Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Out coon hunting in HS we pulled into an old farm yard about a 1/4 mile off the road. When we came around the corner to the gate we would park at, there was an old POS truck sitting there. My buddy was instantly freaked out (he recognized the truck). He started to haul ass out of there. I new something was wrong because we were the only ones that could hunt that spot and it was like 2am. On the way out my buddy told me he thought it was two old dudes from town (known tweakers/thieves that had been in and out of jail). Pretty soon we can see there headlights behind us, before we know it they are right on our bumper. We assume they are just trying to scare us and will either go around or just ride our ass back to town. We were wrong, they started shooting at us, with some semi auto they had probably stolen. Thankfully their truck was such a POS we could out run them. We went to town and parked down the street from the house they were staying at, just to make sure it was them. We reported it to the proper authorities in the morning (not the cops), who caught up with them a few days later behind the local bar.
Not the cops, but local authorities? What came of the tweakers?

Rokbar

WKR
Out coon hunting in HS we pulled into an old farm yard about a 1/4 mile off the road. When we came around the corner to the gate we would park at, there was an old POS truck sitting there. My buddy was instantly freaked out (he recognized the truck). He started to haul ass out of there. I new something was wrong because we were the only ones that could hunt that spot and it was like 2am. On the way out my buddy told me he thought it was two old dudes from town (known tweakers/thieves that had been in and out of jail). Pretty soon we can see there headlights behind us, before we know it they are right on our bumper. We assume they are just trying to scare us and will either go around or just ride our ass back to town. We were wrong, they started shooting at us, with some semi auto they had probably stolen. Thankfully their truck was such a POS we could out run them. We went to town and parked down the street from the house they were staying at, just to make sure it was them. We reported it to the proper authorities in the morning (not the cops), who caught up with them a few days later behind the local bar.
One of the best stories in a while.

I only have one person at work that I talk / go hunting with and he doesn't even know that story.

Sadly these 5 people are legit satanists. They may be egging some stuff on..but listening to their conversations..there is just some stuff that is creepy... the coffin girl has the devil tattoo'd on her calf ..and the other one is deep in the voodoo /witchcraft portion
What the hell, how old are these chick's jeeez

Coldtrail

WKR
Interesting following this thread, you see some common themes. I recall as a teenager sitting around the campfire with some old timers and they were saying that no matter how deep in the woods you go you are never alone. One way or another there seems to be some truth to that.

Coldtrail

WKR
When I was growing up in WI my grandparents lived in a pretty remote area, dead end road on a lake & the only year round residents. Directly across the road was a huge hill and at the top were a bunch of indian burial mounds, really neat spot. Eventually people being the idiots they are, somebody went in and dug them up to steal artifacts. Shortly after the following events occurred, keep in mind there might be 10-20 people living in the couple square miles from this spot.

Lightning strikes a horse stable, starts it on fire, all horses die

Different horse farm a girl is riding down the shoulder of the road and gets hit by car, horse, driver, and girl all killed

Man lighting his furnace, house explodes killing him

Two different fisherman fall out of their boats and drown

Nothing noteworthy happened in this neighborhood for years leading up to this.

Also, if you are familiar with the Chai Vang incident where he murdered 6 hunters in NW Wi, the area where that occurred has a very rich tribal history, as well as notorious looting and stealing of artifacts from the many caves in that area, even rumors of entire mummified corpses being removed from the caves and sold on the black market.....just sayin'

When I was growing up in WI my grandparents lived in a pretty remote area, dead end road on a lake & the only year round residents. Directly across the road was a huge hill and at the top were a bunch of indian burial mounds, really neat spot. Eventually people being the idiots they are, somebody went in and dug them up to steal artifacts. Shortly after the following events occurred, keep in mind there might be 10-20 people living in the couple square miles from this spot.

Lightning strikes a horse stable, starts it on fire, all horses die

Different horse farm a girl is riding down the shoulder of the road and gets hit by car, horse, driver, and girl all killed

Man lighting his furnace, house explodes killing him

Two different fisherman fall out of their boats and drown

Nothing noteworthy happened in this neighborhood for years leading up to this.

Also, if you are familiar with the Chai Vang incident where he murdered 6 hunters in NW Wi, the area where that occurred has a very rich tribal history, as well as notorious looting and stealing of artifacts from the many caves in that area, even rumors of entire mummified corpses being removed from the caves and sold on the black market.....just sayin'
Chai Vang was arrested at the end of a two track that led to a logging landing where my buddy and I used to camp. An odd set of circumstances led to us not being there. We would have heard every shot he took and he would’ve walked through our camp had we been there. We kind of feel like the guys who didn’t get on the plane that crashed. It’s a little creepy thinking about how close we were to being there.

Got another one, but definitely not backcountry.

My buddy and I have an urban honey hole. Some great deer, but not aesthetically pleasing as a hunt goes. Noisy, garbage strewn... but close.

I went in early one day, well before light. The property owner does not want anyone aware that we hunt the property. They don’t want lunatics protesting. So no headlamp or flashlight. We’ve stuffed deer in my buddy’s trunk to be discreet in departures.

I’m set up in my stand with my bow as the first hint of light begins to make it possible to see some details.

I hear some rustling sounds near my stand, but don’t think it’s a deer. I’m wondering, “Coyote? Raccoon? Possum?... Man, I hope it’s not a skunk!”

Some movement catches my eye and I turn my head. A zombie rises up out of the ground. WTF?!?!

Some meth-head, homeless dude crawled out of his hidden, fort/house under a brush pile, looking like something out of the Walking Dead.

I’ve very much enjoyed reading this thread. I’ll chime in with an creepy and scary as hell experience from 32 years ago. Let me set the stage: So at the time I’m 14 years old and love to turkey hunt. My Dad, while a knowledgeable deer and small game hunter, doesn’t turkey hunt so everything I knew at that point was self taught and I’m always hunting solo. I had permission to turkey hunt a small tract about a half mile from my house. As always the birds were on the neighbor’s place and I’d hear them gobbling over there routinely. (I’ve always said you could have a hunting area the size of GA and the birds would roost on the line and fly down into SC!) Man I would have done anything to get over there and hunt! I just knew I’d kill one if I could just hunt that place.
Now this was in the days before ATV’s, and I was too young to drive, so if I went hunting over there it was with good ole boot leather alone. So I called the neighboring landowner one day (very old man) and asked for permission. He was a family friend and we went to church with him…ain’t no way he’d say “no!” Well, he said “no” and it pissed me off so bad, and I was so geared and geeked up to kill my first turkey, that I was like, “hell, I’m going anyway! What’s the chance of me getting caught or something bad happening? I mean no 14 year old is going to jail for that, right?!” (Que the awfully dumb 14 year old decision music here)
So I set out on foot, wearing my dad’s oversized snake boots, on an afternoon turkey hunt in May in GA. No water and it’s 85*. So I’m walking the edge of this huge field and calling every so often. I’m sweating with every step from the GA heat and from thinking I’m headed straight to a long and significant prison term if I get caught! Not to mention I’m wearing full camo and a headnet to help make my identification hard for anybody! The field edge is kind of grown up with waist high grass and weeds but at the woodline the grass isn’t high at all. All of a sudden I look at the edge of the woods in a sandy little shaded area and I see a pack of 6 mean looking wild dogs (definitely no collars) laying there. 4 pit bulls and 2 other cross breeds.
So my 14 year old mind immediately processed the situation and determined that a fellow poacher must have killed them in the past couple hours and dumped them there. So I think “damn this place is full of poachers (including me!) I’ve got to get out of here!” So I decide to leave but first I’m gonna give one last series of yelps and see if any of those wild dogs move. So I cut loose with a cackle and some cutts….
All of a sudden the “dead” dogs come to life, see me, and immediately charge! I yell at them but they’re barking, growling and running straight for me! I turn to run and actually do for 20-30 yards and then think, “dammit son, you’re armed with a 12 GA!” So I stop and the grass is so high I can’t see them but I see the grass moving and they’re headed right for me. I stop and holler at them. I fire a warning shot…nothing will stop the charge. The lead dog is a big pitbull and he pops out with teeth bared and lunges for me! I roll him up and at about 2 feet he skids to a stop right at my feet. 3 other mean bastards pop out of the grass and immediately circle me while growling and barking. One lunges at me and I get 2 of them. The remaining ones run to the woodline and stop and stare at me while growling.
My poaching days done, I immediately turn and start fast walking headed for home. As I’m leaving one of the growlers makes a charge while my back is turned but I hear him rustling in the grass and turn and shoot him at about 10 steps (I had the shotgun’s plug out because of 14 year old me reasoned that if you’re going to be an outlaw you might as well go whole hog!)
I get home and am white as a sheet and shaking. My parents ask what’s wrong and what happened and of course I can’t tell them because they’ll turn me in to the authorities because they’re good Christian folks that couldn’t stand to have an outlaw as a son. I still get chills thinking about it. And trust me, y’all, I have turned from my outlaw ways and now only hunt on property that I either own or have complete permission to be on. I certainly don’t condone my actions that day but if I hadn’t done what I had to do I would not be here today. They would have torn me to pieces. Scariest day of my life in the woods.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I’ve very much enjoyed reading this thread. I’ll chime in with an creepy and scary as hell experience from 32 years ago. Let me set the stage: So at the time I’m 14 years old and love to turkey hunt. My Dad, while a knowledgeable deer and small game hunter, doesn’t turkey hunt so everything I knew at that point was self taught and I’m always hunting solo. I had permission to turkey hunt a small tract about a half mile from my house. As always the birds were on the neighbor’s place and I’d hear them gobbling over there routinely. (I’ve always said you could have a hunting area the size of GA and the birds would roost on the line and fly down into SC!) Man I would have done anything to get over there and hunt! I just knew I’d kill one if I could just hunt that place.
Now this was in the days before ATV’s, and I was too young to drive, so if I went hunting over there it was with good ole boot leather alone. So I called the neighboring landowner one day (very old man) and asked for permission. He was a family friend and we went to church with him…ain’t no way he’d say “no!” Well, he said “no” and it pissed me off so bad, and I was so geared and geeked up to kill my first turkey, that I was like, “hell, I’m going anyway! What’s the chance of me getting caught or something bad happening? I mean no 14 year old is going to jail for that, right?!” (Que the awfully dumb 14 year old decision music here)
So I set out on foot, wearing my dad’s oversized snake boots, on an afternoon turkey hunt in May in GA. No water and it’s 85*. So I’m walking the edge of this huge field and calling every so often. I’m sweating with every step from the GA heat and from thinking I’m headed straight to a long and significant prison term if I get caught! Not to mention I’m wearing full camo and a headnet to help make my identification hard for anybody! The field edge is kind of grown up with waist high grass and weeds but at the woodline the grass isn’t high at all. All of a sudden I look at the edge of the woods in a sandy little shaded area and I see a pack of 6 mean looking wild dogs (definitely no collars) laying there. 4 pit bulls and 2 other cross breeds.
So my 14 year old mind immediately processed the situation and determined that a fellow poacher must have killed them in the past couple hours and dumped them there. So I think “damn this place is full of poachers (including me!) I’ve got to get out of here!” So I decide to leave but first I’m gonna give one last series of yelps and see if any of those wild dogs move. So I cut loose with a cackle and some cutts….
All of a sudden the “dead” dogs come to life, see me, and immediately charge! I yell at them but they’re barking, growling and running straight for me! I turn to run and actually do for 20-30 yards and then think, “dammit son, you’re armed with a 12 GA!” So I stop and the grass is so high I can’t see them but I see the grass moving and they’re headed right for me. I stop and holler at them. I fire a warning shot…nothing will stop the charge. The lead dog is a big pitbull and he pops out with teeth bared and lunges for me! I roll him up and at about 2 feet he skids to a stop right at my feet. 3 other mean bastards pop out of the grass and immediately circle me while growling and barking. One lunges at me and I get 2 of them. The remaining ones run to the woodline and stop and stare at me while growling.
My poaching days done, I immediately turn and start fast walking headed for home. As I’m leaving one of the growlers makes a charge while my back is turned but I hear him rustling in the grass and turn and shoot him at about 10 steps (I had the shotgun’s plug out because of 14 year old me reasoned that if you’re going to be an outlaw you might as well go whole hog!)
I get home and am white as a sheet and shaking. My parents ask what’s wrong and what happened and of course I can’t tell them because they’ll turn me in to the authorities because they’re good Christian folks that couldn’t stand to have an outlaw as a son. I still get chills thinking about it. And trust me, y’all, I have turned from my outlaw ways and now only hunt on property that I either own or have complete permission to be on. I certainly don’t condone my actions that day but if I hadn’t done what I had to do I would not be here today. They would have torn me to pieces. Scariest day of my life in the woods.

Good story. Maybe one of the top 5 in this thread, especially when considering your derelict, crime ridden youth and what you do for a living now. :D

And taking out that plug likely saved your azz big time.

Eddie

Good story. Maybe one of the top 5 in this thread, especially when considering your derelict, crime ridden youth and what you do for a living now. :D

And taking out that plug likely saved your azz big time.

Eddie
Man I completely agree about the unplugged gun! An outlaw move that potentially saved my ass from a mauling!

And as far as my current profession you could argue that my outlaw ways prepared me for a life of shadiness and representing outlaws or you could argue the flip side that I’m now an elected part time prosecutor in addition to my normal law practice and I prosecute folks in court for doing the same thing I did back 30+ years ago.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, Karma, life has come full circle, etc…all of the above!😂😂

S7even

FNG
I love this thread, I've read through all the pages so far and there's some interesting stories for sure. The most unexplained thing that has happened to me was two September's ago in central Idaho during archery elk. On two separate occasions I heard distinct wood on wood knocking sounds. One time I was by myself and the sound seemed like it was coming from across the other side of a drainage and I'm almost positive no one was there because I was parked at the end of the road and I hadn't seen any other vehicles. The other time was about a mile or two away in the same general area about a week later with my hunting buddy, that day it was raining real bad and we hadn't seen any other cars around or signs of people either. We both heard it this time and agreed that it sounded like someone was hitting a chunk of wood against another. It was loud and sharp sounding, it didn't have a pattern, anywhere from about 15 seconds to a minute apart and went on for probably 30-45 minutes or so both times. It definitely didn't sound like two trees being blown together by the wind.

I love this thread, I've read through all the pages so far and there's some interesting stories for sure. The most unexplained thing that has happened to me was two September's ago in central Idaho during archery elk. On two separate occasions I heard distinct wood on wood knocking sounds. One time I was by myself and the sound seemed like it was coming from across the other side of a drainage and I'm almost positive no one was there because I was parked at the end of the road and I hadn't seen any other vehicles. The other time was about a mile or two away in the same general area about a week later with my hunting buddy, that day it was raining real bad and we hadn't seen any other cars around or signs of people either. We both heard it this time and agreed that it sounded like someone was hitting a chunk of wood against another. It was loud and sharp sounding, it didn't have a pattern, anywhere from about 15 seconds to a minute apart and went on for probably 30-45 minutes or so both times. It definitely didn't sound like two trees being blown together by the wind.
I heard that in the elk woods too, ended up blowing out a bull rubbing on a tree trunk with no branches. :)

Yarak

WKR
I had a weird one happen last weekend. Was hiking half to get into shape half to hunt. It had just finished raining and still had those wet clouds/mist in the air that you could see floating around in your headlamp. I was hiking up to a point in a popular trail where I’d leave it in hopes to set eyes on a new spot I’ve never been to before. The blueberries looked ripe and the bear hunting should be getting good soon and I wanted to get my scouting of new places out of the way early on in the year. I need up hiking a ridge where one side transitioned into a steep meadow that I sadly couldn’t see into, the other side was a cliff that overlooked a large valley and a lake. Would have been quite the views if I could see past 100yds. After another mile off trail I decided to make breakfast and then if no signs of clearing make my way back to the main trail and call it a day. I had located an old abandoned trail that would get lost in the tree patches and I’d have to pick it up later, I read once that the main trail I was on was made in 1999, and made me wonder if the trail I was on was the old one that took it down to the lake. This was an old mining area also and I came across a large hole in the rocky ground that was about 10’ across abs 6’ deep. A large Boulder had been set which looked like intentionally, which made be think an old mine shaft? On my way out I kept checking my onX map to track my progress, and one side of the ridge being a cliff and one side being a meadow it should be fairly straightforward. About halfway back I hit a patch of small trees (things don’t grow fast about 5000’ and in snow half the year) and followed the trail into the trees. Lost the trail and picked another one up and started following it, hiking along as come across another hole in the ground that looked oddly like the first, so I looked at it a bit and thought to myself I didn’t remember how steep the hillside was coming in here…as I start climbing a long hill I get to the top and something doesn’t feel right. I check my map and I am currently farther down the trail than I had been the first time. How I got turned a 180 and didn’t realize it is still a blur. It’s almost like that portion of my memory isn’t there. I’m generally very good with directions and natural self awareness of where I am, but for some reason this one gave me the weirds. I kept that map in hand the whole way back to the main trail! Still perplexed by it…maybe the eerie silence and fog added to the experience?
As long as you didn’t feel as though you had been violated then I’d chalk it up confusion in direction