Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Crusader

WKR
This isn't all that creepy, but more like weird and certainly, unexplainable, at least to me. Kinda follows Brancher's post above about a light.

This was just last week Wednesday during deer season at my farm in NE Missouri. It was around 5:30am, it was a super clear, cloudless sky with virtually no moon, just tons of stars. We had just pulled into a pasture area off an unlit gravel road a quarter mile or so from the ground blind we were going to hunt out of. We were at the back of my SUV with the hatchback closed, no lights on, and we were gathering our gear getting ready to start walking. All of a sudden there was this instant, gigantic flash of light right on us and around us, maybe literally only a fraction of a second in duration. It wasn't lightning, wasn't on the horizon or anything, just right ON us. As if an enormous camera flash was triggered on us. I'm not sure I've ever seen a light as bright and as quickly on and off as that was. We both looked at each other and said what the heck was that? Neither of us had or has any idea what that was. But I'm glad my buddy was there as a witness because I don't think anyone would believe it if I told them about it.

Any thoughts on what that could have been?

This isn't all that creepy, but more like weird and certainly, unexplainable, at least to me. Kinda follows Brancher's post above about a light.

This was just last week Wednesday during deer season at my farm in NE Missouri. It was around 5:30am, it was a super clear, cloudless sky with virtually no moon, just tons of stars. We had just pulled into a pasture area off an unlit gravel road a quarter mile or so from the ground blind we were going to hunt out of. We were at the back of my SUV with the hatchback closed, no lights on, and we were gathering our gear getting ready to start walking. All of a sudden there was this instant, gigantic flash of light right on us and around us, maybe literally only a fraction of a second in duration. It wasn't lightning, wasn't on the horizon or anything, just right ON us. As if an enormous camera flash was triggered on us. I'm not sure I've ever seen a light as bright and as quickly on and off as that was. We both looked at each other and said what the heck was that? Neither of us had or has any idea what that was. But I'm glad my buddy was there as a witness because I don't think anyone would believe it if I told them about it.

I'm willing to bet that it was a meteor, had something similar happen to me and one of my buddies, we were lit up like by a spotlight. Insane bright blue light, we looked up just fast enough to see it burn up right over us.

MeatBuck

WKR
I hunt alone a lot, and have seen/heard some weird stuff, but nothing that ever really creeped me out.

Humboldt, CA. Came across a man made clear cut in the forest 200 yards long and 50 yards wide after passing numerous “private property” signs on National Forest land... On the right in the opening were 3 big lifted trucks, huge outfitter tents, and a 30’x30’ square stack of empty soil bags piled over 10’ high. In the middle of the opening was a no trespassing sign, and having seen enough, we left quickly.

Ive found a survival lean to near a boy scout camp, seen hikers go to the bathroom while glassing, been trailed by mountain lions, had a bear stand up in a willow patch 20’ away and we had a 30 second stare down - i won that one. Even had a bush growl at me. But...

Worst thing that ever happened to me though, started out as the most peaceful night ever. If you think you hate CA, take it from someone who grew up here and sadly still lives here - I hate it way more than you.

I was just getting into my hammock on the opening day of archery season, 2013, my first in CA after moving back here from MT. I sure do miss MT. Im 4 miles deep, its 65* at 9pm that night, and the sky is clear, stars are bright. Im just about to fall asleep when I hear it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM....
Techno music coming from far, far away. I was miles from the nearest road and the “music” was so loud, my chest vibrated. It was a constant beat that did not stop or slow down. It took all of me not to pack my shit up, and follow the music to what would have been a massacre had I found them. It lasted from 9pm-6am in what was still my worst night on the mountain, and ive slept in the rain soaking wet around a campfire just surviving the night. I got out of my hammock and as i made a little noise, 50 yards away a black bear huffed at me. No clue he was there since I couldnt hear anything over the horrible sounds all night. Ill take the wendigo, land whale, spooky ghosts, and most other shit over that night in the insane asylum.
There’s some weird stuff going on out there. This video says from 7 yrs ago. Probably something similar to what you heard.

CJohnson

WKR

Idk but I had the exact same thing happen to me in the flooded timber in Arkansas duck hunting. The light was so bright I could see the individual hairs on my buddies dog from 10-15’ away. No noise or anything. We were getting ready to throw out decoys and get set up. Initially we thought it was some kind of trail cam, but we looked all over the place after daylight and never saw one. I agree that it wasn’t super creepy at the time, just bizarre. It was like someone switched the lights on for a second, found what they were looking for, and switched them off.

I had an upsetting experience while in the woods some years ago. My main squeeze and I were out for a nature walk. We were exploring birds and insects enjoying ourselves. I'd brought a nice little picnic with some celebratory beverages for the occasion. Sorry if it sounds corny but this lil lady was really special; she was hot-to-trot and was stacked, a little thick but that's how I roll. I had the whole spread out and buttered the biscuits. She was exercising, busting out some squats in the cucumber patch and I was fixing to really storm the pink castle with a friendly weapon when we starting hearing a very strange sound from the forest. Some sort of whooping, squawking. I thought for a minute a sasquatch might have been casting an envious eye on my conquest, you know, with designs on becoming the banana in our fruit salad. But then this weirdo perv came sneaking out of the woods. He was in all camo, I suppose just so he could sneak up on innocent picnickers and do a bit of peeping. I won't lie--it was more than off-putting, it was scary. We tidied ourselves up a bit, not having expected company, and I tried offering the guy a beer. My girl had an expectant look on her voluptuous face. I had a weird vibe from this camo-dude when he turned down a beer, who does that after 9am?? He was really making eyes at the fish I had landed and I thought it was time to get going so I asked him to move along. Not long after I moved from Missouri, there were just getting to be too many weirdos out in the woods...

This is beyond hilarious for all those who have read this thread from its infancy

MeatBuck

WKR

(NOP)

FNG
Well this has been a great read right before I'm about to head out on a solo muzzleloader backpacking trip in western SD.

So this is my first post on the forum... normally I don't post much on forums cause I feel I don't have much to add.

About 15 years ago I was rifle hunting in northern Minnesota. I am walking into the woods to a spot where I intend to put up my climbing stand. I hear a noise to my right side. I stop wait a few seconds, don't hear anything. So I start walking again and this time i definitely hear something walking on the fresh snow. I stop again this time. It stops. Start walking again. This time I hear foot steps to the left. My hair stands up on the back of my neck. I realize my rifle is unloaded so I quickly fumble around and get the mag full and one in the pipe. I continue to my spot and finally get setup. 10 minutes later the howls of wolves let loose from all sides of the woods. Sent shivers down my spine.

I hunt for a few hours and of course I don't see any deer.

Looking at my foot tracks I had wolves tracking me from the sides about 30 yards off the trail and one set right on top of my tracks.

I now keep my gun loaded from the moment I get out of the truck.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Not spooky, but wierd, certainly not what we expected to see...

First time hunting out West a couple years ago, Colorado archery elk. Driving down a very rough dirt road due to recent logging in the area, came across this paper plate sign hanging in a tree about 100 yds before we came across a camper from someone who had obviously been living there for awhile.

First thought it was some wierd dude. Drove back later and saw same sign coming from the opposite direction, realized this time that it was woman's handwriting, then passed the camper with a loggers looking pickup truck sitting next to it...like the camper was a certain lady offering "services".

Attachments

• 20180923_114609.jpg
    20180923_114609.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 570

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
3 years ago I was hunting antelope out in the northern part of the Red Desert in Wy, near an area called Bison Basin. I was hunting alone and put on a short stalk over a ridge on a group and picked out a nice buck and put the shot on him he dropped and I made my way out to field dress and tag him and get him loaded up. It was about 200 yards out to where he dropped and as I'm walking out and nearing him I look off in the distance towards the south and see an extremely bright light heading quickly in my direction.

I'm a little confused at first because there was no road out there, I thought maybe it was a game warden in a side by side coming to check my tags and what not after he heard me shoot. The light was about 2 miles off when I first noticed it. I get to the buck and see the light still zooming toward me, hovering about just above the sage brush, its about a mile out and I notice there is no sound at all expecting to hear a motor running at this point. I also notice that with the sun setting behind me and the light in front of me it appears to be almost a reflection from the setting sun, like a mirror zooming over the top of the sage. I started to get spooked at this point. I divert my attention from the light and quickly fill out my tag and tie it on his horn and I look up and see the still silent light is about a quarter mile off and it dives down behind some sage and I don't see it anymore.

At this point I'm ready to gtfo, I field dress as fast as I possibly can all the while peeking up to see if the light has returned, after about 2-3 minutes I look up and about 5 miles in the distance I see the light now zooming away from me across the prairie, its going faster than any side by side or atv could possibly travel in that terrain and it has covered about a 4-5 mile distance in a matter of minutes. I finish dressing and then nearly run/drag the antelope back to the road and run to my truck get the antelope loaded into the cooler and gtfo. No clue what that light was that day, I asked around if game and fish has been using drones to observe hunters and they have not been doing that, plus a drone would have made a considerable amount of noise given it came close enough for me to hear it especially given the size. Would love to know what I saw that day, spooked me pretty good.
My buddy and I had something very similar happen to us in early October of this year. BC Canada. I get back to camp around 8pm from my day hunt and my buddies watching my brother skin a blackbear he just killed. My buddy tells me he got a bad shot on a mule deer buck up on the mountain and lost the blood trail. I tell him were going up and finding that buck so we set off on our atv's.

We get up to around 7000ft on the atv's and set off on foot to the spot he shot the buck. We blood trail for a good couple hours before I decide to call it quits and look in the morning. As we head out of the dese timber towards our atv's I look up and see what looks like a bright red/orange flare. I'm thinking that's weird @ 12a.m. It's not a flare because it's just hovering there dead still and is getting brighter and closer. It wasn't until we look to our right and see 2 more further off to the horizon when we started to really think wtf! Drones looking for poachers at night? No noise and very strong winds, it can't be. When the clouds passed in front of the lights we could see the amber/red glow reflecting off the clouds.

Were both feeling creeped out so decide to just head towards the atv's. About 5 mins later we look up and notice all 3 lights are in a totally different part of the sky and slowly moving around. We both felt like these were things "observing us" because we had our headlamps on shining around a forest for 2 hours on the top of a mountain at midnight. These lights almost seemed curious as to what we were doing.

We get on our atv's and head down the mountain in a hurry. The sky was 90% clear that night so you could see the milky way and the stars besides the odd bit of cloud rushing by. As we look back to get a different look/view point the entire sky as far as the eye could see is completely black in cloud cover. Such a dense dark high ceiling black you wouldn't know the sky was covered in even there, just a limit less space of blackness. We still have no idea what it was.

We asked Conservation officers if they were using any drones in the area and the answer was no. I have a very poor quality vid of it. I thought, know one ever films there experience so I'm whipping out my camera.

Not spooky, but wierd, certainly not what we expected to see...

First time hunting out West a couple years ago, Colorado archery elk. Driving down a very rough dirt road due to recent logging in the area, came across this paper plate sign hanging in a tree about 100 yds before we came across a camper from someone who had obviously been living there for awhile.

First thought it was some wierd dude. Drove back later and saw same sign coming from the opposite direction, realized this time that it was woman's handwriting, then passed the camper with a loggers looking pickup truck sitting next to it...like the camper was a certain lady offering "services".
I'm trying to decipher the Paper Plate Message. Naked Happy Camper is obvious, but what the heck does "60 Barefoot All Over" mean.

Is it simply a warning that there's a 60 year old naked person ahead who walks around barefoot all over the place?

Or, maybe "Naked Happy Camper" is the Business Name, 60 is a dollar figure, and "Barefoot All Over" was that day's special. Like for 60 Dollars you get a Barefoot Massage or something?

You really should have stopped in to check it out.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to decipher the Paper Plate Message. Naked Happy Camper is obvious, but what the heck does "60 Barefoot All Over" mean.

Is it simply a warning that there's a 60 year old naked person ahead who walks around barefoot all over the place?

Or, maybe "Naked Happy Camper" is the Business Name, 60 is a dollar figure, and "Barefoot All Over" was that day's special. Like for 60 Dollars you get a Barefoot Massage or something?

You really should have stopped in to check it out.

I think it says “Go barefoot all over.” It sounds like something a hippie or nudist would say.