( not sure exactly what the sounds were at the time).
I was seated as was my dad. I had a .17 Remington shouldered ready for a charge. It never happened. We held our ground. Haha
The bear finally left.
Later I was talking with some locals and they said they hunted bears every year with distressed animal calls.
If you want more like minded fellows to talk calling predators go to PredatorMasters.com

Reactions: Guy

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what I've seen at my sister's house in your neck of the woods, I would try slamming two garbage cans together. That should bring 'em running. j/k I've had them come into a rabbit distress call while hunting coyotes on the Uncompahgre Plateau in CO.

JigStick

WKR
We can’t bait here in PA either. And the mountain laurel is worse with South American jungle. We hunt them with drives. It’s really the only way given our environment and regulations.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
My father in law got my son a little black bear ottoman/footstool thing. It’s not real big. Maybe a little smaller than an archery target. It’s pretty lifelike. Could work.

22lr

WKR
Prey is distress may be more effective... but shooting a boar over a cub decoy would make for a way better story! :)

Cervid

FNG
Hello All. Okay keep in mind that I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and at this point we have 5000 black bears. They are at carrying capacity but the laws regarding the hunt ban the use of bait or dogs.

So it is spot and stalk, almost impossible in the thick brushy state. Hunt over corn fields or calling.

From what I could tell from extensive research on the game laws of Massachusetts I can use an electronic call. I have a bear cub in distress on my FoxPro Spitfire. I have used it but not too successfully. I have had "things" move in the brush but never come out for a clear shot or even a good ID.

Sooooo. What about this ?

A bear cub decoy?

I did some searching but cannot find a maker. I wonder if I could get a black teddy bear and use some bear urine as a set up? Again I know it sounds crazy but I do believe it may have some merit.

Also, if anyone knows of a bear cub decoy for sale please let me know. So far I believe I will have to sew one up with some black fleece at the house.

Thank you for your comments.
just curious as to whether you've tried this yet, I have considered the same thing, especially given that sometimes coyotes will come in to coyote pup in distress calls

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's not Massachusetts, but we've used fawn in distress and primos bear buster calls to bring in black bears on Vancouver Island. Works best in May/June when out elk and blacktails are dropping their young.

We usually call to a bear we have spotted that's in a nasty spot and see if we can't being him in closer. It's pretty hit or miss. More often than not they ignore it or run the other way, but sometimes they come closer looking for the source. Maybe a tactic worth trying from a treestand in heavy cover where you are seeing bear sign.

If you do try predator calling for bears, keep your head on a swivel. They are sneaky when they get in predator mode and for a big animal can be very quiet.

This guy showed up out of nowhere just above and about 15 yards behind me when I was calling to another bear a several hundred yards in front of me.

Attachments

• bear.jpeg
    bear.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
On a note though. a fawn bleat/distress is good but don’t over look a simple rabbit distress