Crazy bear hunting idea....

Hello All. Okay keep in mind that I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and at this point we have 5000 black bears. They are at carrying capacity but the laws regarding the hunt ban the use of bait or dogs.

So it is spot and stalk, almost impossible in the thick brushy state. Hunt over corn fields or calling.

From what I could tell from extensive research on the game laws of Massachusetts I can use an electronic call. I have a bear cub in distress on my FoxPro Spitfire. I have used it but not too successfully. I have had "things" move in the brush but never come out for a clear shot or even a good ID.

Sooooo. What about this ?

A bear cub decoy?

I did some searching but cannot find a maker. I wonder if I could get a black teddy bear and use some bear urine as a set up? Again I know it sounds crazy but I do believe it may have some merit.

Also, if anyone knows of a bear cub decoy for sale please let me know. So far I believe I will have to sew one up with some black fleece at the house.

Thank you for your comments.

I would think you would be most likely to call in a sow that has Cubs with that setup. I don't know if does can count or not. She might send her Cubs up a tree and come running. Just something to consider.

Props for creatively. This would take some cajones also.

I would expect a fawn decoy to pull in more boars, though I know sometimes boars will kill cubs.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
There is no Baiting in Mass?. Sorry not sure of the laws there. Here in Alaska we can bait and I took a Blacky this June from my bait. I can also take a grizzly and im about to do that too. I would imagine if your going to call that a predatory call would be the best. Set up a fawn decoy and mimmick a fawn bleet basically as a dinner bell.

tater

WKR
Using a "cub in distress" call will work in rut (late May/early June) to attract black bear boars (they assume another boar is trying to push a sow off of its cubs to breed her, and being territorial they come in fast). I quit doing it when our local grizzly population began to grow, and i called one in while elk hunting.

Otherwise it is a low probablity call any other time of year.

Know how to identify a bear quickly, otherwise you do run the risk of orphaning cubs.

OP
M
There is no Baiting in Mass?. Sorry not sure of the laws there. Here in Alaska we can bait and I took a Blacky this June from my bait. I can also take a grizzly and im about to do that too. I would imagine if your going to call that a predatory call would be the best. Set up a fawn decoy and mimmick a fawn bleet basically as a dinner bell.
Yes. No bait since 1974 & no dogs since 1992 or so.

Black bear 3D target maybe? Then it’s duel purpose but significantly more expensive also.

I had a young boar this spring come into my back yard twice to mangle my 3d deer targets. Really ripped the hell out of one of them. Had brand new inserts in them too. Thought he was going to be a problem, but he seems to have moved on after that. Luckily thats the most destructive thing any of them have done here.

OP
M
I have a Flambeau fawn decoy that I could use with FoxPro that has the wounded fawn sound on it. I see that the fawn decoy and fawn in distress is the way to go.

Today I did some practice with the Ruger SRH in 480. Nice grouping with the Hornady factory load of 325 grain XTP HP at 1350 .

Reactions: Guy

adamm88

WKR
What about getting 4-5 friends and drive them like deer. Thats how most are killed in pa.

Also if your allowed to call I would keep it at your feet, if the habitat is as thick as I imagine you want hin searching for the sound, if the sound is closer to you the better chance it has of showing itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all units allow baiting. 17 didn’t. I don’t think 21 did either.

Rob5589

WKR
Little late to the party but, CA has the same restrictions, and a booming bear population. A fawn dec and call sounds like it may be the ticket here as well.

Diesel

WKR
Hello All. Okay keep in mind that I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and at this point we have 5000 black bears. They are at carrying capacity but the laws regarding the hunt ban the use of bait or dogs.

So it is spot and stalk, almost impossible in the thick brushy state. Hunt over corn fields or calling.

From what I could tell from extensive research on the game laws of Massachusetts I can use an electronic call. I have a bear cub in distress on my FoxPro Spitfire. I have used it but not too successfully. I have had "things" move in the brush but never come out for a clear shot or even a good ID.

Sooooo. What about this ?

A bear cub decoy?

I did some searching but cannot find a maker. I wonder if I could get a black teddy bear and use some bear urine as a set up? Again I know it sounds crazy but I do believe it may have some merit.

Also, if anyone knows of a bear cub decoy for sale please let me know. So far I believe I will have to sew one up with some black fleece at the house.

Thank you for your comments.

How about a pig/javalina decoy. Predator hunters can explain this better than me, but I think coyotes will go after a ground hog decoy even though the call was for a rabbit. I would think bears would do so as well.

Worth a shot.