Crazy Mountains Goat tag info.

Hey guys I drew a goat tag for the Crazys this year and I'm thinking about how to hunt it. Has anyone hunted this unit for goats and how difficult is it? Would this be a hunt where horses would be absolutly needed or walk in is easy? Any good outfitters I should contact? I want to hunt the middle of Sept or the latest the first week of OCT. I'm not looking for a huge goat. Any advice will be appreciated. Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That unit is full of goats.

Congrats, you are going to have a great hunt. I would focus on the late side of your hunting dates, as the goats will be haired up better.

Horses aren't necessary, but that won't be an "easy" hunt physically.

Good luck!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Can't remember if Sacajawea peak is in the Crazies, I it is go there. You don't need hoses, just one arrow and some mountain house.

Sacajawea Peak is in the Bridgers, and that is a different, much harder to draw, unit.

It will not be especially hard finding goats in the Crazies, but the terrain isn't exactly tame either.

Keep in mind this lucky SOB also has a GREAT Elk tag for Wyoming this year.. Oh yeah, and a Big Horn Sheep tag for Idaho!!!!!! MIKE YOU A LUCKY MAN!!! Best of luck on all three buddy!!!!

My plan would be to take 2 months off of work. Kill your Elk in WY, then drive to Idaho and shoot a nice Ram... Then hunt in Oct for your Billy! I have no doubt you will get it done man, best of luck again!!! You should have no issue finding a goat in the Crazy's!

OP
F
Thanks for spilling the beans Nick! I was hoping they'd feel sorry for me and try to help but now they Know I am the luckiest guy in Florida.... hahahaha. Anyway, I still can't believe I drew sheep,elk, and goat in one year when for 3 years all I could draw was a mangy mule deer tag. Thanks for the info guys, anymore? Mike

Some (read MOST) guys will go 20 years and never do what you did this year man! Take it all in, enjoy the heck out of each of the hunts, take lots of pictures and bring home the bacon! I know you will get it done and best of luck doing it Mike!

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
WOW! Congrats on your tags! That is rather ridiculous but great for you. I haven't hunted the Crazies but on Google Earth they look dang near vertical. I've got the maps for them too and was surprised to see the mountains so checkerboarded. (Been researching my elk hunting options there)

Bitterroot- Would all that checkerboarded land make it tough to find accessible goats there or will Mr. Lucky Florida still have plenty of spots to hunt?

Jon Boy

WKR
Theres plenty of National Forest access points that take you to trail heads NDHunter so not much of an issue for a goat hunt. If your elk hunting down low then yes its always an issue.

We have had good look in and around cottonwood lake area! Warning dont go late snow will and can get in the way, makes for some nasty rock walking!
I see you drew a sheep tag , so if u are in sheep shape i dont see u having any problems with this goat tag, We did a Diy it was a blast no shortage of hard work but well worth it !
If i can permission from my friend i will post some pics Cheers!!!

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Theres plenty of National Forest access points that take you to trail heads NDHunter so not much of an issue for a goat hunt. If your elk hunting down low then yes its always an issue.

Ok, I see. I guess I just thought that with all the checkerboarded stuff, there would be a fair amount of the rugged looking goat country that is basically off-limits. I have zero experience there though so I'm just taking some stabs in the dark.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There is a lot of goat country that is private (including some owned by Marlboro Cigs - go figure), but you might want to check with the Forest Service, because I think hunting/recreating is allowed by the owners on a lot of those sections. The North half of the Crazies is continuous USFS.

I have seen goats all over that range, sometimes in large herds (30-50).

Jon Boy

WKR
I agree theres definitely goat country thats private, but theres a lot more FS land that holds goats and no real reason to mess with the private. I took my first trip of the year up there on friday and saw goats half mile down the trail, still no elk though :mad: Karen Loveless is the biologist for that area and does an awesome job.

dot 1

FNG
i also drew this tag this year and have been in the area. lots and lots of goats. tuff country. i will be going as early as possible, most people who wait for hairy goats end up not being able to get in due to snow. lots of very slick rock. bow hunt em before the elk rut.

Congrats on the tag! I would also hunt early in the season (just my two cents). Most of the people that wait until the end of the season end up unsuccessful or harvesting nannys or young billys. The county is very rough. A couple of years ago a guide fell off a cliff and died on the way back to their horses after killing a great billy in September.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending waiting to the end of the season for Florida Mike, just the later side of his hunting dates (he said first week in October at the latest). Should be easy to access that time of the season, and the hair isn't long, but it isn't summer coat either.

dot 1

FNG
the guy im hunting goats with this year has been in there a couple times recently, its steep and we need some rain. lots of goats skipping around though. dont forget your fishin pole.