Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Moserkr

WKR
What if you're the type that rides that fine line between solitude and isolation & find going into town to the grocery store "creepy"?......asking for a friend
I’d take the living in the creepy 1870’s house from @Nickofthewoods over going shopping with the “people of walmart” anyday of the week.

Threads slow…. Let the stories roll.

Gen273

WKR
How far are we willing to stray from the term "backcountry" in the interest of keeping this thread going? Because for 10 years I lived in a house that was built in the 1870's in a mining town in the Colorado Mountains. I have some real doozy's from that place....
I am all for you sharing your stories.

I’d take the living in the creepy 1870’s house from @Nickofthewoods over going shopping with the “people of walmart” anyday of the week.

Threads slow…. Let the stories roll.

In the interest of keeping the best thread on Rokslide going, here are some stories from my time living in a creepy old miner's house in the Colorado Mountains.

Let me preface by saying that the house, located at 9,000 ft in Colorado, was built in the 1870's according to information from the historical society. It was built up against the side of a mountain and the entrance to an old mineshaft is directly behind the kitchen wall. It's also not far from several old cemeteries.

Within the first month that I lived there I woke up at 4am one morning to very intense pain in my foot. There was a little bit of light that came into the room from one of the street lamps outside so it wasn't completely pitch black. As I opened my eyes to look down toward my foot I saw the silhouette of a very short man at the end of the bed by my feet. It was only for a second but the details that are forever seared into my memory is that he was short, maybe only 5 ft tall, was wearing a top hat with a brim, and had a white or grey beard. The pain in my foot was very strange too, my foot was very hot and felt like it was being crushed or squeezed in a vice. I haven't felt a similar pain to that either before or after that night. The shadowy man fit the description of an old miner pretty well as far as I could tell.

Another night later that year I was watching a movie when my peripheral vision saw something cross the hallway from a room into the hall closet. By this time, I had lived there for awhile and was pretty freaked out by all this stuff so I literally just got up and left the house with the movie still playing and some of the lights still on. After clearing my head for about 20 minutes and feeling ridiculous for being so freaked out I returned home. When I went back inside I got even more freaked out because the tv had been turned off and the kitchen lights had been messed with. The kitchen lights were track lights and were all now pointed toward the back wall of the kitchen where the mine shaft entrance was. That event made me reconsider living there.

Several times I could just feel something "there" and the hair on my scalp would just tingle. That's a bad feeling if you've never had it.

Most of the weird stuff that happened was in the first year or so that I lived there and I got used to it eventually. I also got a dog and that helped a lot. The last several years I lived there were uneventful. I kinda want to contact the new owners and ask them what they've experienced. If you ever get the chance to live alone in a old miner's cabin for awhile, it'll definitely spice up some of your evenings.

Moserkr

WKR
@Nickofthewoods Man that is creepy. That being said, the tv thing and lights pointing to the mine shaft…. Either a spirit was trying to lead you to your death, or the motherload. Seeing as I dont believe in ghosts (yet?), I would have been searching for treasure lol.

@Nickofthewoods Man that is creepy. That being said, the tv thing and lights pointing to the mine shaft…. Either a spirit was trying to lead you to your death, or the motherload. Seeing as I dont believe in ghosts (yet?), I would have been searching for treasure lol.
Haha yeah it would have been cool to go into that mine shaft but I would have had to demo the back wall where the kitchen sink and fridge were so it would have turned into a full kitchen remodel.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Alrighty, maybe this forum can help solve a mystery for me. I was hunting in Arizona January 2021, standing on Indian head mountain getting set up to glass for javelina and coues deer. Full sun, blue sky. Then I saw a white flash. Very quick, like a flicker. The whole sky and landscape appeared to blink white. There was no sound. I didn't have any feelings like fear or disturbance. It was just an odd, unmistakable phenomena.

Later at camp I asked my buddy, "hey, when we were up on the mountain, did you see . . ." He finished my sentence ". . . the flash?"

So he had seen the phenomena too. Except he was on a different part of the mountain and said he had seen a focal point of brightness near the San Rafael valley. He said it seemed to flash and tumble briefly before it disappeared.

We have both puzzled over that experience. Thoughts?

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Alrighty, maybe this forum can help solve a mystery for me. I was hunting in Arizona January 2021, standing on Indian head mountain getting set up to glass for javelina and coues deer. Full sun, blue sky. Then I saw a white flash. Very quick, like a flicker. The whole sky and landscape appeared to blink white. There was no sound. I didn't have any feelings like fear or disturbance. It was just an odd, unmistakable phenomena.

Later at camp I asked my buddy, "hey, when we were up on the mountain, did you see . . ." He finished my sentence ". . . the flash?"

So he had seen the phenomena too. Except he was on a different part of the mountain and said he had seen a focal point of brightness near the San Rafael valley. He said it seemed to flash and tumble briefly before it disappeared.

We have both puzzled over that experience. Thoughts?

A7D2F1B6-DC61-40D0-98EF-5EDC494DD72A.jpeg

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Was on a solo hunt in the trinity's back in 2015. I hiked into a remote area off trail and set up camp for the night. Laying there in my bag looking up at the stars, I noticed a very faint flash, almost imperceptible and at first, I thought it was just my imagination. After a few more flashes I realized it was some kind of light coming from the ground level and not from up in the sky because I could see the underside of the trees light up each time it happened. Thinking it may be a trail cam I layed there as still as possible thinking maybe movement was triggering it, but it kept happening. Thinking maybe it was on some kind of timer I started counting to see if the flashes were evenly spaced. The flashes were happening at random intervals. This went on for at least an hour until I finally drifted off to sleep. The next morning, I searched high and low for a trail cam or anything out of the ordinary but found nothing. Still don't really know what it was that I was seeing but I know there were definitely flashes going off like a camera flash except very faint, but enough to illuminate the bottom side of the branches in the trees around me. Made me a little uneasy for the rest of the trip.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Was on a solo hunt in the trinity's back in 2015. I hiked into a remote area off trail and set up camp for the night. Laying there in my bag looking up at the stars, I noticed a very faint flash, almost imperceptible and at first, I thought it was just my imagination. After a few more flashes I realized it was some kind of light coming from the ground level and not from up in the sky because I could see the underside of the trees light up each time it happened. Thinking it may be a trail cam I layed there as still as possible thinking maybe movement was triggering it, but it kept happening. Thinking maybe it was on some kind of timer I started counting to see if the flashes were evenly spaced. The flashes were happening at random intervals. This went on for at least an hour until I finally drifted off to sleep. The next morning, I searched high and low for a trail cam or anything out of the ordinary but found nothing. Still don't really know what it was that I was seeing but I know there were definitely flashes going off like a camera flash except very faint, but enough to illuminate the bottom side of the branches in the trees around me. Made me a little uneasy for the rest of the trip.
I got nothin . . .