Crimper Die needed?

williaada

WKR
I have a Redding precision die set, and had a couple bullets become lose. Is there something I can do differently to prevent this from happening.

the other idea I had was to buy the Lee crimping die. Is this a good idea?

thanks.

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Your neck tension is off. Are you FL sizing with an S die? Make sure your bushing is appropriately sized for your specific brass. You may also try annealing to help mitigate any brass spring back post sizing.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ordered some Lee Factory Crimp Dies to try for my 6.5 CM. Been reading some (probably to much) but thought I’d try it with some Hammer Bullets.

I agree with Sawtooth; your neck tension is the problem. That said, I have been using a LEE Factory Crimp Die with very good results shooting Hammer Hunter bullets. The crimp has made significant improvements in accuracy for 4 different rifles I have developed loads with. It is worth mentioning that I am not using the crimp die according to the Lee directions but am using a "partial' or less than "full" crimp as described by another fellow on the "Hammer time forum" - his screen name is "Butter Bean". I have been using .003-.004 neck tension with the Hammer Hunter bullets and tuning for optimum crimp, FWIW.

280ack

FNG
Redding is a reputable company, call them, review your process and if the issue is on their end they will make it right. The lee die & process should not be needed.

What caliber and cartridge are you shooting ?

OP
W

williaada

WKR
Thank you all for the help. I will let everyone know what Redding has to say.

tdot

WKR
I have a Redding precision die set, and had a couple bullets become lose. Is there something I can do differently to prevent this from happening.

the other idea I had was to buy the Lee crimping die. Is this a good idea?

thanks.

Measure your neck diameter of a couple pieces of resized brass. Load bullets into them and then remeasure. What are the measurements? As others have said, you likely have a neck tension issue, but those measurements will tell us more.

OP
W

williaada

WKR
I spoke with Redding today and I need to measure my necks as suggested and then check what S Bushing I am using.

Mpruitt86

FNG
Yeah you def don’t need to crimp if your prior steps are all being accounted for correctly. I reload for f class and NEVER crimp