Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Ray

WKR
Early 1960's: Dad took members of the USAF base skeet club up to near Black Canyon City, AZ to chase quail. During lunch they sat under a tree near the edge of the pull out the car was parked at. One guy walked over the road bank to take a leak, and found some interesting bones. Asked Dad what he thought they were. Third bone scratched out of the dirt was cone shaped. Dad thought it was a human finger tip bone. Went to town and called the sheriff and lead a deputy back to the area. Turned out to be the remains of a hostage bank teller from a robbery in Phoenix several years prior.

Mid 1970's: In the ghost town of Rawhide, NV (before squatters torn down the buildings for firewood) you could hear "things" in the buildings once in a while. Once we sat at the edge of a vertical mine shaft and could hear groans coming up out of the darkness. Dad thought it was probably a coyote that fell in and was dying.

All over the NV backcountry you can encounter remnants of historical mining or ranching activities. Mostly dumps of rusty old tin cans. When chukar hunting in the Reese River area I climbed to a knob on the side of a small canyon hoping to flush some birds down to my dad. They just ran up hill further. I proceeded to head uphill after them and stepped around some brush and found a rectangle of large tin cans. About 6 feet long and three feet wide. Flat rocks were neatly placed inside the rectangle. A large pinon was growing up out of the far end of the rectangle. Like a head stone. All the tin cans were placed with the lead seal upward, making a striking visual feature. I looked around for any kind of structure such as a stacked rock line shack, or log cabin. Nothing, just this one grave in the middle of nowhere, on the only flat spot on a steep slope overlooking not much of anything.

I do a lot of hunting by myself. Have spent my whole life in the mtns so I don’t scare easy. However one day I was out hunting spring turkey in Colorado. The day before I got into some birds and thought I maybe could find them at their roost the next night. So I went in there. I Planned on sitting until dark. I had my back up to a ponderosa tree just sitting there quietly. All of the sudden I Heard the sound of a large branch get crushed right behind me. Sounded like someone swinging and braking a huge branch against a tree. Instantly I got that weird feeling where the hair on your neck stands up. Felt that something was behind me watching me. I slowly turned around. And Saw nothing. Got that feeling something was right behind me. Hair on neck standing up. My gut told me I needed to get out of there. I was strait up spooked. Not from the sound I heard but the overall feeling that I was feeling.

So I Left the area earlier than planned with day light remaining. As I hiked back to the truck I spotted some bones. I walked over to investigate and I stumbled on to a human skull with a bullet hole in the side of it.

I got out of there and called the sheriff when I got home. The following day I had to lead Colorado CBI into the area and show them the skull. They did a all day search and found almost all of the bones. It turned out to be a missing high school kid who had been missing for 9 years.

It was really weird what ever spooked me but I think it was the sprit of the boy. Otherwise had the thing not spooked me So bad I would had I stayed until dark and never found it.

Last edited:

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not in the back country per say but along the Missouri River bluffs of North Dakota where we were working the landowner told us with a straight face within five minutes of meeting him, “ if you find human bones, if they are old just move along, in they are new, probably should report it.” A few days later we say a sleeping bag and backpack about 6 feet off the edge of a bluff and convinced a guy to go back and check for a body and they was just a rock in the sleeping bag to keep it from blowing away.

Last year antelope hunting in Northern California there was a guy who parked his truck in the middle of a gravel road, gor out and sat in the road for hours... literally hours saw him there at least 8 hours after the first time we saw him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I was coming off the mountain from turkey hunting this Spring and met a single 4-wheeler with 3 adult dudes riding it. They were all riding nut to butt on the 4-wheeler seat. The driver and the back passenger had their shirts off and grinning from ear to ear. I tried not to make eye contact, but that proved to be difficult since the back passenger was cross-eyed. I'm pretty sure I heard banjo music as I passed them.

Found a human skull once. Turned out a to be a missing kid who had been missing for 9 years

The creepy part was I was hunting. Planned on sitting until dark. Heard a large branch get crushed right behind me. Sounded like someone swinging and braking a huge branch against a tree.

I turned around. Saw nothing. Got that feeling something was right behind me. Hair on neck standing up,

Left the area early and stumbled on the skull. I think it was the sprit of the boy. Otherwise had the thing not spooked me I would had I stayed until dark and never found it.

Lots of good ones in this thread; this one is my favorite.

Broomd

WKR
I was hunting the high country in 2008 and came upon a deep, timbered draw. It was twenty degrees cooler in there and almost too dark to see contrasted to the sunlit hils around it.
Anyway, the erie fun started when I saw something up the trail...man made.

I closed in on the burnt orange object and soon realized it was a deflated "Yes We Can" OBAMA balloon with string still affixed...it had floated down from liberal points unknown. 'Creep'-y sums it up..
Thinking about that flag-hating POS as our POTUS is still a horror movie rerun.....
:)
MAGA.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was hunting the high country in 2008 and came upon a deep, timbered draw. It was twenty degrees cooler in there and almost too dark to see contrasted to the sunlit hils around it.
Anyway, the erie fun started when I saw something up the trail...man made.

I closed in on the burnt orange object and soon realized it was a deflated "Yes We Can" OBAMA balloon with string still affixed...it had floated down from liberal points unknown. 'Creep'-y sums it up..
Thinking about that flag-hating POS as our POTUS is still a horror movie rerun.....
:)
MAGA.

just imagining the shot hole that balloon came from
Send chills down my spine.

these were like bright stars hovering them moving in circles trading places with each other.

we used to watch those on an almost nightly basis when I lived in Leadville back ~ 20 years ago. Things moving so fast and changing directions so quickly, no plane that I know of could do that.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
these were like bright stars hovering them moving in circles trading places with each other.

the ones I’m talking about were like stars or even the lights a plane would have at night but they would zip around, stop, shoot straight up or down, stop etc it would go on for hours.

Jauwater

WKR
the ones I’m talking about were like stars or even the lights a plane would have at night but they would zip around, stop, shoot straight up or down, stop etc it would go on for hours.
I have also seen something very similar in the sky. Looked to be as far away as the stars. Two objects, that if sitting still I'd of thought were stars. They'd cover the sky from corner to corner within seconds. Doing all sorts of, what looked like, erratic maneuvers. Almost like one was trying to out run the other.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

I was walking up a trail in Colorado in the backcountry in the dark on time with lightning crashing all around me while I was going back to camp. It was snowing and lightning at the same time. Then I looked over and there were two eyes crouched down in the bushes next to me about 20 feet away... Then they as quick as I saw them they dissapeared. I am pretty sure it was a small lion. But either way, It freaked me out because I was already on edge from the snow lightning that was occurring all around me. And of course me being me, I dont carry a pistol, so I loaded an arrow in my bow like a little bitch and kept walking down the trail in the dark...lol

I dont get scared in the woods easily, but this had me on edge. I still dont carry a pistol, I dont like the weight. I might get me a derringer one day....lol