Creepy experiences in the backcountry

My creepiest experience was imaginary. My dad's ashes are spread on a peak just south of the Valles Caldera in NM. Every time I travel back to NM I stop by and find a little piece of the shattered urn that we carried him up there in.

I had business in Santa Fe that ran long, so I got to the spot around 11 PM. You have to 4WD a couple miles in and then it's a 20 minute hike through the aspens to the peak. There was a foot of snow on the ground with a nice bright moon. I dug in the snow and found my pot shard (which is now in my computer bag) and started back down the mountain. I then got the most intense sense of being watched and all the hairs on my body stood straight up, not just on my neck, but on my arms and legs. It was an incredible feeling. Being stupid, I ran straight down the side of the peak instead of back through the aspens, waving my folding knife and shouting like a berserker. Tumbled a few times until I eventually dropped down to the road. Hiked several hundred yards up to the truck, sweating in the cold night, terrified of my own demons. A real mountain lion would have eaten me alive! 😅

Last edited:

Oregonboy

WKR
About 15 years ago I found rats hanging in trees from little nooses. Some were charred from fire, others weren’t. I almost walked into one while meandering through the woods with my high school girlfriend. Once we realized that the thick black thing was indeed a burned rat we were pretty freaked out. I looked around and counted 8-10 others a 50 foot area. My girlfriends brother hung out with some pretty rough dudes but I never took any of them for types that would do something like that. We broke up a few months later as we headed to different colleges and I’ve never been back to those woods.

That’s the creepiest thing that I’ve encountered.

Fatcamp

WKR
Walked into a trip wire set up on an old grow site. Chest high. Looked over to see whatever it was hooked to at eye level. Slooooowly backed out and went around. Found the grow site below a spring in the desert above the wire.

Smoke if you want, grow if you must, but it's a piece of garbage that sets up trip wires and leaves trash on public land for their dope habit. Would have like to put a boot in whoever's ass was responsible for that.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I came across a sweatshirt that seemed like it was a season old and had what looked like blood stains on it. It was torn up and looked like something had chewed on it. Marked the location and took the sweater to the sheriff. Never heard anything.

tdhanses

WKR
Found a deep freezer once that was buried in the middle of nowhere. Some critters had dug the dirt off the top. No roads to get it in there, lid was closed, didn’t look like it had been there too long. Did not open the lid.
Did you turn it in?

FLAK

WKR
I have also seen something very similar in the sky. Looked to be as far away as the stars. Two objects, that if sitting still I'd of thought were stars. They'd cover the sky from corner to corner within seconds. Doing all sorts of, what looked like, erratic maneuvers. Almost like one was trying to out run the other.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

I saw something very similar years ago. Walking in to a stand well before daylight in the Talladega NF in NE Alabama. Very cold, clear night/morning about 5am or so.
Had to stop to take a dump and was looking up at the stars and saw a couple "stars" that were darting all over the sky. What was amazing was their speed and they were doing right angle turns, as in 90 degrees in a millisecond. VERY FREAKY.

I was fresh in the Airforce and my self with three other guys from the dorms headed to out favorite fishing hole. On the hike back to the truck my buddy decided he needed to crap. The bear and hott wings from the night before needed to vacate sooner then later. So he stepped into the wood and did his buisness. He then yells at me to come take a look. "I founds some bones" he saids. Thinking he joking I tell him i didnt want to see his crap. My other buddy just says are they Human?? Buddy taking a dump say idk maybe... so being the hunter in the group i go take a look and sure enough shallow grave.. gray matter and magets crawling inside the skull still. Call the authorities, never figured out who it was. Still in open case in Oklahoma and thats been almost 13 years ago... so now when i tellnthat story i normally start out with. My buddy almost crapped on a dead body once..
Still kinda creepy because we used to hang out and have fires and fish less then 20 feet from this murder victim and had no idea.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Several miles in the bush Heard a bobcat screaming. Didn't know what it was at the time, but put shivers up my spine!

There is an area where I deer and turkey hunt in Cent Utah. There is an old fence line, probably from old grazing leased lands, decades prior. On the raggedy old fence gate there are a hundred stuff monkeys. I kid you not. Stuffed animals, all monkey species tied up on the fence gate. I usually obey "no trespassing signs", but I will always obey these freaky things. I turned and walked away.

rclouse79

WKR
Ten plus year ago I was hunting quail with a buddy north of Tucson. We were ten plus miles in driving down a dirt road and came across a mom and her young son walking down the side of the road with only the clothes on their back. We stopped and she told us they had been held captive by some backwoods hick that lived out in the sticks. She said she just wanted us to drive them to the paved highway. We called the cops on the way there while they were in the back of the truck. Super creepy.

Years ago I was elk hunting with my buddy in the jungle here in North Idaho. Once morning we were going after some bugles, I was coming in from the top and he from the bottom. I got into a really thick section and was taking a breather, when I heard the distinct sound of a zipper on a pack that sounded like it was right on the other side of some thicket I was in maybe 20 yds away. I called out his name and heard it again but couldn't see anything. I headed that direction and kept hearing noises but never found him or what ever was making the noise. Turns out he wasn't even close to that section of the spot we were hunting so I have no idea who made that noise.

MP.hunter

FNG

Last year in NM deer hunting, at camp 2am this woke me up and it got closer and closer, making this noise every 5 minutes or so until it stopped about 50 yards from my camp, at the time I didn’t know what it was, a witch was all that was in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk