Creek/Stream importance

Quick question......when e scouting for mule deer......is a stream or creek bottom any more significant than any other topographic feature?

Wapiti1

WKR
Maybe. Dry unit, yes, it could matter. Wet unit, not early or mid season. Late season that gulch or canyon may be a migration corridor. So on a macro scale, it could funnel deer.

Generally, I would focus more on season, food available in that season if prior to the rut, and habitat. What level of the mountain should the deer be on during the season you are hunting is more relevant.

Jeremy

Fatcamp

WKR
I hunt a very dry area. Washes and draws are very important.

They hold water, grow better feed, and provide shade.

I truly love stillhunting out the creek bottoms during late morning into early afternoon. Even if they're dried up, the vegetation there is thicker and taller. Older smarter bucks like to call it home. This one sure did last season.
Muley 18 - Copy.jpeg

That’s a beautiful buck!
Thanks. We spotted him with just his antlers sticking up above thick, high sage and greasewood at about 600 yds. Then, we assumed he laid down because we didn't see his rack anymore. We had the wind and stalked along the creek until we closed the distance quite a bit. As we were standing on the high bank, trying to figure where he might be, he stood up at 160 yds on the other side of the creek and looked at us. All I could see was his head and neck with all that brush obscuring his body. I shot him off a pair of sticks, and saw him go straight down through my scope even as it recoiled. As we were celebrating, I looked over and in the exact same spot was an almost identical buck looking at us like the first one had been. It's a good thing we both knew I drilled the first shot. It really had me debating whether or not to shoot again, but I held off. It was a blast!

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
completely dependent on where you are hunting. northern states there is water almost everywhere versus the dryer southern states
Also add in plains verse mountains. Plains or high desert with low vegetation levels and those creeks become both contours to hide in and as noted above with a nice deer, possible thickets to hide in.

I wouldn't call it north or south. Idaho has some really dry country as does Nevada, eastern Oregon and central Washington. High desert kind of country.

Jeremy