CRF holding on to cartridge

Sled

WKR
how do you get a controlled round feed extractor to let go of the case when the bolt is cycled, currently it will throw 1 out of 3 rounds, the others will exit the chamber stay inside the action ready to chamber again. this is on a kimber with about 25 rounds through it and no, i can't send it back to them. the barrel is cut at 17" and they won't touch it without putting a new barrel on at my expense. this is my first and last kimber. i won't even go into the other issues i've had to deal with. just looking to get this one reliable enough for short shots on big game. it be great if it wasn't a single shot, just in case.

hodgeman

WKR
The fixed blade ejector on a CRF tends to need a little inertia. Are you working the bolt at speed?

Typically, cycle it slow and the empty stands a good chance of falling back into the action.

The CRF has a better system for extraction, the PF has a better system for ejection.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
The fixed blade ejector on a CRF tends to need a little inertia. Are you working the bolt at speed?

Typically, cycle it slow and the empty stands a good chance of falling back into the action.

The CRF has a better system for extraction, the PF has a better system for ejection.
when i first started shooting it was a slow bolt and grab the case. now that it's sighted in i'm working the bolt like i would in the field and it still won't reliably throw them. today i worked the bolt hard and only get every third case to leave the extractor.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Clean the bolt. Clean the action. Make sure the extractor blade is not damaged. Try it again.

The case is not hitting the scope is it?
Does it happen with loaded rounds and empty cases? Can you post a picture or two of the action/bolt?

Any competent gunsmith should be able to fix it for you I don’t know why you would want to send it back to Kimber. Of course I don’t know why one would want a 17” barrel either.

Wapiti1

WKR
It sounds like the ejector isn't riding right in the slot. It can hang up and not pop up into the slot in the bolt.

Couple of things to look at.

Pull out the bolt and snap a cartridge under the extractor. It should snap on the bolt face, and stay there pinned by the extractor and the rim of the bolt face. If it doesn't, the extractor needs work. This might or might not be the only issue, so go to step two below.

On an unloaded rifle, cycle the bolt all the way to the rear and see if the ejector is protruding from the slot in the bolt face. It should ride into the slot and be sticking out about 3/16" or more from the bolt face.

Pull the bolt out and with a finger push the ejector blade down and see if you feel any catching. Pay attention, also, to if the spring has some tension to it when you push down (could be a weak/broken spring). When released it should pop up instantly. If it feels smooth here, then the issue is that it isn't lining up with the bolt slot every time you cycle it. If it binds, then there are burrs, a weak/broken spring, or the ejector blade is bent.

All of these are fixable and pretty standard fair for a gunsmith or an ambitious amateur.

Jeremy

16Bore

WKR
You have to “work” a CRF bolt, can’t ease it back and watch it sling like push feed. And supposedly you should load it from the mag and not place a round on top of the follower.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
It sounds like the ejector isn't riding right in the slot. It can hang up and not pop up into the slot in the bolt.

Couple of things to look at.

Pull out the bolt and snap a cartridge under the extractor. It should snap on the bolt face, and stay there pinned by the extractor and the rim of the bolt face. If it doesn't, the extractor needs work. This might or might not be the only issue, so go to step two below.

On an unloaded rifle, cycle the bolt all the way to the rear and see if the ejector is protruding from the slot in the bolt face. It should ride into the slot and be sticking out about 3/16" or more from the bolt face.

Pull the bolt out and with a finger push the ejector blade down and see if you feel any catching. Pay attention, also, to if the spring has some tension to it when you push down (could be a weak/broken spring). When released it should pop up instantly. If it feels smooth here, then the issue is that it isn't lining up with the bolt slot every time you cycle it. If it binds, then there are burrs, a weak/broken spring, or the ejector blade is bent.

All of these are fixable and pretty standard fair for a gunsmith or an ambitious amateur.

Jeremy
I will check number 1 when I get back to the rifle this week. I did have a look at the ejector blade and it seems smooth has good rebound.

Unfired rounds and previously fired brass will eject with ease even when slow cycled. Not sure why live fire changes that?

Wapiti1

WKR
I will check number 1 when I get back to the rifle this week. I did have a look at the ejector blade and it seems smooth has good rebound.

Unfired rounds and previously fired brass will eject with ease even when slow cycled. Not sure why live fire changes that?

Often, live fire is all on the bench and the way you grasp and cycle the bolt is different than cycling it off the bench. It puts different pressure on the bolt and changes how it moves. If that is the case, it is most likely that the ejector isn't riding into the slot.

This is often from the bolt rotating too far or not far enough in the raceway (being a little loose) and the slot isn't centered on the ejector blade, so it catches on the side of the bolt. Sometimes it catches and never comes up, other times it catches and comes up late barely knocking the cartridge off the face.

Chamber an empty case, and see if it does it with upward pressure on the bolt handle through the cycle. Then try it with a straight back pull, and finally with downward pressure. I bet one of those will start to show the issue.

Jeremy

Sevens

WKR
Always felt the blade ejector on a CRF was better for both. Work the bolt slow and brass stays close, or work the bolt fast and fling the brass far away.

If working correctly, you should be able to cycle a full magazine of rounds without actually having to close the bolt as the claw should grab each round when pushed forward from the magazine. Good example in this video.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Often, live fire is all on the bench and the way you grasp and cycle the bolt is different than cycling it off the bench. It puts different pressure on the bolt and changes how it moves. If that is the case, it is most likely that the ejector isn't riding into the slot.

This is often from the bolt rotating too far or not far enough in the raceway (being a little loose) and the slot isn't centered on the ejector blade, so it catches on the side of the bolt. Sometimes it catches and never comes up, other times it catches and comes up late barely knocking the cartridge off the face.

Chamber an empty case, and see if it does it with upward pressure on the bolt handle through the cycle. Then try it with a straight back pull, and finally with downward pressure. I bet one of those will start to show the issue.

Jeremy

I went through the gun pretty good last night. I am unable to duplicate the issue without live fire. Even simulating the prone position which is what I was shooting when the issues occurred. It is possible that I was stopping my throat short and due to this action being new to me. I don't believe I was doing that just not willing to rule it out. This is the first rifle that I have had this issue with, including my long actions. More reps with this rifle should tell the story. Thank you for all the help. I'll update this thread if I ever figure it out.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Always felt the blade ejector on a CRF was better for both. Work the bolt slow and brass stays close, or work the bolt fast and fling the brass far away.

If working correctly, you should be able to cycle a full magazine of rounds without actually having to close the bolt as the claw should grab each round when pushed forward from the magazine. Good example in this video.

I know some scoff at the cost and make fun of the “40 trick moves” Elchols does to the M70 action but if I ever hit the lottery I will have another safe brought in and will fill it with matching Classics and Legends.

Sled will definitely be interested to hear your final resolution.

Wapiti1

WKR
Keep us updated. I'm out of ideas if I can't see the rifle in person. Might be good to have a friend watch you run the action under live fire. They might spot something.

Jeremy