Creepy experiences in the backcountry

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ive heard similar a few times in canyons in. Ew Mexico, places where I knew were ruins and ancient travel corridors. I always thought it was my mind playing tricks on me.

Let me say this man. I am a drummer. I’ve been drumming for over 20 years. I know what drums are supposed to sound like.

We were in a small native town called Window Rock on the Arizona/New Mexico border for a rodeo in 2015. We got there super late after driving straight through from the night rodeo in Prescott. It rained like hell and it was a total shit show.

We got to this tiny little rodeo grounds in the middle of nowhere at about 3 am. Nobody else was up and it was pouring down rain. We get the horses settled into a small pole barn with stalls and I’m filling their waters. That’s when I hear the drums.

Who the hell is drumming at 3 am outside in the rain? Curiosity got me and I followed the sounds across the entry road and over towards a dirt road with canyon walls on either side. The drums kept getting louder the further I went down the road. A huge chill overcame my whole body. One of those get the heck out of here now deals. I ran my 6’1” 210 lb ass back to the horse tailer and told my wife about it.

I figured it was just some natives drumming but it didn’t sound “normal”. Like I said it was really weird and got me curious enough to go check it out.

Weird deal for sure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Let me say this man. I am a drummer. I’ve been drumming for over 20 years. I know what drums are supposed to sound like.

We were in a small native town called Window Rock on the Arizona/New Mexico border for a rodeo in 2015. We got there super late after driving straight through from the night rodeo in Prescott. It rained like hell and it was a total shit show.

We got to this tiny little rodeo grounds in the middle of nowhere at about 3 am. Nobody else was up and it was pouring down rain. We get the horses settled into a small pole barn with stalls and I’m filling their waters. That’s when I hear the drums.

Who the hell is drumming at 3 am outside in the rain? Curiosity got me and I followed the sounds across the entry road and over towards a dirt road with canyon walls on either side. The drums kept getting louder the further I went down the road. A huge chill overcame my whole body. One of those get the heck out of here now deals. I ran my 6’1” 210 lb ass back to the horse tailer and told my wife about it.

I figured it was just some natives drumming but it didn’t sound “normal”. Like I said it was really weird and got me curious enough to go check it out.

Weird deal for sure.

Yeah, I guess Ive always chalked it up to my imagination AND I've also figured it was some old school types doing traditional native dances in ancestral places. I never worried too much about it but talking about it now is pretty creepy. I used to be pretty afraid of skinwalkers while out in ancient native areas while hunting mule deer by myself.

I’m not saying I believe in Bigfoot but.... I did have a pretty unexplainable experience in Colorado guiding where a big black object cleared a 1/2 mile wide meadow quicker than any bear standing on its hind legs ever could. Me and a fellow guide sat there looking at each other in awe!

Ive heard similar a few times in canyons in. Ew Mexico, places where I knew were ruins and ancient travel corridors. I always thought it was my mind playing tricks on me.

I don’t know what was going on, but it always seemed to be over the next ridge or draw no matter how close I got to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHSD

WKR
When I was in high school my buddy had a cabin on a lake that butted up to a Native American Reservation. On one of the corners of the lake was a Native American Sun dance Arena. Was a giant circle with "L" shaped poles going to the middle. Of course I loved to Jet Ski around that area all the time because it was fascinating to me that the Native people still did Sun dances. It was the perfect day to Jet Ski water was extremely calm. Later that night at 2 AM we were out by fire when we hear the beating of drums coming from the sun dance arena. Pretty weird to be within earshot of a sundance going on. I thought that they were outlawed from doing them, but some tribes still did them in secret in the dead of the night.

Fatcamp

WKR
I had a patient recently with 20 years of scars from Sundance. It was an impressive mark.

Dude was real casual about it.

My wife and I heard a crazy drum party while in the Colorado wilderness last summer. When I got home I started googling trying to find a public posting of a pow wow or something but never found one that lined up location and dates. I don't really think it's creepy, probably just not posted on the multiwebs or something.

KurtR

WKR
When I was in high school my buddy had a cabin on a lake that butted up to a Native American Reservation. On one of the corners of the lake was a Native American Sun dance Arena. Was a giant circle with "L" shaped poles going to the middle. Of course I loved to Jet Ski around that area all the time because it was fascinating to me that the Native people still did Sun dances. It was the perfect day to Jet Ski water was extremely calm. Later that night at 2 AM we were out by fire when we hear the beating of drums coming from the sun dance arena. Pretty weird to be within earshot of a sundance going on. I thought that they were outlawed from doing them, but some tribes still did them in secret in the dead of the night.

Every summer you can see the sundance set up on the banks of the Moreau River on CRST. In the late 90's at basketball camp in Yankton met a punch of guys who had the scars and they told us all about it.

dukkhnter

FNG
Not really backcountry but was chukar hunting with a buddy years ago in a desert canyon and could all of a sudden smell cigarettes. We stopped and looked around and down in the creek bottom were a couple grungy guys with big packs on. We just kept moving and about 3/4 mile later we came across a full weed grow site. They must have just harvested, plants were pulled. I had just bought my first house and there was tons of new garden tools and rolls of dripper and irrigation line. We loaded up all we could carry and used it for the new house. Was really worried on the way out the sheriff would be there and it would look like it was our grow while we were packing all the new equipment out!

Kindo

WKR
Again, not exactly backcountry, but this happened last spring while camping with my buddy and our 4 yo sons in SD. We pitched our wall tent next to a pond on a buddy’s large plot of land away from roads etc.

The boys go to bed and my buddy and I are about 3....or 10 Busch Lattes deep and from directly behind us over the tent came a string of about 50-60 bright lights moving at a steady speed BUT the last 3 had erratic movements back and forth that defied the laws of physics. We start texting buddies in the military and his father in law who works in missile defense and everyone thinks we’re crazy.

48 hrs later on our drive home, we finally find an article about the Space Link satellites that had been launched the night we saw the crazy lights. I swear the last few were in fact moving (or maybe my whole world was moving from our beverages? 🤔) Either way, I’m still questioning that whole scenario.

Kindo

WKR
We had issues with folks trespassing on our access road through county property, to our family land/cabin. "The Barrens" for you cheeseheads.

Whenever I'd be up there with my friends, we'd get all kitted up and patrol the property...cuz we're cool like that.

One night, my buddy and I take our ARs and his PVS-7. We're walking up the driveway, densely forested on both sides, when we approach the paved road.
About 20 yards from the edge of the ROW, we stop to smoke a cigarette and observe.
Halfway through the cig, headlights become visible down the road.
We grab concealment and watch.
Vehicle slows down, becomes visible and IDed as a white F150 with topper.
Vehicle is obscured by several large trees, then disappears.
Full on gone. Didn't stop. Didn't turn around. Didn't turn into another property.
Just gone.

From Trego area. Can confirm similar experiences off Blackburn Rd.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
When I grew up, I had hiking wanderlust like a lot of you. I would hike countless miles through forest and undeveloped land. My mom had mentioned offhand that someday I would find a body out there somewhere. Back in 1994 I was a sophomore in college and I would hike to decompress. One day in early spring I was hiking in a block of public in central Wisconsin. I was always looking for shed antlers but would check out anything that piqued my interests. I was walking along a small creek which was swelled from the runoff and it also was a trout stream. I was two miles from the closest bridge when I reached a small log jam and noticed something in the water. It was undulating in the current from under the jam and appeared to be an appendage. I couldn’t believe it! I looked away and looked again, but it was unmistakable! There were two legs undulating in the current. Not only that but I could now see what appeared to be the back of a human head wedged to the log at the head of the log jam. But wait, I asked myself why would legs be undulating in the current? So I took a deep breath, stretched my arm into the cold water and touched the head. It didn’t feel like hair... so I grabbed it, pulled on it, and what came out? You guessed it, a full size blow up doll complete with orifices.

Last edited:
Four years ago I was hunting elk with a friend and staying in a cabin on the mountain. Just a little log cabin, no power or anything like that way back up a creek drainage. We get back to the cabin after dark and cook dinner set up the bags and pads to get some sleep. I step out the front door to pee and I feel that I’m being watched, there’s no doubt in my mind. I step back in the cabin and my buddy starts talking crap about me being scared of the dark. We lock the door and call it a night. The next morning we wake up and open the door and on the front steps in the dust and dirt we swept out was two bare human footprints. They were facing the door like someone stepped up on the porch. The next morning after the hunt we came back and looked around the cabin for more tracks. On the window overlooking where we were sleeping was a palm print and what looked like a forehead and nose print on the glass looking into where we were sleeping the night before. Not sure if they were from the night before or from that morning but we got out of there. I don’t hunt that place anymore

Would you say the barefoot print was deeper than normal or larger?

Okay...this wasn't in the backcountry but way offshore and still one of those things I think about often but rarely talk about cuz I don't want people to give me "that look."

I was on the sportfishing vessel “Pacific Voyager” out of San Diego during a multi-day fishing charter making bait (catching squid) on the starboard side about mid-ship. Most of the other anglers were on the stern or on the other side of the boat. I looked towards the bow and saw a huge man slowly walking astern. He was easily over six feet tall with a buzz haircut, gray clothes and about 350-400lbs. As he got nearer to me I stepped aft a bit so he could get around me...something this big guy couldn't do otherwise. No way he could squeeze between me and the rods in the rack. He was walking towards me and I'm looking at him thinking, "I don't remember seeing this big boy on the boat" when he just disappeared. Like someone had flipped a light switch and he was gone. A cold irrational fear gripped my chest and I felt faint, almost physically sick. WTF! That was it, I was done making bait. A moment later one of the deckhands asks me if I'm okay. I told him what just happened and he pulls me into the salon to repeat the story to another crew member with emphasis on the description of the guy I saw.

"That was Randy," he told me..."…he was our cook and died recently on the boat."

"He's still here," I said. Then the conversation ended abruptly.

A year later I was talking with a guy on the Seahorse (another fishing boat out of Dana Point Harbor) and mentioned Randy and he says "Oh man...he was the cook on my trip that died and I was the last guy to see him alive. He said he was really tired and was gonna go lay down. He was wearing gray sweats! It took several guys to lift his body out of the bunkroom, he was huge. He had been taking a bunch of meds for a long time and had numerous health issues.”

Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl to this day. I have since met one other angler who claims to have seen him (well...his ghost or whatever it is) on the boat. I've been invited back on the boat several times but cannot seem to actually get back on board. The guy I saw walking towards me was as real as anything else I've ever seen. He was real enough for me to step outta his way. He was solid! He was about five feet away from me. Then he was gone while I was looking straight at him!!! And just reliving it makes my skin crawl all over again. (((((((((shudder)))))))))

hey if you gotta have your spirit stay somewhere forever sport fishing vessel ain’t a bad spot ya know.

I tell my wife all the time when I die cremate me and take a bush plane and scatter my ashes over some remote mountain range, then when the kids wana visit me they gotta damn near go through the trials of adventuring to pay respects to their dad lol.