Creosote Log/ Wood Stove Maintenance

mwebs

WKR
Figure a bunch of guys on here run stoves, anyone use those creosote logs? I have a straight pipe and last year burned around two cords without sweeping. When I got in there in the spring there was decent build up, but nothing to alarming, enough to make me think about sweeping mid winter but I’m lazy.. So if anyone has used one of those logs I would like to hear your opinion. This year I have better seasoned wood and more Doug fir so should burn cleaner.

Bru2

FNG
The creosote logs definitely help to thin some build up. I wouldn’t bank on that being your only option but they’ll help you get through the cold months until you get the chance to clean it.

Ive heard of burning an aluminum can works to clean a stove pipe, but never tried it. I get a wood stove installed in the house this month.

archp625

WKR
Figure a bunch of guys on here run stoves, anyone use those creosote logs? I have a straight pipe and last year burned around two cords without sweeping. When I got in there in the spring there was decent build up, but nothing to alarming, enough to make me think about sweeping mid winter but I’m lazy.. So if anyone has used one of those logs I would like to hear your opinion. This year I have better seasoned wood and more Doug fir so should burn cleaner.
What kind of stove are we talking about?

bairdi

FNG
There's no substitute for burning good dry wood. I used go through ~4 cords of birch a winter with very little creosote build up other than a little on the cap and just below. I'm sure having double walled stove pipe helped a lot with that too. Basically had that Blaze King stove burning almost constantly from October through mid-April each year. I think those creosote remover logs can be bad for the catalyst in some of stoves with catalytic converters. I sure miss that big behemoth of a stove in my old house. There's no better feeling heat in the winter than wood heat. Even at -20 outside all day, it'd keep a drafty, not the best insulated cabin at 68-70 deg for 8-10 hours between feedings.

I use red devil creosote remover. It’s a loose powder you sprinkle on like every 3rd fire. It does wonders to keep creosote under control.

OP
M

mwebs

WKR
What kind of stove are we talking about?

It’s a newer Quadra Fire, so secondary burns unless all the way choked. I feel fairly confident in burning all winter without sweeping, just piece of mind I guess.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Are these indoor or outdoor burners? If its outdoor, load that thing up with cardboard and let it rip to eat the creosote. I do that maybe twice a season.

We use the Rutland brand crystal powder that is direct sprinkle on hot coal bed once a week.
Once a month I break out the binos and glass the pipe cap. If I see any build up on cap I will open up pipe above stove and inspect. Yet another reason to invest in good glass!
It does suck having to climb on a two story roof in January to sweep.
Last year we started burning North Idaho Energy Logs at night for long hot clean burns.

OP
M

mwebs

WKR
I clean from the bottom, it’s pretty much impossible from my roof without taking the pipe off. I’ll check out these powders and pull the pipe off on a warm day in February and check everything out.

Elk97

WKR
Been heating with wood for 40-50 years and I've found the best way to keep the pipe clean is to build up a big fire in the morning and run it wide open for an hour or so. Really get it cookin. Currently using pitchy Doug fir and it builds a lot of creosote but only have to clean the pipe once a year. Tried all the powders over the years, never saw that they really did much. Sure miss being able to burn Tamarack, that's some nice fire wood

Owned two different Quadra Fires over the past 30 years, grew up with wood stoves. These Quadra Fires are great and burn real clean. All types of crap wood not like hard woods. Season & dry key. I toss in Kwik Shot sticks every so often as per the sticks. Check my stove pipes and cleaned the stove this year after 2 cords a season no real build up problems at all, more dusty soot than creosote.

Rokbar

WKR
I have a quadra fire 4300, great stove. I brush mine twice a season and get about a gallon of cresote each brushing. I burn oak or locust, seasoned. My chimney is a least 25 foot. My quads fire has the fire board in the top. If you get a lot of cresote it can fall down, pile up, and catch fire. Had it happen last year. Sounded like a freight train driving by. I have the 6 inch stainless flu. I run my stove throttled down quite a bit. I believe that builds cresote more. There is no heat like wood heat. Sorry, but cant answer on the resote logs.