Crispi boots. Insulated vs non insulated

aamir200

Lil-Rokslider
Planning some western hunts in the future and was looking at getting a pair of crispi boots. I am also planning on using them some back east but I also have lacrosse boots. Question is: would you recommend insulated or non insulated for an all season boot? Looking at the idaho or nevada.

I would recoomend the insulated, their 200g isnt much. espesicly if you hunt idaho, i had 400g Danners (worst boots ever) in Idaho this year and while glassing my feet were cold. I plan to get the cripi wild rocks.

gbflyer

WKR
I have both insulated and non-insulated Crispi boots. The insulated pair is only slightly warmer. I suppose it would depend a lot on how hot of foot you have, and standing vs. hiking. I really like them both, if I were forced to only keep one pair it would be the non-insulated.

Shoes

FNG
I think if you're going to be hunting into the later seasons I would favor an all leather upper. Those cordura uppers eventually get wetted out walking in snow all day.

I'm running the idaho gtx..second pair...love them...first pair lasted 3 or 4 seasons..gave the older pair to my oldest son he is running them now for season 4 or 5 just some delam around the nose of the boot....have not had an issue with them wetting through yet but once I am in snow I throw gaiters on. Running the uninsulated for archery and down 10-15 degrees w/o issue. But when I am sitting I am usually on a pad when glassing which helps. I switch over to insulated kennetrek's for late season personally.

I typically run warm but I was fine in my uninsulated Idahos with temps in the low 20s and 8 inches of snow. I’d only go with insulation if it was a dedicated late season boot.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Guides (taller version of the Nevada’s) as my all season boot for the last three years. I have been able to bow hunt mid September on till mid November without issue. It has been a very versatile boot for me.

I have the Crispi Hunter GTX. They have 200 g of insulation which isn't much. I wear a liner sock, and a heavy wool sock to keep my feet warm. I hunted in knee high snow two years ago, and my feet stayed warm. Last year it was 40 degrees in the morning (no snow) and warmed up to 70 in the afternoon, and my feet were comfortable.
Your sock system will make a lot of difference. If you have a lot of insulation, but wear cotton socks (that don't wick) when your feet get wet from perspiration, your feet will get cold. You need a sock system that will wick the perspiration from your feet. I found my liner sock (Kenetrek Ultimate liner), and my heavy outer sock (Kenetrek Alaska wool socks) work the best for me.

OP
aamir200

aamir200

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Crispi Hunter GTX. They have 200 g of insulation which isn't much. I wear a liner sock, and a heavy wool sock to keep my feet warm. I hunted in knee high snow two years ago, and my feet stayed warm. Last year it was 40 degrees in the morning (no snow) and warmed up to 70 in the afternoon, and my feet were comfortable.
Your sock system will make a lot of difference. If you have a lot of insulation, but wear cotton socks (that don't wick) when your feet get wet from perspiration, your feet will get cold. You need a sock system that will wick the perspiration from your feet. I found my liner sock (Kenetrek Ultimate liner), and my heavy outer sock (Kenetrek Alaska wool socks) work the best for me.
That's what was thinking. I use darn tough socks now and they seem to work very well.

Jimss

WKR
I work outside in Colorado all year round. I've never had a problem with cold feet in uninsulated boots in the middle of winter...especially when I'm active. I have more problems with sweaty rather than cold feet.

If it's super cold, snowy, and I'm not moving a lot I'll use Sorels or my Lowa Tibets with thicker socks.. I also buy boots about 1 size larger so I can add padding insoles and warmer socks. I merely cinch the laces a little tighter when wearing normal socks.

IdahoHntr

WKR
It really just depends on your feet. I wear uninsulated year round. Changing out my socks as the season progresses works better for me than using insulated boots. My feet run hot though and I've just found that most the time my feet end up cold because I sweated and they're wet. Even in cold weather and snow, my feet end up colder in insulated boots than uninsulated because I end up having sweaty feet. If my feet stay dry then they stay warm and blister free, the best boots to do that for me have been a good waterproof uninsulated boot.

ramses342

FNG
I have the Crispi west rivers 400g. They work well in the snow and during the rut when I am sitting on my butt and calling but during the summer for August alpine hunting they are a little to warm for me. I have to take them off and let my feet cool down after about two or three hours. Keep in mind I have never had them on in anything below 20 degrees, and use them move of the year when its about 50 to 60 degrees and my feet are totally comfortable.

Depends mainly on the amount of hiking/sitting you plan on doing. I am out in California hunting between 8000/10000 ft for the majority of the year and I run uninsulated. I move around a lot so it works for me but in the morning my feet will be a little cold but once I start moving around its fine. I ran 200G insulated boots for one season and my feet were WAY to hot. I hope this helped some.