Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Where abouts in Ohio is that? Maybe that is where the Wendigo sacrifice happens. You ever watch that documentary, Helltown USA?
Boston, in Summit County, Ohio

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Oh good lord. I just looked up wendigo and now I'm going to have nightmares from those pictures.

When I was young, I used to watch a movie at my grandparents house about a kid that went and lived with some native group in Canada and they mentioned the wendigos and referenced them as evil spirits. Putting a picture to it makes it a lot scarier!!

And after reading this thread I'm going to have a MUCH harder time sleeping under my open end tarp next time I'm out hunting solo way off in the mountains.

I've never had any kind of supernatural or ghost type experiences in my life. I've always chalked it up to not believing in such things. And now I just know it's going to happen to me for the first time the next time I'm out camping 10 miles into the mountains by myself 🤦

Yarak

WKR
You don’t have to believe for something weird to happen
I still don’t believe in ghost ghouls or boogers in the woods but even with that strange things still happened to me

Where abouts in Ohio is that? Maybe that is where the Wendigo sacrifice happens. You ever watch that documentary, Helltown USA?
Boston, in Summit County, Ohio

It’s in East-Central Ohio, but not Boston. Funny you say that though because I used to drive through Boston every day on my way to work before we moved to Idaho.

Oh good lord. I just looked up wendigo and now I'm going to have nightmares from those pictures.

When I was young, I used to watch a movie at my grandparents house about a kid that went and lived with some native group in Canada and they mentioned the wendigos and referenced them as evil spirits. Putting a picture to it makes it a lot scarier!!
Dude, out of all the weird things that supposedly live in the woods (sasquatch, dog man, aliens, etc.), a wendigo is the last thing I would want to come across based off the stories I've heard. Screw that. The crazy part is, I'd probably get excited seeing the antlers on its head and then it would stand up and be like 8' tall and a crazy creature looking thing. That documentary is definitely creepy about helltown. Im sure some of these things are not real but you definitely can't deny the history of native Americans, Egyptians, Mayans, etc all drawing stuff about supernatural beings. I mean their is rockets and spacemen drawn in pyramids and the Azteks worshipped them as gods supposedly. Natives have talked about Wendigos and Sasquatch for a very long time. The truth is out there.... lol

Moserkr

WKR
I hunt alone a lot, and have seen/heard some weird stuff, but nothing that ever really creeped me out.

Humboldt, CA. Came across a man made clear cut in the forest 200 yards long and 50 yards wide after passing numerous “private property” signs on National Forest land... On the right in the opening were 3 big lifted trucks, huge outfitter tents, and a 30’x30’ square stack of empty soil bags piled over 10’ high. In the middle of the opening was a no trespassing sign, and having seen enough, we left quickly.

Ive found a survival lean to near a boy scout camp, seen hikers go to the bathroom while glassing, been trailed by mountain lions, had a bear stand up in a willow patch 20’ away and we had a 30 second stare down - i won that one. Even had a bush growl at me. But...

Worst thing that ever happened to me though, started out as the most peaceful night ever. If you think you hate CA, take it from someone who grew up here and sadly still lives here - I hate it way more than you.

I was just getting into my hammock on the opening day of archery season, 2013, my first in CA after moving back here from MT. I sure do miss MT. Im 4 miles deep, its 65* at 9pm that night, and the sky is clear, stars are bright. Im just about to fall asleep when I hear it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM....
Techno music coming from far, far away. I was miles from the nearest road and the “music” was so loud, my chest vibrated. It was a constant beat that did not stop or slow down. It took all of me not to pack my shit up, and follow the music to what would have been a massacre had I found them. It lasted from 9pm-6am in what was still my worst night on the mountain, and ive slept in the rain soaking wet around a campfire just surviving the night. I got out of my hammock and as i made a little noise, 50 yards away a black bear huffed at me. No clue he was there since I couldnt hear anything over the horrible sounds all night. Ill take the wendigo, land whale, spooky ghosts, and most other shit over that night in the insane asylum.

J Batt

WKR
Dang, some of your stories I'll need to forget.
Mine isn't too bad, but last season I was on a solo hunt about 8 miles from the truck. I shot a buck at 30yards with my "Long-range Precision Rifle" at last light. He rolled down to the bottom of a small drainage. Oops let me backtrack, I had to shoot him twice because I don't practice 30 yard scoped rifle shots, but apparently they're more difficult and require more skill than a 300y shot.
Anyhow as I came to grips with the situation I started quartering him up. It was now dark and I was battling the carcass and the choked vegetation at the bottom of this drainage. I was getting impatient and did something dumb by cutting towards my hand... And wouldn't you know I cut myself to the bone on my palm, narrowly missing some big viens on my wrist! So now I'm pissed and about to leave the meat where it lays. But after bandaging myself, I calm down and continue my chores.
Now I'm bent over with my head down as I'm trying to pull off another rear quarter, and I hear something running through the grass right up to my side!!! It happened so fast that I barely had time to let out a yell before it could have kissed me. I only saw a flash of fur and vegetation moving as I stood up. It ran back uphill. My adrenaline was pumping for sure. I then watched it come back around into sight about 20y uphill from me. In my headlamp I could see the eyes of a predator and it looked like a big cat. Thinking it was a cougar I hollered at it and picked up my rifle. It actually came closer to about 10y from the carcass and I finally glimpsed it had no tail. Then I hollered a couple more times and it slunk away.
I felt a little more at ease knowing it was a bobcat, figuring he was downwind of the kill and maybe he didn't realize I was there, till I stood and yelled?... It was a pretty large bobcat which is why I had initially thought cougar. After that he didn't come back but it made me a bit jittery every time I had to bend into a "submissive" position to finish processing the deer.
Once safely back at my truck I again felt like "King of the Mountain".

I have also heard a number of local backcountry cartel activity stories. Not my personally stories, but those ones freak me out waaay more than a jealous bobcat.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I hunt alone a lot, and have seen/heard some weird stuff, but nothing that ever really creeped me out.

Humboldt, CA. Came across a man made clear cut in the forest 200 yards long and 50 yards wide after passing numerous “private property” signs on National Forest land... On the right in the opening were 3 big lifted trucks, huge outfitter tents, and a 30’x30’ square stack of empty soil bags piled over 10’ high. In the middle of the opening was a no trespassing sign, and having seen enough, we left quickly.

Ive found a survival lean to near a boy scout camp, seen hikers go to the bathroom while glassing, been trailed by mountain lions, had a bear stand up in a willow patch 20’ away and we had a 30 second stare down - i won that one. Even had a bush growl at me. But...

Worst thing that ever happened to me though, started out as the most peaceful night ever. If you think you hate CA, take it from someone who grew up here and sadly still lives here - I hate it way more than you.

I was just getting into my hammock on the opening day of archery season, 2013, my first in CA after moving back here from MT. I sure do miss MT. Im 4 miles deep, its 65* at 9pm that night, and the sky is clear, stars are bright. Im just about to fall asleep when I hear it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM....
Techno music coming from far, far away. I was miles from the nearest road and the “music” was so loud, my chest vibrated. It was a constant beat that did not stop or slow down. It took all of me not to pack my shit up, and follow the music to what would have been a massacre had I found them. It lasted from 9pm-6am in what was still my worst night on the mountain, and ive slept in the rain soaking wet around a campfire just surviving the night. I got out of my hammock and as i made a little noise, 50 yards away a black bear huffed at me. No clue he was there since I couldnt hear anything over the horrible sounds all night. Ill take the wendigo, land whale, spooky ghosts, and most other shit over that night in the insane asylum.
I know even around here in Bozeman, people go up and have raves in the mountains. I think they get kind of big.

Voyageur

WKR
I've been following this thread for months and enjoying what others have shared.
I've got two experiences worth sharing. I'll start with the less dramatic of the two.
Seven years ago 4 of us were on a July backpacking trip in the Wind River Wilderness Area. It was day three of our week long trip and we were stopped to rest at midday before pushing on over the divide and finding a suitable spot to stop for the night.
Our resting spot was on the shore of a small lake right around 10000' in elevation. It was nearing timberline...in the zone where the only trees were low growing bushes. The shore of the lake was mostly rock shelves right at the waterline and relatively level. After we shed our packs and got the dogs out of theirs we stretched out in the sun and just relaxed.
While we were laying there there was a tremendous splash about 30 yards down the shore from us. The kind of splash that would come from a HUGE rock/boulder being hurled into the water. At the concussion we bolted up and turned around to see what had caused the ruckus. We could see by the disturbance on the surface of the lake where the rock (or something) had entered the water 50' or so from the shore. As I said, the lake shore was level. There were no cliffs of any sort the rock could have fallen from. The only trees were low growing bushes. As we sat there and regained our composure we quietly discussed what might be responsible for the commotion. Our theories ranged from Bigfoot to meteors, and everything in between.
To this day we still discuss what happened there and I will occasionally pull up the picture I took of the lake shore just to remind myself how weird and unexplainable it was.
Like I said, not overly dramatic, but totally weird.

In the fall of 1994 some high school buddies and I were driving around on some backroads of Standing Stone State Forest in Tennessee. It had been raining hard and was now sprinkling, and we went down this dead end gravel road that is a few miles from closest house. This road climbs up to the top of a hill, as we got closer there was a glow we could see, when we crested the top were the circle turn around was there was a campfire going. Setting back from the campfire was a guy in a black trench coat, all black clothes, big black flat brimmed cowboy type hat. (No tent, camping gear, etc.) He had a black dog with him, and never let us see his face. We had no choice but to circle the campfire to get out of there. As we did he stood up and again never let us see his face. To this day when I am in that area I still get that creepy feeling in my gut. My buddies still believe it was the grim reaper.

I used to live in the park. Sounds like some of the stuff you’d see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you live on the allons, hilham, celina, or Baptist ridge side of the park.

As a kid I lived just before baptist ridge off the highway. Little road in the right that circled the east side of the park. We used to ride our bikes to hilham and Claude fixed every flat we had, telling us to pay attention and do it ourselves next time lol. In my 20s I lived just south of the ranger house, past the fire tower. There used to be an old church there. Someone build a hotel there and later it became apartments.

peterk123

WKR
Just stumbled onto this thread. I definitely need to read through all the pages. So I have one for you.

Muzzleloader season, December in Massachusetts. I am done at this point with climbing trees waiting for a deer. It is ground hunting time. I'm in the woods nice and early. It is pitch dark. I'm all alone. Get to my spot and sit on the ground to wait for daylight. Then it starts.

Horrible screeching noise. Like out of a horror film. It is far away, for now. Every few seconds it goes off. And it is hauling ass. And it is coming toward me. I'm like, "Well, whatever it is it has the advantage because I cannot see crap". Keeps coming, closer and closer. Horrible screech. I'm screwed. It obviously knows where I am because it is hauling ass right to me. Good way to die. Doing what I love. Then it is past me. Still screeching out of control. Going further and further away. Thank god.

Later in the day I go home and do some research on what could make such a god awful sound. I have never ever heard it before. I bet some of you already guessed it. It was a freakin' fox. I guess it is the sound they make when they are trying to locate their mate :)

def90

WKR
I've been following this thread for months and enjoying what others have shared.
I've got two experiences worth sharing. I'll start with the less dramatic of the two.
Seven years ago 4 of us were on a July backpacking trip in the Wind River Wilderness Area. It was day three of our week long trip and we were stopped to rest at midday before pushing on over the divide and finding a suitable spot to stop for the night.
Our resting spot was on the shore of a small lake right around 10000' in elevation. It was nearing timberline...in the zone where the only trees were low growing bushes. The shore of the lake was mostly rock shelves right at the waterline and relatively level. After we shed our packs and got the dogs out of theirs we stretched out in the sun and just relaxed.
While we were laying there there was a tremendous splash about 30 yards down the shore from us. The kind of splash that would come from a HUGE rock/boulder being hurled into the water. At the concussion we bolted up and turned around to see what had caused the ruckus. We could see by the disturbance on the surface of the lake where the rock (or something) had entered the water 50' or so from the shore. As I said, the lake shore was level. There were no cliffs of any sort the rock could have fallen from. The only trees were low growing bushes. As we sat there and regained our composure we quietly discussed what might be responsible for the commotion. Our theories ranged from Bigfoot to meteors, and everything in between.
To this day we still discuss what happened there and I will occasionally pull up the picture I took of the lake shore just to remind myself how weird and unexplainable it was.
Like I said, not overly dramatic, but totally weird.

I do float trips on the Colorado between Fruit and Westwater all the time in the summer and came to a point where I would just lay my sleeping bag out on top of a tarp on the beach at the edge of the water. Sleeping next to the water and hearing the current/rapids is soothing. One night I kept hearing the largest splashes I had ever heard and was wondering of rocks were falling off the cliff sides in to the river or what. Anyway my imagination got the best of me and I slept like shit all night being woken up ever 20 minutes or so by another huge splash. The next morning I was talking about it with the other people on the trip and everyone else was also wondering what the hell was going on all night.

Anyway, we pack up and put in and start floating down the river and almost instantly hear the same splash and this time I see it.. It was a beaver. Couldn't believe how big and loud of a splash those things make with their tails and also that they are active all night long. The splash was comparable to tossing a 12 inch round boulder off the end of a dock.

Carr5vols

WKR
As a kid I lived just before baptist ridge off the highway. Little road in the right that circled the east side of the park. We used to ride our bikes to hilham and Claude fixed every flat we had, telling us to pay attention and do it ourselves next time lol. In my 20s I lived just south of the ranger house, past the fire tower. There used to be an old church there. Someone build a hotel there and later it became apartments.

I am LA class of 95. Know the area good you are talking about.

I am LA class of 95. Know the area good you are talking about.

I graduated in 04 from LA. I know of a few Carr’s. One I think became a cop, may still be, may not, and a lady who is a rn, np, I think married a carr. I’m sure you know all the stories of the park, old union. When I lived in this apartments it was common to feels watched, window was randomly pecked, my daughters toys would light up and play music for no reason lol. I never seen it, but they said you could here people walk in the yard and look and there was nothing there. They’ve heard people walk the halls upstairs. Fairly certain it’s just north of the Concorde cemetery before you go around a right turn. The ranger house is just past the curve