Creepy experiences in the backcountry

When i was younger i worked as a cowboy in Oklahoma and a few western states. One time i was looking for a few stray cattle on some Indian land that the ranch owner had leased for grazing. I rode up a canyon and noticed that my horse was starting to get antsy. I was riding a bombproof cow horse and i had never seen her act this way. She got more and more nervous as we went up the canyon. I started seeing animal bones that were placed in the fork of several trees. I couldn't hear the normal bird/insect noises and saw a few bones hanging from tree limbs. That was enough for me, i could barely control my horse and the second i turned her, she flat out ran out of that canyon like a banshee was on her tail. I told the foreman the next day about that and he asked what canyon it was. After i told him he looked at me and said that an Indian burial ground can be a strange place for a white man. I had no idea there was an old burial ground farther up that canyon but stayed clear of it for the rest of the time i was working on that outfit. I have got the feeling a few times in the backcountry that i was being watched but could never put my finger on it. But nothing like that time on Indian land when even my horse's behavior completely changed.

Wild stuff man.

Mt Al

WKR
About 25 years ago four of us are hunting a friend's place, a few scattered half sections with short drives between. We finished hunting one part of the ranch and head over to a draw that we'd never hunted before, pretty small area. We were told to park at the top, walk it down and if we get something the rancher will come with a four wheeler. If we don't get something, we agreed on a place to meet next to a creek at the bottom, easy to see from where we were, and we'd walk back up together. We park at the top, everybody points where they're going. Off we go. A few minutes later I got the worst creepy feeling, never had it before. I was looking down into the trees where I was supposed to go, not a dark place at all. Middle of the day, sunny, mixed pine and cottonwood, very normal. The creeps kept getting worse and I knew I wasn't going any further, I'd walk back to the truck and wave to my partners when they got to the bottom - easy to see - and I new I'd get a rashion of crap for being scared. I started heading back up and what do I see? The other three coming back up too! We all got together, shuffling our feet and wondering why we all made the same choice - and every one of us had the same feeling at the same time, a few hundred yards apart from each other. None of us had ever had that feeling before. We felt fine at the top, glassed a bit, laughed that we wouldn't be shooting anything even if we saw something. Head back to the ranch house, tell my friend what happened and took a verbal lashing/joking, did we need any "men" to hunt with us, his mom could join us if we were frightened, maybe his young nephew could hold our hands. He called the next day and told me a grizzly had been seen very near where we were going to hunt, not common grizzly area at all especially back then, but in the "range" where they live. Who knows?

Never had that feeling before or since.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
b2ba8b97400dc92dfc9e6ee7b6d06c15.jpg

I keep meaning to bring a wrench and investigate this barrel. It’s in a spot that no barrel should be. Serious elevation gain, no motorized access due to the steepness to get there. Plus it’s partially buried...

Watch the Eduardo Garcia story. He went to investigate a dead black bear that was fallen on a barrel like that. Ended up being a 2400V junction box and he was electrocuted. Nearly died, but managed to hike out with massive injuries. I'd leave it alone!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watch the Eduardo Garcia story. He went to investigate a dead black bear that was fallen on a barrel like that. Ended up being a 2400V junction box and he was electrocuted. Nearly died, but managed to hike out with massive injuries. I'd leave it alone!

If there’s power where this barrel is buried that would be more shocking than the electrocution itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
About 25 years ago four of us are hunting a friend's place, a few scattered half sections with short drives between. We finished hunting one part of the ranch and head over to a draw that we'd never hunted before, pretty small area. We were told to park at the top, walk it down and if we get something the rancher will come with a four wheeler. If we don't get something, we agreed on a place to meet next to a creek at the bottom, easy to see from where we were, and we'd walk back up together. We park at the top, everybody points where they're going. Off we go. A few minutes later I got the worst creepy feeling, never had it before. I was looking down into the trees where I was supposed to go, not a dark place at all. Middle of the day, sunny, mixed pine and cottonwood, very normal. The creeps kept getting worse and I knew I wasn't going any further, I'd walk back to the truck and wave to my partners when they got to the bottom - easy to see - and I new I'd get a rashion of crap for being scared. I started heading back up and what do I see? The other three coming back up too! We all got together, shuffling our feet and wondering why we all made the same choice - and every one of us had the same feeling at the same time, a few hundred yards apart from each other. None of us had ever had that feeling before. We felt fine at the top, glassed a bit, laughed that we wouldn't be shooting anything even if we saw something. Head back to the ranch house, tell my friend what happened and took a verbal lashing/joking, did we need any "men" to hunt with us, his mom could join us if we were frightened, maybe his young nephew could hold our hands. He called the next day and told me a grizzly had been seen very near where we were going to hunt, not common grizzly area at all especially back then, but in the "range" where they live. Who knows?

Never had that feeling before or since.

Crazy, your story just reminded me of a similar experience.

My friend and I drove to Oregon to surf a storm swell. 7 hours driving and we were pretty amped to get in the water. The waves looked awesome, sun was starting to come out. Perfect. We both jumped in the water to paddle out and were quickly separated by the beach break. I'd see him occasionally several hundred feet away, both of us safely working through the breaking waves.

Then a sense of dread came over me. It was full body, my muscles, my bones, everything was on high alert. I was totally sh!t scared for absolutely no reason. I turned the board around and caught the first wave in. Fully expecting to be harrassed by my buddy for not being able to handle the storm waves. Only, he was also coming out of the water for no reason. We were about 300' apart, as we walked to meet each other a 1/2 eaten seal washed up on the beach. It was still bleeding and you could see muscles still twitching. A great white shark had just split this seal in half in one bite. And it was hunting in between my buddy and I.

I still get the shivers thinking about that feeling of dread and fear. I'd always tried to listen to my intuition before that trip. But I try to be even more mindful of it, since then.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Four years ago I was hunting elk with a friend and staying in a cabin on the mountain. Just a little log cabin, no power or anything like that way back up a creek drainage. We get back to the cabin after dark and cook dinner set up the bags and pads to get some sleep. I step out the front door to pee and I feel that I’m being watched, there’s no doubt in my mind. I step back in the cabin and my buddy starts talking crap about me being scared of the dark. We lock the door and call it a night. The next morning we wake up and open the door and on the front steps in the dust and dirt we swept out was two bare human footprints. They were facing the door like someone stepped up on the porch. The next morning after the hunt we came back and looked around the cabin for more tracks. On the window overlooking where we were sleeping was a palm print and what looked like a forehead and nose print on the glass looking into where we were sleeping the night before. Not sure if they were from the night before or from that morning but we got out of there. I don’t hunt that place anymore

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Four years ago I was hunting elk with a friend and staying in a cabin on the mountain. Just a little log cabin, no power or anything like that way back up a creek drainage. We get back to the cabin after dark and cook dinner set up the bags and pads to get some sleep. I step out the front door to pee and I feel that I’m being watched, there’s no doubt in my mind. I step back in the cabin and my buddy starts talking crap about me being scared of the dark. We lock the door and call it a night. The next morning we wake up and open the door and on the front steps in the dust and dirt we swept out was two bare human footprints. They were facing the door like someone stepped up on the porch. The next morning after the hunt we came back and looked around the cabin for more tracks. On the window overlooking where we were sleeping was a palm print and what looked like a forehead and nose print on the glass looking into where we were sleeping the night before. Not sure if they were from the night before or from that morning but we got out of there. I don’t hunt that place anymore
Same thing happened at my house one time after cooking. Bear came up to two different windows to peer in and left dusty tracks on the windows and side of the house. Bear tracks look a lot like a (bear foot )human track.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
One of my most trusted friends and role models worked at FCI Mckean off Lewis Run. He’s extremely no nonsense type of dude, he has seen a lion twice here in Warren County. Once in Grunderville area and once near Bear Lake area right before you hit Erie county line along the New York Border. He also told me another interesting lion story about this part of the state if your interested.

I live in Youngsville, small world.

come on man, let’s hear them
So, co-workers and I are going on a long hike through the Huachucas, starting in Carr Canyon, up to Carr Peak, across the ridge, top out on Miller Peak and then drop down to Coronado Pass and finish at the Border Plinths. That's a long way. We get up Carr Canyon no problem, hit the peak and then start making our way for Miller Peak. The ridge that runs between Carr and Miller has a nice aspen grove and box spring in it. At some point in the distant past, a prospector (there are a ton of old hand hewn shafts in the AZ mountains) had dragged a cast iron bathtub up there to collect water from the spring. We planned to grab lunch at "bathtub" spring and then head out for Miller Peak.

Now we are probably at 8-9k in elevation, in a Wilderness area and the only way in is to hike up from the trail heads at 4-5k. We get to the bathtub and we find two goth kids, in street clothes and shoes, splitting a subway footlong. They have nothing with them, not even a small backpack or water bottle. We tried to make some conversation with Wednesday and Pugsley Addams, but they weren't too talkative.

Another time we were in the Huachucas and came across some "backpackers" coming from the south. Those boys had some very full and very squared off packs. We just pulled off to the side, didn't make eye contact, exchanged a polite "good morning / buenas dias" and we all just let each other go on their way.

I was quail hunting in the Whetstones and was heading around the back of a hill when I spotted a Border Patrol truck. I didn't see anyone in the driver seat, which is kind of unusual because those guys usually have the attitude of death before dismount. I walk over and can hear the engine idling, but I'm still not seeing anyone sitting in the seat. I get up and look in the window and the agent has the seat reclined all the way back, is completely racked out and using a copy of "Jugs" to shield his face from the sun.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Not in the wilderness, but a hunting camp.

about 6 years ago I bought a house in Arkansas for a duck hunting camp, it came from an estate after the previous owner passed away. The house needed work, pulling carpet, paint, etc. At the time, I only had one kid, my son, he was probably 1 1/2 or so, not talking yet. My wife, my son, and my jack russell drive out there to do some work before duck season. My wife and I are pulling carpet in the living room and my son is in the bedroom in a pack and play asleep. This is the same room the previous owner used as the master. All of the sudden, my son starts screaming bloody murder, we run in to see what's going on and he's staring at the corner of the room and won't calm down. We finally get him calm in the living room, when all of the sudden my jack russell is in the same room barking his head off and growling, staring directly at that corner of the room. There is nothing there, not even furniture. My wife is freaking out, I'm putting on a strong front but I'm a little unnerved too. I tell her everything is fine, we sleep in the other room, and that's that.

Flash forward to duck season. I use the other bedroom (not because of 'ghosts' but due to layout of the room), and the other room where the incident occurred is the bunk room with 2 bunk beds for friends that come to hunt with me. One night, we're sitting on the porch around the fire hanging out, and my long time friend, out of the blue, says, "I got a weird feeling in that room last night, like someone was watching me from the corner". I had never told him the story of my dog and kid, my wife had not told him ... made the hairs on my neck stand up.

Flash forward again to January 2018, I'm on the way to the house and I have two friends there. I'm 20 minutes away after driving 10 hours and I get a call. The house is engulfed in flames. My buddies (sleeping in that same room) woke up without reason to the house on fire. The insurance company and power company do independent investigations and deem it was due to faulty wiring by the previous owner (I purchased from their estate).

I came across a sweatshirt that seemed like it was a season old and had what looked like blood stains on it. It was torn up and looked like something had chewed on it. Marked the location and took the sweater to the sheriff. Never heard anything.

yeah I left my sweatshirt on the side of the mountain to mark my shot. Came back the next year and it was pretty holy

My buddy and I are 8 miles from the Mexican border at dark thirty with our bows and FoxPro FX5 electronic caller…a little outing of predator hunting in the Cleveland Nat’l Forest in eastern San Diego County. It’s a hilly area with lots of chaparral, perfect for close and personal coyote action with a bow. We sneak in 40 minutes before grey light, place the caller 25 yards out and settle in awaiting the first rosy fingers of dawn to pierce the morning sky. Other than a few birds, there is nothing moving.

Wearing 3D camo and tucked into the scrub brush...

salad suit reduced.jpg

...we are seated for about 8 minutes or so when I hear movement directly behind me. At first I freeze, unsure what is approaching. Then I nock an arrow and remove my knife from its sheath…not sure exactly what to expect. The sound of heavy weight moving thru the chaparral is unnerving…whatever is coming up behind me is big.

I lock eyes with my buddy, they are wide open in fear and now I am filled with dread. When you see sheer terror on your hunting buddy’s face, you know you’re in deep sh*t.

The sound is moving laterally behind, not more than 15-20 feet. My mind is racing. I’m thinking about jumping up so if it’s a mt. lion I am not such a small target but realize if it was a something like that, my pal would already be up on his feet and you don’t hear lions coming in. He’s not moving. I follow his lead. He can see what it is, I cannot…not until the sound turns again and move past me at 20 yards. At first all I saw was the gun, an AK47 slung over the shoulder of the dirtiest man I have ever seen. Then I saw his buddy, equally filthy and toting the same firearm. In tow were 34 others, all Latino, most likely Mexican. We sit perfectly still and watch as a total of 36 aliens pass by without a word. The “train” was completely male and no backpacks, which I thought was strange. Not at all like the videos you often see posted online with a mixed bag of men and women of all ages moving past a surveillance camera hidden along the trail.

[video=youtube;KD-OPWEmHp8]

It isn’t until they had passed a quarter mile away that my buddy and I broke silence. He calls the Border Patrol and gives em the GPS numbers, head count and weapons description. We beat it outta there ASAP.

Later my buddy is told we were extremely lucky. Just ahead of the group that passed us was another of equal size carrying backpacks of dope. The second group was the relief column. We had slid in right between the two. When we retrieved the game caller, there were shoe prints 5 feet away from it.

Now we never hunt that area with sticks and strings…I carry an R25 semi-auto in .308 w/ ten rd magazines. There’s an armed invasion taking place on the border and people who do not live near the southern border cannot imagine just how real the threat is. I didn’t fully appreciate it until this encounter. Though this all happened years ago…I can see it like it was yesterday. The most dangerous animal in the field has only two legs.

Last edited:

hammerguy

FNG
My buddy and I are 8 miles from the Mexican border at dark thirty with our bows and FoxPro FX5 electronic caller…a little outing of predator hunting in the Cleveland Nat’l Forest in eastern San Diego County. It’s a hilly area with lots of chaparral, perfect for close and personal coyote action with a bow. We sneak in 40 minutes before grey light, place the caller 25 yards out and settle in awaiting the first rosy fingers of dawn to pierce the morning sky. Other than a few birds, there is nothing moving.

Wearing 3D camo and tucked into the scrub brush, we are seated for about 8 minutes or so when I hear movement directly behind me. At first I freeze, unsure what is approaching. Then I nock an arrow and remove my knife from its sheath…not sure exactly what to expect. The sound of heavy weight moving thru the chaparral is unnerving…whatever is coming up behind me is big.

I lock eyes with my buddy, they are wide open in fear and now I am filled with dread. When you see sheer terror on your hunting buddy’s face, you know you’re in deep sh*t.

The sound is moving laterally behind, not more than 15-20 feet. My mind is racing. I’m thinking about jumping up so if it’s a mt. lion I am not such a small target but realize if it was a something like that, my pal would already be up on his feet and you don’t hear lions coming in. He’s not moving. I follow his lead. He can see what it is, I cannot…not until the sound turns again and move past me at 20 yards. At first all I saw was the gun, an AK47 slung over the shoulder of the dirtiest man I have ever seen. Then I saw his buddy, equally filthy and toting the same firearm. In tow were 34 others, all Latino, most likely Mexican. We sit perfectly still and watch as a total of 36 aliens pass by without a word. The “train” was completely male and no backpacks, which I thought was strange. Not at all like the videos you often see posted online with a mixed bag of men and women of all ages moving past a surveillance camera hidden along the trail.

[video=youtube;KD-OPWEmHp8]

It isn’t until they had passed a quarter mile away that my buddy and I broke silence. He calls the Border Patrol and gives em the GPS numbers, head count and weapons description. We beat it outta there ASAP.

Later my buddy is told we were extremely lucky. Just ahead of the group that passed us was another of equal size carrying backpacks of dope. The second group was the relief column. We had slid in right between the two. When we retrieved the game caller, there were shoe prints 5 feet away from it.

Now we never hunt that area with sticks and strings…I carry an R25 semi-auto in .308 w/ ten rd magazines. There’s an armed invasion taking place on the border and people who do not live near the southern border cannot imagine just how real the threat is. I didn’t fully appreciate it until this encounter. Though this all happened years ago…I can see it like it was yesterday. The most dangerous animal in the field has only two legs.

I was waiting for you to chime in. Scary as hell, I bet, but great story.

I frequently hunt quail near the border and have felt like I was being watched a few times. One time a guy in all black trailed me for some time. Another time I nearly tripped over an Agent who was laying under a bush glassing.

This year I had the pleasure of hunting with a guy from the BP. He could obviously tell I felt uneasy and it wasn't from the burrito lunch.
"We're being watched. It's ok right now, but let's be on the road before sunset."

He got no arguement.