Creative Ideas for Crossing Rivers/Streams

M22

FNG
The flow in the shallow areas (2-4ft) could be compared to rapids, and the bottom is really rocky.

Gotcha. Well, I did this in Michigan one salmon season when my two aunts were gonna join my dad and I for a full day (they're not used to wading and would have a hard time with it). Warning - the supplies necessary for this (patio chairs, two extension ladders, paracord, climbing rope) required lots of space, so its not something you could pull off easily without being able to park the truck relatively close:

What I did was bring five pretty sturdy yard / patio chairs in the back of my truck, two big extension ladders, and a climbing rope (9.4 black diamod). I waded out and placed the middle chair first, then the other four (two on each side back toward each bank), trick is to do this in a spot where there's a tree on each side of the bank at your fording/bridge location. Then, I set the ladders across the arm rests of the chairs and lashed em on with the paracord. This part takes the longest as you're gonna have to adjust each chair a bit as you go. Then I but a big rock in the seat of each chair. I ran the climbing rope from a tree on one bank to the other, making it as tight as I could so it's a reliable safety hold. At the middle chair, the ladders (and arm rests of the chair) were actually entirely under water, but only about 8-10 inches. Didn't seem to create any problems, but it did require my aunts to cross barefoot (mud boots or xtratuffs would've worked).

Ended up working pretty well, my old aunts shimmy'd across just fine (albeit barefoot). It was a satisfying project, as well.

That being said, the place I did this had a relatively casual flow. If the water were any faster, I'd want much heavier chairs than what I had.

do people use this river for recreation or boating? Just say because when stringing something across the river remember there are usually laws about impeding travel on the river. don't create something that could cause a problem for a unknowing person in a canoe.

Laramie

WKR
Don't do the ladders- it will end poorly. Google DIY suspension foot bridge. They are not that hard to build and would be a lasting solution that would be safe for all ages.

M22

FNG
Sorry I should've specified - the stretch of the river we were fishing is not often used for boating and it was on private land (both sides). I'm not too familiar with how river ownership / public access works east of the Mississippi (maybe still a navigability determination?) but where we were, very rarely do non-invitees show up.

I'm not used to that. Out west, in 95% of the rivers where I fish the most in CO, OR, and Wyo, doing what I described above is definitely not an option.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Another proponent here for a Tyrolean traverse. Could do a single cable setup with a harness or a dual cable rig. Either way all you need would be enough cable to span 2 trees, a decent ratchet strap for each cable, some soft shackles if you want, and a moving blanket to prevent damage to the tree. You only need 4-5kN to appropriately tension the lines.

The people who wind up using these the most often usually have large packs with them, so I'd just do what they do to get those across. If you quarter it in the field, just clip your pack to the cable with a carabiner and either push it ahead of you or pull it behind you with a paracord leash. If you've got the animal whole, girth hitch a closed loop around their neck and clip that to the cable.