Creepy experiences in the backcountry

jb1842

FNG
hey if you gotta have your spirit stay somewhere forever sport fishing vessel ain’t a bad spot ya know.

I tell my wife all the time when I die cremate me and take a bush plane and scatter my ashes over some remote mountain range, then when the kids wana visit me they gotta damn near go through the trials of adventuring to pay respects to their dad lol.

Gotta be careful scattering ashes from a plane. Do it wrong, and your ashes can end up all over the interior of the plane and everybody in it.

I believe I was once stalked by a bear early one morning. Was going out to sit in a stand before dark on wife's uncles property up in northern Wisconsin. Couldn't quite shake the feeling I wasn't alone. Chickened out, went back to truck, and waited for light. Walking back in, fresh pile of scat right on the trail that wasn't there when I first walked in.

I
Yeah, I guess Ive always chalked it up to my imagination AND I've also figured it was some old school types doing traditional native dances in ancestral places. I never worried too much about it but talking about it now is pretty creepy. I used to be pretty afraid of skinwalkers while out in ancient native areas while hunting mule deer by myself.

I once was on 24 hr duty with a pfc from the Navajo Reservation. Naturally throughout the night you talk about all sorts of shit especially half asleep chugging coffee. We got talking of Sasquatch and skinwalker in particular. Dude had some wild stories from the Res.

Fatcamp

WKR
GwlggwAWGRl GAGl
Hey Fatcamp, please educate me if you would. I don’t want to derail the thread, so maybe a pm if you get a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't really feel qualified to speak to it. Plenty of information online and I would hate to get something wrong when it comes to someone's else religion.

In short, it is a ceremony where the participants fast and pray for a long period of time. Some of those groups pierce the skin on the chest or backs of the participants who are tethered to a pole or post. It is a heavy thing, and as far as I know non-native individuals are not allowed to participate. This is common an my the northern plains tribes, but I really don't know how far it extends.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I

I once was on 24 hr duty with a pfc from the Navajo Reservation. Naturally throughout the night you talk about all sorts of shit especially half asleep chugging coffee. We got talking of Sasquatch and skinwalker in particular. Dude had some wild stories from the Res.

I have a skin walker story I won’t even tell here.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago I was out chasing coues in Arizona. Our campsite was a place that I've camped at for years, going back to when I was a boy scout and I'm very familiar with the area. I was out with a friend of mine and we had set up camp in an open area near an old corral and were sleeping in separate tents about 20 feet apart.

Sleeping on a camp pad has never been my favorite thing and as per the normal, I was up around 3AM working to get comfortable and fall back asleep. As I laid there, in silence, out of no where a very distinct and loud indian flute being playing no more than 10 yards from my tent.

I of course shot up and started looking through the mesh of my tent to see if I could see anything. When I couldn't make out the source with just the moonlight, I grabbed my flashlight and open the tent door to see if I could find anything that could be making that sound. It was melodic and intentional. Not the accidental sound of wind moving against anything. It only lasted about a minute and just as quick as it started. It stopped.

Searching around, I found nothing.

This part of the desert isn't crazy thick. There are places someone could hide but there was nothing but low brush between me and where the sound was coming from. It was spooky enough that I couldn't go back to bed.

When my hunting partner woke up in the morning, he asked if I had heard anything weird last night. My eyes got big and at the same time we both said, "and indian flute!".

We stayed there another few nights and didn't hear anything else but it was one of the stranger experiences I've had hunting.

ODB

WKR
GwlggwAWGRl GAGl

I don't really feel qualified to speak to it. Plenty of information online and I would hate to get something wrong when it comes to someone's else religion.

In short, it is a ceremony where the participants fast and pray for a long period of time. Some of those groups pierce the skin on the chest or backs of the participants who are tethered to a pole or post. It is a heavy thing, and as far as I know non-native individuals are not allowed to participate. This is common an my the northern plains tribes, but I really don't know how far it extends.

I believe this ceremony is shown in a movie called “A Man Called Horse.” I have no idea when I saw that movie but that scene is vivid in my memory. If I remember right, they used antlers as the “hooks” to suspend him.

I was on a 68,000 acre deer lease about 10 years ago in Southwest Texas less than a mile from the Mexican border. It was really rough country with several old abandoned ranch houses/buildings dotted across the ranch about 10-12 miles from the main house where we all slept.

I had only been on the lease for a few weeks and some of the old timers told me they’d hunt until dark and then meet at an abandoned ranch home to cook and eat dinner together. So I packed my lunch for the day and a steak and side items to cook for dinner that evening.

I rolled up on the building about an hour after dark and there were a couple of old vehicles with top racks on them parked outside. I opened the front door and it about came off the hinges. The place was damp and musty and smelled like bleach. The only light that was on was in the kitchen and it was pitch black down a long hallway. I felt a chill that something wasn’t right, but I continued down the hallway and followed the light into the kitchen.

When I walked into the kitchen, I saw out of the corner of my eye several people sitting at a table with their backs turned to me. There was fresh blood all over the floor. Granted, the old house was literally falling apart, but I thought, “did they really just field dress a deer or something in here”?

I said hello and nobody moved. As I walked around to the side of the table, and looked at their faces, a chill ran up my spine and I had the worst taste in my mouth. Turns out they were mannequins dressed in clothing and I was the only one in the house.

I don’t even remember running out, but when I made it through the front door - everyone was outside laughing like crazy. It was some type of “new guy initiation”. I was scared beyond words and pissed at the same time. I’ve never been that scared in my life and in hindsight, I should have realized that it was a joke as soon as I saw the mannequins. But stories of Santeria activities around the Mexican border that they had told me about and Cartel Mule crossings across the Ranch got the best of my imagination and I fell for it ... hook, line, and sinker.

I believe this ceremony is shown in a movie called “A Man Called Horse.” I have no idea when I saw that movie but that scene is vivid in my memory. If I remember right, they used antlers as the “hooks” to suspend him.

I remember the scene, but I recall it was talons that were used to suspend the guy. Good movie. Used to watch it all the time on TV in the 70's or 80's.

Well reading through all these stories got me thinking, I got nothin’! Not a damn thing creepy or mysterious! I did however stumble upon a nudist camp, back in the mid 70’s as a young kid growing up in California, and as erotic and exciting as it might sound, it really wasn’t. Picture a bunch of people your parents and grandparents age, walking around naked. Actually, now that I think about it, it really was quite chilling!

Well reading through all these stories got me thinking, I got nothin’! Not a damn thing creepy or mysterious! I did however stumble upon a nudist camp, back in the mid 70’s as a young kid growing up in California, and as erotic and exciting as it might sound, it really wasn’t. Picture a bunch of people your parents and grandparents age, walking around naked. Actually, now that I think about it, it really was quite chilling!

That story reminds me of ‘the rainbow people’ bunch of doctors and lawyers and such that escape reality for a summer and get torn up on shrooms and acid in forest like areas. I know because when I was in high school the ‘rainbow gathering’ decided to descend upon the Allegheny Nation Forest near my town.

Fatcamp

WKR
That story reminds me of ‘the rainbow people’ bunch of doctors and lawyers and such that escape reality for a summer and get torn up on shrooms and acid in forest like areas. I know because when I was in high school the ‘rainbow gathering’ decided to descend upon the Allegheny Nation Forest near my town.

Ha! I knew a bunch of those folks when I lived in the road as a young man. Quite the diverse group.