Creative solution for increasing numbers of nonresident applications

Rob5589

WKR
I agree it is a draw of sorts but the wasting of half of a day seems ridiculous even with the bonus of knowing immediately. Seems like Idaho could make some $$ if they charge a nominal application fee then do a draw with a quick turn around time. Would also be nice to have the option to draw with a party.
Not disagreeing with any of this, especially the party option. I think splitting up deer and elk on different days would ease the burden some.

S-3 ranch

WKR
You’re free to use that land now. The animals are held in trust by and for Idaho citizens.
Didn’t Idaho have just a 1 day draw that was filled up in +/- 8hours?
zero otc option? I am very uneducated about Idaho draw rules on resident vs none on federal land . New Mexico, co, az , Wyoming are about my comfort zone driving , and usually just prefer semi guided hunt

Last edited:
Didn’t Idaho have just a 1 day draw that was filled up in +/- 8hours?
zero otc option? I am very uneducated about Idaho draw rules on resident vs none on federal land . New Mexico, co, az , Wyoming are about my comfort zone driving , and usually just prefer semi guided hunt
No. The NR otc tags are open to purchase every year starting Dec1st. They are not a draw, but some sort of fcfs. I’m not exactly sure how the computer tallies everyone in queue. All citizens,resident or non have the same access to all federal and state land. There is no provision on designated wilderness like Wyoming has.

Super tag

WKR
Last season for the first time in 5 or 6 years we were able to hunt again where we grew up hunting, finally, the non res tags were limited, and spread out, the results were noticeable, nobody camped right in the honey hole 😂
I think we need even fewer non res hunters, less pressure. We have more than our fair share of new residents. In years past we were choked out by non res. hunters, now we have more residents, We cant handle any more pressure in Idaho. I’m afraid the whole system is going to require a big change soon.

Open up a big can O Worms and take Federal & BLM land out of state control of Idaho, IMO it’s our land , and the idiots at state level should be held accountable,
I have no problem apply for PP in states, but if it’s federal land , a resident of Idaho should not have preference, make it a even playground ;););)
The State doesn't control the land.

Last season for the first time in 5 or 6 years we were able to hunt again where we grew up hunting, finally, the non res tags were limited, and spread out, the results were noticeable, nobody camped right in the honey hole 😂
I think we need even fewer non res hunters, less pressure. We have more than our fair share of new residents. In years past we were choked out by non res. hunters, now we have more residents, We cant handle any more pressure in Idaho. I’m afraid the whole system is going to require a big change soon.
Weren't able to or did want to.?

No. The NR otc tags are open to purchase every year starting Dec1st. They are not a draw, but some sort of fcfs. I’m not exactly sure how the computer tallies everyone in queue. All citizens,resident or non have the same access to all federal and state land. There is no provision on designated wilderness like Wyoming has.
It's basically a immediate random draw.

Guys are focused on tags being the determinant to a healthy elk population. More hunters in the field regardless of success puts more stress and strain on the animals going into the winter season as much as harvesting more animals. Give it a rest, it is what it is. If hunting means that much, move to the state you want to hunt in. Otherwise, don't hang a hat on one state and one season. Be ready to adapt and overcome.

My main problem with Idaho right now is not being able to apply as a party. I would like a random draw starting dec. 1st for general tags and allow a party application. Its basically what it is now minus the group option.

My main problem with Idaho right now is not being able to apply as a party. I would like a random draw starting dec. 1st for general tags and allow a party application. Its basically what it is now minus the group option.
They need to at least make it easy to return the tag and refund all your fees if you decide not to go because you partner did not get a tag.

First, I did not read through the entire thread.
California has a few zones specifically managed for hunter opportunity. meaning these zones (a few) have so many tags allotted that they never sell out. Subsequently, the success rate is very very low. My point here is that providing more tags has a cost. Sure it provides more people opportunities, but at a cost.

I hunt one of the zones that does not sell out. I have opportunities to take legal bucks (fork on one side or better) every year. But then I've been hunting the area for over 30 years. In short, those with lots of experience in such zones have a significant advantage, those that don't are likely to savor tag soup.

S-3 ranch

WKR
this Is a funky state to figure out, “Idaho Fish and Game Director Ed Schriever said. “We heard our resident hunters, and took a careful and thoughtful approach to developing this plan to manage nonresident participation in deer and elk hunts at a finer scale.”

the state’s and Indian reserves , I usually apply in have both individual and group applied permits
meaning if I draw my partner automatically is drawn , or same with group one draws up to 3-4 guys gain access
the limited trophy drawing for mule deer is a hunter and one guests
I understand why Idaho doesn’t like none residential hunting
but animals held in trust should be open for draw to USA citizens of every state

sneaky

"DADDY"
this Is a funky state to figure out, “Idaho Fish and Game Director Ed Schriever said. “We heard our resident hunters, and took a careful and thoughtful approach to developing this plan to manage nonresident participation in deer and elk hunts at a finer scale.”

the state’s and Indian reserves , I usually apply in have both individual and group applied permits
meaning if I draw my partner automatically is drawn , or same with group one draws up to 3-4 guys gain access
the limited trophy drawing for mule deer is a hunter and one guests
I understand why Idaho doesn’t like none residential hunting
but animals held in trust should be open for draw to USA citizens of every state
They are open to any citizen of any state to hunt. What part of that do you not understand? You can get in the random que on Dec 1st, or you can apply as a party for the controlled hunts that the application period goes from May until early June. This has been decided in case law before, state or govt owns the land, animals are held in trust for that state. Same in every damn state in the west. Except Idaho isn't idiotic like Wyoming and excluding hunters from Wilderness areas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk